The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT MK1 BMW M57 SWAP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT MK1 BMW M57 SWAP
    Posted: 14 Dec 23 at 12:30
Hi All, Been a long time since I posted anything interesting! But I hope some of you will like this. My previous posts included much on our Capri 3 litre engine and Scimitar overdrive conversion years ago. That ran well until the first addition of ethanol to petrol (5%) finished that off due to vapour locking. If you switched the engine off when it was hot, it wouldn't start again until it cooled down. We even added huge cooling fans, hi flow fuel pump and ran on Evans waterless coolant (reduces operating temp) but with the carb being on the top of the engine inside a closed box meant we were doomed. Modern fuel already has too much water in it and now with ethanol too it vapour locks unless kept at constant high pressure, i.e Fuel injection... So it was out with that and in with a Jaguar V8. Had issues with the constant failure of the autoboxes with that one. Any of you who know Jaguars will know all the boxes on the XJ8 (X308's) had a manufacturing defect. So we got fed up with changing boxes too.

Anyway, I digress.... So now, and thanks to the availability of off the shelf parts instead of having to design, fabricate and create everything ourselves, we have settled on arguably the only truly decent and reliable engine BMW have ever made (they must have made an error and hired in a decent engineer for the day Wink  ) . We are going for the diesel M57 3 litre straight 6. Very common engine for swapping into many things these days. From 190 to 250 standard hp depending upon the year of the engine you get and 425ft/lb of torque!. It's the torque that amazes/ Nice low revving engine developing it's torque very low down in the rev range. And with the aftermarket ecu, EGR delete, de-cat and no DPF these figures are actually boosted considerably, not that we need any more in the van! 

Separately, we are also lengthening an LT35 LWB van by another 2 feet so we need a section of the factory grp high roof if anyone has one. I will be posting a wanted add, so please do let me know if you know of anyone who can help with this bizarre request  LOL
PauliMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PauliMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 24 at 23:49
Hi Jam man
I’m interested to know how your M57 swap went and what gearbox you used etc
I’ve got an LT40 with a cracked head and I’m considering an M57 replacement but don’t know how to go about it?
 Post Reply Post Reply