The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T32 suspension and hubs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T32 suspension and hubs
    Posted: 31 Mar 10 at 20:48
Hi

Just had my van repaired and am in the middle of replacing the front suspension and hubs. The damage was to the osf suspension so I duly bought the wishbone, hub and driveshaft (also bought the n/s units too) from ebay and then bought 2 suspension units from a low mileage T30. On coming to fit the units it transpires that the wishbone and hub are from a T32 and the hubs are obviosly differant. The brakes and disc are the same but the hub has a differant way of attaching to the suspension leg.
Is the suspension the same and all I need is the knuckle between the hub and the leg (if there is such thing) or are the suspension struts totally differant? I plan on changing both sides and I am also changing the subframe from the T32.

Does anyone see any probs with uprating the front to a T32 set up??

Appreciate you advice and comments.

Cheers

Fuzz
Living the dream!!                   2005 T5 2.5 TDi swb 130 AXD.
Fuzzmeister View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 10 at 20:54
HI

Forgot to mention my van is a T28 130 2.5 -

Fuzz
simmytt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simmytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 10 at 07:37
The t32 front shocks are diffrent to all other models they are a bolt on rarther than clamp,i think you need to get some shocks for the t32 and maybe some springs(not sure on the springs),i dont know if the parts that go on top of the shock are the same either.I have a pair of front shocks and springs off a 2006 t32 (46000 miles) you are welcome to them but i am up in the midlands.
Only dead fish go with the flow
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 10 at 21:33
Hi Simmyt
Thanks for the info. I am guessing that the hubs bolt straight to the strut. I am at the moment negotiating with the guy who bought the struts from the guy who I bought the hubs from - guess what - they didnt fit his T30!! but he hasnt got back to me for a few days.
I may be interested in your struts but I am guessing by your reply that you havent got the top bearings? How much do you want for them and would you be able to courier them? I was in the midlands this weekend too!! - didnt know my hubs were differant til Tuesday morning thou - Dohhh!

Cheers

Fuzz
simmytt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simmytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 10 at 07:48
No sorry i only have the shocks and springs,i guess they used all the other bits when they fitted the coilovers.You can have the shocks and springs for nowt,you or anyone you know traveling up the midlands or maybe coming down south over the bank holiday ?.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 10 at 20:42
Thanks Simmyt

Thats an awesome offer and I will be in touch soon. I would like to fit the T32 suspension especially when the hubs I have bought have done the same sort of mileage as your shocks. I am hoping that the top bearings are interchangeable?? anyone else know if thats the case???
Its just a matter of weighing up my options at the moment
Will keep in keep in touch.
Many thanks again

Fuzz
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 10 at 23:57
Hi Fuzz, Big smile  You certainly are creating a bit of a hybrid!  If you change the front end for the heavier loading capacity T32 set up but leave the rear suspension the same who knows what will be the result?  The T32's do seem to be quite a different beast suspension/brakewise.  You could look up the part numbers to see if your original top mountings will fit but personally I'd stick anything T32 you've bought back on ebay and get the correct parts and save yourself the hassle.  Just my opinion though!  How's the Skoda going btw?  Smile
2004 2.5 174
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 10 at 07:29
Hi T5TDi.
Yes its proving to be a bit of a nightmare. I bought the T32 stuff not knowing they were differant. I did get an absolute bargain tho so all is not lost. I got a door, (complete)wing, driveshaft hub (2) wishbone (2) and subframe and the hubs came with near new discs and pads all from an 08 30,000 mile rear end write off all for £320. The brakes are identical - the wishbones are "chunky" but fit perfectly its just the shocks and hubs are differant. I will take your advice and fit differant rear springs if I decide to go ahead with the complete T32 swap - I am not going to carry lots of weight so I am wondering if its all worth it??
The Skoda is going fine - thanks agian - that VAG com is an awesome piece of kit!!!! - no problems at all with the power steering.
Anyway off to work now to face the onslaught of Newquays visitors for Easter.
Cheers

Fuzz
simmytt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simmytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 10 at 18:54

No problem,i have rear springs and shocks if you want to replace them as well,all the best .

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 10 at 19:59
Hi Symmit
Thanks mate you're a star

I will let you know either way after Monday (fitting the subframe - should know what I'm doing after that )

Cheers

Fuzz
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 10 at 21:09
Hi
Fitted the subframe yesterday and did some more measurements and it appears the hub isn't damaged - so at the moment I am going to stick with the stock set up and not change to the T32 hubs and shocks/springs.
Thanks Symmit for the very kind offer - you are a gent.
After fitting the subframe I did notice that the alloy mount/bracket from the engine to the 4 legged mount that attaches to the subframe is damaged at the top the bit that the OSF driveshaft bolts to.
Just as I thought I had got all the parts I needed!!!
Never mind it shouldnt be too long beore I get the old girl back on the road - patience is a virtue.

Cheers

Fuzz
Cellutron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cellutron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 22 at 17:55
Hi
Not sure when this post was made but in case it is not too late, I would like to buy your T32 hubs if you still have them. Please let know if we can do a deal on the T32 bits. Many thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply