Print Page | Close Window

Fridge Wiring

Printed From: The Brick-yard
Category: T3 Section
Forum Name: T3 Westfalia forum
Forum Description: Forum to discuss VW T3 Westfalia models. If it's shit, it goes!
URL: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64393
Printed Date: 29 Mar 24 at 14:32
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Fridge Wiring
Posted By: T3PO
Subject: Fridge Wiring
Date Posted: 25 Apr 11 at 19:36
Please can someone tell me what wire is which on the 12V side of the fridge (Top)?
Will I be OK to connect this to a battery or does it need to go through a fuse or relay?

Brown =
Black =
Blue =

-------------
86' Caravelle GL 1.6TD 7 Seater magic carpet ride. Stock. (on a sabbatical as a camper)

A3 2.0 TDI Sportshack

Replies:
Posted By: Craig G
Date Posted: 26 Apr 11 at 07:38
Without pulling my fridge out i cant remember, found this picture in my photobucket, not sure it helps much?! 

Date Posted: 26 Apr 11 at 10:51
Looks like a slightly different model from mine.  Interesting that you have an earth wire on your 12V cable and mine doesn't.  Was there a 3 pin connector on the end of the 12V cable? (just obscured by your hand in the pic) What does the 12V cable usually cable connect to before connecting to the fridge?  I only have the cooker and fridge part of the interior the rest of the wiring is a mystery to me.
Appreciate the help.

Matt

-------------
86' Caravelle GL 1.6TD 7 Seater magic carpet ride. Stock. (on a sabbatical as a camper)

A3 2.0 TDI Sportshack

Date Posted: 26 Apr 11 at 23:37
OK I think I am starting to get this electrics stuff.  Can anyone let me know if I'm on the right track? Going off the diagram below.  The Br 2.5mm wire is earth. The rt 2.5mm wire (black I guess) is the live (needs a 16A inline fuse).  That leaves the bl 1mm wire which is part of the circuit for the cutoff relay?  Am I right in thinking that the cutoff relay is there to stop you from completely draining the battery or to switch on the battery charger maybe? Can I  run the fridge without having to wire up the blue wire?
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~johngaul/TheWarg/Westfalia%20Joker%20and%20Club%20Joker%20wiring%2009.86%20-%20English.pdf - http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~johngaul/TheWarg/Westfalia%20Joker%20and%20Club%20Joker%20wiring%2009.86%20-%20English.pdf

Also I put a 12V fan on the back of the fridge from Maplin this evening.  Its a twin 80cm DC fan but I am a little concered about how skinny the wire was, when compared to the existing wire diameter that was running the old fan.  Has anyone else noticed this difference and could it cause problems?

-------------

A3 2.0 TDI Sportshack

Posted By: lhdwesty
Date Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 00:10
There should be a wiriing diagram sticker on the top of your fridge, if it's missing check my post "ellusive fridge filter and ignition wiring" in usefull westy info, theres a nice blown up pic of it.
Rob.

-------------
Westy Syncro

***WANTED***
tan / beige front door cards in good condition,no top speaker holes.

Posted By: Joker_Club
Date Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 07:58
NOTE .... the colour coding on the wiring diagram in the link is in German, so the colours are noted in German.
RT is red (rot)
SW is black (schwarz)
BL is blue (blau)
GB is yellow (gelb)
BR is brown (braun?)

In your fist pic, the cable at the very top is the 12V. (the white cable on Craigs pic) You`ll need to run the 12v feed through a fuse, and use decent cable, around 20amp.

-------------
Sunny Lancs

Date Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 09:20
Thanks for the translation Joker_Club that could have been a costly mistake.  So in the first pic I posted which of the 3 wires going to the 12V connector is the live feed? Is it BR, BL or SW? Apologies for all the questions.
Thanks Rob I have got the sticker on the top.  Its the 12V wiring that connects to the male 3 pin connector that I'm unsure of.  As in the wiring that is still left in the van if you take the fridge out, I'm trying to run the fridge just off a leisure battery not through the rest of the Westy loom.
Matt

-------------

A3 2.0 TDI Sportshack

Date Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 09:35
The 12V positive feed (from your battery) needs to be connected to the wire on your fridge (red??) that runs to the relay stuck on the top (grey cube on Craigs foto) this is where the 12V element will be connected to originally. If you arn`t using the relay (that`s the bit that makes the fridge come on when the engine starts, and go off again when it stops so it doesn`t flatten the battery) then you could probably directly feed the 12V element through a fused cable, 20 amp cable and a 15amp fuse directly from your battery.

Could do with a wider foto of the top of your fridge to see where the purple and other wires run to, but you should be able to compare your fridge to the one in Craigs foto and see what`s what?

-------------
Sunny Lancs

Date Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 12:18
Thanks for the quick response.  I forgot to take a wider picture but I have just looked at the sticker again and realised that the +'ve and -'ve are indicated on there so that makes it a load simpler.  Reading your post though I reckon using the relay is the way to go.  Off for a long weekend up in the lakes now so I will have to carry on when I get back.
Thanks again for the help
Matt

-------------

A3 2.0 TDI Sportshack

Date Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 17:32
Lakes.... warm weekend........ traffic ....... zillions of tourists....... good luck Tongue

-------------
Sunny Lancs

Date Posted: 16 May 11 at 10:20

Lakes weren't too bad we always try and stay just north of Keswick and then its not usually too bad.  I thought I'd update this post as Iv'e had success thanks for the help Joker_ClubClap

It turns out the blue wire on the 12V lead receives a current when the engine is running.  So I added a live to this with a 3A fuse.  Now I just have to remember not to leave the switch on in 12V setting or else the battery will be flat in no time.

-------------

A3 2.0 TDI Sportshack

Date Posted: 16 May 11 at 13:53
Just done a simple mod on mine with a switch to bypass the relay, so I can switch the fridge to run on 12V (with the engine stopped) when on the ferry to Germany next month (Hull - Rotterdam overnight) 

Tested it for 12 hours running solely from the leisure batts and it worked fine, got the fridge down to temperature using the hook-up first then switched over to 12V, kept the fridge at around 2 degrees and the leisure batts voltage dropped to 11.8V after the 12 hours, so still plenty in them.Thumbs Up

-------------
Sunny Lancs

Date Posted: 16 May 11 at 15:21

Nice one thats reassuring.  Bought a brand new 110Ah battery at weekend so should be good for a weekend away.  What size battery have you got in the Joker?

I did that crossing last year hope your prepared to have your trousers pulled down if your going for the cooked breakfast in the morning.Ouch

-------------

A3 2.0 TDI Sportshack

Date Posted: 16 May 11 at 16:42
I`ve got twin 90 amp leisure batts in the front battery boxes, and a complicated, expensive charging system Wink that ensures they now get fully charged from the alternator when on the move, rather than the usual half-charged  Thumbs Up Long thread earlier this year about it all somewhere.

Ferry crossing - all meals included in the fare Tongue

-------------
Sunny Lancs

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net