The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

16" Syncro ID?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16" Syncro ID?
    Posted: 21 Sep 21 at 13:17
Hi folks,
I recently acquired, here in the US, a '91 Syncro Doka imported from Belgium (or the NL, not entirely sure which). It came fitted with 16" tyres, but I'm not sure if the model is actually a so-called '16" Syncro' vs. a 14" that has been fitted with larger diameter tyres. My understanding is VW delivered a 16" model from the factory and that sounds to me like the suspension (springs, shocks, etc.) would be unique to that model.

Question is, how do I tell if my rig is actually one of these? I'm looking to re-do the suspension front and rear, and I think I would need to know in order to spec the replacement parts.

Thanks for any feedback,
Larry in Florida.
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 21 at 13:56
Under the drivers seat there should be a metal plate rivetted on which lists the M-codes (options) that the vehicle came with from the factory. The code for the 16" Syncro package is 625.
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
Achilles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 21 at 17:49
Originally posted by clift_d clift_d wrote:

Under the drivers seat there should be a metal plate rivetted on which lists the M-codes (options) that the vehicle came with from the factory. The code for the 16" Syncro package is 625.
The only M Code I've got is 355 which is for the 1.6L TD JX Engine (which has since been replaced). Otherwise nothing and the M Sticker is long gone.

The top line of the M Plate reads:
17  1  6012  181  2470  97.

Of these, the last two digits indicate the engine code and the fitted tire size.
9 = JX Engine
7 = 14" tyres.

Can anyone here confirm this interpretation of the codes?
 Post Reply Post Reply