The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

steering pump fluid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering pump fluid
    Posted: 24 Jan 23 at 14:16
Hi All 
it's been a while as I have been using mechanics. Not up to messing about with the van. Anyway a quick question, can you use ATF in my steering pump? I have a 07 T32 and had a funny rattle coming on at start up. The noise disappeared after a couple of minutes.
A local mechanic said it was a wonky steering pump.He replaced it and the noise is still there;so will need further investigation. He replaced the hydraulic fluid with ATF. When I questioned him he said his database specified ATF but I have tried a internet search and G004000A2 is the correct fluid. I think this would be green ,like the fluid that was in the van.
Any thoughts on this would be welcome
Mechanically challenged.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 23 at 21:55
Definitely not ATF!  You can use cheaper aftermarket fluid (such as Comma etc) but it has to conform the correct VW spec.  Is your van a 2.5 or 1.9?
2004 2.5 174
old age traveller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 23 at 16:31
Thanks for the reply. The van is 1.9 and I went to the mechanic armed with lots of data even a reply from Halfords website saying ATF was not suitable for the van. As soon as I started talking he said he would flush, refill and contact his supplier as he said they specified  ATF.
I suspect he knew it was the wrong fluid but I am hoping he can find the cause of my rattle on startup. It's a strange one as it goes away after a few minutes. Anyway thanks again.
Mechanically challenged.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 23 at 21:46
There are lots of things that could make a rattle at start up.  If you can capture it on video with your phone and post a link to it here that might give some clues because a rattle is hard to describe in words.

If it is a rhythmic tapping that increases with engine speed, that could be a valve lifter (aka tappet).   But one other possibility is the alternator clutch pulley.  If you keep an eye on the alternator belt when the noise is occurring it should be running around the various pulleys smoothly.  If you notice the belt bouncing around that could be a sign that the clutch inside the pulley isn't working as it should.  It sounds like your mechanic does think the noise is coming from the drive belt area area.  The alternator belt turns the power steering pump also.    
2004 2.5 174
old age traveller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 23 at 11:31
The van is in today for the flush and fluid change. Sod's law ; the rattle seems a bit better and was only giving a "clonk" every so often. I suspected the alternator when I first heard the noise but the mechanic said alternator runs freely. He did a road test and said dmf is fine, which is good to know.
The noise does not increase with increased engine speed in fact as I increase speed it seems to go away.
I will look at the belt again but will probably drive the van until something goes and just hope I get to the bottom of it before I head off for this year's visit to France.
Mechanically challenged.
 Post Reply Post Reply