The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 AXE Turbo leaking?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fotorat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 AXE Turbo leaking?
    Posted: 18 Dec 12 at 15:03
I suspect my T5 174 AXE turbo is leaking oil as the egr is weeping and there is oil in the intercooler pipes right form the turbo all the way up the egr, I suspect the inlet manifold is oiled up too!

I havent had the turbo off yet, I will be building a pit next year specifically for the job.

does anyone have my symptoms and does it indicate a knackered turbo?  it still pulls fine and is only on 80K miles
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 12 at 20:11
Most VW TDI engines have quite a bit of oil in the intake plumbing, but if it gets too bad you can get a "runaway" situation where the engine is running on the oil and can't be switched off (this is bad, very bad, but doesn't happen very often).

How much oil is your engine using over what distance ?  If you aren't needing to add a lot of oil then you may not have a serious problem.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 12 at 22:26
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

Most VW TDI engines have quite a bit of oil in the intake plumbing, but if it gets too bad you can get a "runaway" situation where the engine is running on the oil and can't be switched off (this is bad, very bad, but doesn't happen very often).

How much oil is your engine using over what distance ?  If you aren't needing to add a lot of oil then you may not have a serious problem.

I agree above, my fleet use nothing for ages then a wee bit and then nothing again for a while?

All the boost hoses I have taken off have a reasonable coating, but not running out.

Monitor your oil level and check you aren't over filling?

Hope it helps?
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 12 at 04:25
My AXE (at 132K km)also has oil in the intake plumbing as well, but doesn't require topups between services, so it can't be losing much
EGR was blocked back in April

Just had the intake manifold off for a cleaning.Not much sludge in there.

I have noticed that it is a bit fumy at idle if the crancase vent pipe is removed.Disappears once the revs rise. 

Edited by Rebuild - 19 Dec 12 at 04:52
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
fotorat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fotorat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 13 at 16:33
I discoverd the oil soaked intercooler air supply pipes when the bottom pipe let go, as the lugs had worn away.

PS mine is on 79K miles

I am not using any oil to speak of, its still full following oil change 4000 miles ago.

Recently though I had the top cover off to check the power steering oil level (which was fine) and I noticed the engine oil filler neck base full again and the cam cover soaked, with thick oil residue and also the brake pipes on the ABS block were soaked and the bottom (aircon??) pipe soaked

Photos to follow

I have got the torch in there and tried to see if the filler neck is cracked, but nothing found.
griffnchl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffnchl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 13 at 23:13
Interesting, mine has the same symptoms

My mechanic friend reckons the oil is leaking out through the throttle body.
He reckons the turbo is knackered and needs replacing
But ive heard off others that the pipework does sometimes have oil in there??
The van drives great, its in the workshop to have a clutch fitted, and i mentioned to him when i dropped it off, a possible crank seal leaking, which it seems was the case. But i wasnt expecting to hear the turbo is on its last legs?

Ive had oil gather around the filler cap/ rocker cover etc for the last 3 years or so now, it doesnt really use much oil. I top it up maybe once or twice imbetween its annual service, only a litre at a time. Which i didnt think was that bad???

Whats the general view on reconditioned turbos??
any other time id say chuck a new one on but works not exactly mega busy and the clutch has cost me enough already this week!!!!

Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 13 at 01:07
AFAIK, there will always be some oil residue in the intake, due to the crankcase vent system off the rocker cover.
Check the PCV valve for operation.It is just a spring valve that "burps" excess crankcase pressure into the intake pipe,occasionally taking a little oil with it.

You can remove the intake or exhaust pipes from the turbo to check for movement in the bearings.
Also turbo seals are not conventional seals, they are more like piston rings,so are not a 100% seal

Edited by Rebuild - 21 Mar 13 at 06:44
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
fotorat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fotorat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 14 at 14:22
Update - had it on the ramps at Swindon Vw Commercial

they had no more idea than me although helped a great deal by suggesting I replace the filler neck and gaskets as they can crack

waiting for parts to arrive this week for fitting by yours truly next weekend

fingers crossed
 Post Reply Post Reply