The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange BCM behaviour

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange BCM behaviour
    Posted: 28 Jan 24 at 11:20
Hi All 
Been reading but not posting lately as I am a bit too decrepit to pick up a spanner but looking for some insight on a problem I am having with my 07 T32. During some very heavy rain " ps I live in the West of Scotland" the vans hazard lights started to flash.
I thought low battery so charged it up and it seemed ok. A few days later was taking the wife to M and S and the horn started up and the left indicator kept flashing; so trip to shops not on.
Put into a local independent and he said loads of error codes and the BCM was kaput. He said he could send it away for repair for a couple of hundred pounds.I agreed but he got back to me saying he can't get anyone to do the job and a new one is needed that will mean £700. I agreed but now he says can't get part and it is on back order. If he can't get the part in the next few days he will give me the van back as he needs the space.
My question is, what does back order mean? does it mean that the part will arrive some day in the future or the part may never arrive. Anyway any thoughts on any of my post would be good. 
Cheers 
Mechanically challenged.
Shepp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shepp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 24 at 07:07
well I'm no expert but I also had the indicators playing up on my 55 plate and it was indeed a little black magic box of tricks I needed to replace.

VW wanted far to much, like you say in the region of £700, but I managed to get a second hand one as an exact match and two plug connections was all it took, a few minutes and was easy to get at too - I was pleasantly surprised. It was a little while ago now but was around £150 from memory, just got to be careful to match the part numbers.

In me experience back order can mean a variety of things from they don't have any in stock but one is on its way from the manufacture, to there isn't any and one may arrive at some stage when they've made some......
old age traveller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 24 at 08:57
Thanks for that. I did have a look at the BCM to get the numbers. In my van the BCM is up below the steering wheel. I did see a second hand one' in Poland ' with the same numbers but decided that it was a bit of a risk as it may have the same faults.
I have read that you could use a more modern one but you would need the knowledge and equipment to do it, I have neither.
I am worried that you are spot on with your thinking on back order but I usually go to France in the summer for a few weeks and I would not like to be towed back to sunny Scotland. Thanks again for your time.
Mechanically challenged.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 24 at 21:27
There is a firm on Facebook called  T5 spares  Limited who break T5's.  I bought my sill panel body cut from them and found them good to deal with and they do seem quite well thought of.  The only trouble is that the BCM's are so sought after he may even have a waiting list but still it's worth a phone call.  

Strictly speaking they should be coded to match your van but in practice it will probably be close enough being a pre-facelift.  Good luck. 🙂
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply