The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The case of the mysterious ignition problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The case of the mysterious ignition problem.
    Posted: 12 Feb 22 at 11:06
Thought I'd throw this one out to the hive to see if any boffins can shed some light on this.
I've had 2 drained batteries since this started occurring. Both times when my wife forgot to wiggle the key upon removal. Easily done. I'm going to check the battery condition and for any parasitic drain just in case anyway.
The problem seems to be that when I remove the key from the ignition, there is no little click, which then turns the accessory mode off. However, if I wriggle the tip of the key in the cylinder, it causes it to click and turns off accessory mode. If I don't the radio and all accessories stay on, and then we have a flat battery if this happens a few times.
I changed the ignition switch just in case it was that simple, but as I suspected that did nothing. Sprayed wd40 etc into the barrel to see if that would help. Still no change. I can't imagine changing the actual cylinders will help this either? Also, I've noticed that if I don't get the little click, the steering lock won't engage. Obviously, after getting the little click. Everything works fine.
Can anyone tell me what may be causing this?
 Post Reply Post Reply