The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

intercooler for t4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baldygaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: intercooler for t4
    Posted: 19 Nov 08 at 17:00
hi i have got a 1.9td 68bhp van.. i have fitted a bleed valve to the turbo and an induction kit.. i want to no if anyone as fitted an intercooler to this engine and if so does it make any differance to the power or is it just the same power as before.. cheersEmbarrassed
gaz
onkobonko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onkobonko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 08 at 22:48
Just fitting an intercooler will actually lower the power slightly as it will make the air denser and therefore lowers the boost pressure. You need to add more fuel and boost to gain more power, the intercooler allows you to do this safely as it helps to lower the exhaust gas temperature (EGT)

Keep in mind that increasing boost via the wastegate alone will only work to a certain point, you need to increase fueling to see any real gains in power.

Loads more 1.9TD tuning info here, mainly AAZ engine, but the principles are the same. (The T4 ABL engine is basically a AAZ but with a different turbo and no LDA on the fuel pump):

http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2770&p=21431&hilit=1.9td+tuning#p21431

The bleed valve that you have fitted should allow you to alter the boost in the same way as the wastegate lever does on the KKK turbo on the AAZ's. If you can work at 15psi, without loads of soot, your engine (assuming its healthy) should be fine without an intercooler.

Cheers John

baldygaz View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baldygaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 08 at 23:18
hi mate.. just turn the  fuel pump up ..should i put a intercooler on or not ...would you
gaz
team french View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote team french Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 08 at 12:54
i would, doesnt denser air contain more oxygen and thus a better burn?
1978 2litre LT28 abbomination!!!!
CAVEMAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAVEMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 08 at 21:14
Angryget a 2.5 tdi
baldygaz View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baldygaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 08 at 22:05
LOL it your brother gaz.... caveman......... mark ClapClapClapClap
gaz
onkobonko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onkobonko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 08 at 23:29
Originally posted by team french team french wrote:

i would, doesnt denser air contain more oxygen and thus a better burn?

An intercooler allows you to increase boost and fuel higher, as it helps keep EGT's under control. fitting a intercooler on its own, to std diesel engine will not increase power. An tuned ABL at 15psi with minimal soot should stay reliable. Any more it will probably need intercooling.

You could turn up boost right up, very easily on any turbo diesel to give loads of extra power. Fine if the engine is on boost for short periods of time, but imagine sitting on the motorway at 70mph with the engine running on boost for ages, the EGT's will get so high that engine reliabilty is affected. Sooner or later something melts!

onkobonko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onkobonko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 08 at 11:15
Originally posted by CAVEMAN CAVEMAN wrote:

<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",1);//-->

Angryget a 2.5 tdi

Bet you cant find 15-20bhp on your 2.5 without spending a penny and using basic tools...

Dont underestimated the 1.9td, they came from the factory in very mild tune and are really easy to mod to over 120 bhp without having to spend a fortune.

They are easy to work on, more reliable (arguably!), you can run them safely on veg oil and with a few simple mods offer decent performance.
cudaboy View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cudaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 09 at 22:29
im taking notes...... going for a 1.9td. never get it to 400 hp like my car but you cant have it all....lol.  where can you source bits to tune them? gotta be quicker than my 98 astra td im using for work right now....aaah veg oil, those trips to tesco and getting banned from aldi when they marked prices wrong and me and pal filled 2 shopping trolleys..........hee hee
id rather die in my sleep like my grandad rather than his passengers screaming and freaking out.................
baldygaz View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baldygaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 09 at 22:47
if can get 120bhp out of my 1.9td Big smileBig smileBig smileWinkWinkWink
gaz
 Post Reply Post Reply