The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing crank pulley bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing crank pulley bolt
    Posted: 18 Feb 10 at 20:01
Im trying to remove the crank pulley bolt on the 2.1mv engine I have (its not in the van)

I cant seem to wedge anything on the flywheel to stop it spinning and ofcourse the pulley bolt is very tight.

I was thinking of making a plate then putting a big bolt through it and into a gearbox bolt hole on the engine then putting a little bolt through the plate and into the flywheel so it cant move.

I dont really want to do this incase it puts too much pressure on the engine case and causes it to crack.

Can anyone tell me if theres a better method please?

Thanks
Red Westie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Westie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 10 at 20:32
Airgun........
Or remove the starter motor and jam with a large (I mean big) flat blade screwdriver.

Martin
shelly
fix View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 10 at 20:44
Thanks for the reply,

Sorry I forgot to say theres no starter motor on it.

How will an air gun help?

Tried a flat blade screwdriver jammed into the flywheel and wedged to the floor with no joy.
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 10 at 05:03
Air gun=impact gun, wacks it. Or expose the crank and jam it with apiece of wood?
the last one
fix View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 10 at 12:10
What i mean is how will an air gun/impact gun help if the flywheel can still move?

Will the initial force from an air gun loosen the bolt straight away? I dont want to use an air gun and the flywheel turns round fast and jams the pistons.

I do have a compressor so it would be good excuse to buy an air gun for it Smile
UAP1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

AKA Mannlicher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UAP1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 10 at 12:43
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Air gun=impact gun, wacks it. Or expose the crank and jam it with apiece of wood?
Pan off and jam with a piece of Timber as Rolo says
fumph View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 10 at 17:58
buy the flywheel locking tool or make a copy of the original vw tool
monkey magic View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 10 at 23:06
Originally posted by fix fix wrote:

Will the initial force from an air gun loosen the bolt straight away? I dont want to use an air gun and the flywheel turns round fast and jams the pistons.

edit: Yes. The bolt will be on the floor long before anything else turns.

As said above, an air gun will get it off instantly. The flywheel will provide enough resistance vs the speed of the gun. Once got one off with a battery powered nut runner, believe it or not.

Edited by monkey magic - 19 Feb 10 at 23:17
mTDI Syncro
fix View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 10 at 11:38
Thanks for all the help i managed to remove the pulley by putting a bolt in one of the gearbox bolt holes then jamming a screwdriver against it and the flywheel and off it came!

Cheers also for the info on the air gun monkey i didnt realise they had such force.
monkey magic View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 10 at 13:55
Red westie and rolo beat me to it really.

Force available with the air gun is no different to you using a 5 foot breaker bar, If you could spin such a bar 20 revs a second instantly you'd get the nut off with the first revolution, before the flywheel can move much. Its the speed vs resistance of flywheel etc that does it. Do it slowly, the flywheel wont have a problem spinning with you, do it fast, too much energy needed to spin the flywheel up to speed. Would guess there is a shock element to it with a proper air (impact) gun too.

Glad you got it off, its a bummer when little things like that hold up a job and you dont know how to get round it.
mTDI Syncro
fix View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 10 at 19:25
Yep i get what you mean speed is the key with an air gun, way faster than a flywheel!

Its good i got it off and i managed to get the flywheel off with a similar method but now ive got to wait for some circlip plyers to get the pistons out, i cant crack open the casings without it so no engine work till next weekend Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply