The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar panel - battery for T5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fieldspring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar panel - battery for T5
    Posted: 13 Dec 21 at 15:31
I have a T5 transporter with a non raising roof. I have used this for more than a decade without a proper leisure battery and solar charger. But the time has come for me to invest in something that will work and be reliable for running small electric accessories, like interior lights and mobile phones and perhaps a radio etc. Is  anyone able to recommend a solar kit and rechargeable type of leisure battery that is reasonably easy to fit to the roof. I have no rails fitted currently, only the four bolts either side in the rail gutters ready for fitting a rack. I need to be able to settle off grid somewhere and hence need a solar supply for basic electrics. Many thanks
fieldspring
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 21 at 13:44
I had a portable solar panel for a camper trailer I had years ago.  Being portable meant I could set up camp in the shade but have the panel out in the sun (important in summer in Oz).  But the panel was less secure than if it was bolted onto the trailer.

If you put a panel on the roof you will likely raise the height of the van, so watch it in parking places with height limits.

Talk to a place that does decent quality set ups, and get a panel & battery sized for your worst case scenario.  It will probably be expensive (quality usually is)
 Post Reply Post Reply