The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vw T3 Westy 1.9AAZ Diesel Not starting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt10000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vw T3 Westy 1.9AAZ Diesel Not starting
    Posted: 28 Dec 20 at 11:14
Hi,

Please can anyone help....nightmare morning, dropping my wife at work at the hospital...her car has no mot and the van has decided to break down in the snow...now back home as it bumped with RAC but now won't turn on.

**Engine won't turn over, start doesn't even click.  Battery has 12.5v, I've checked connection to solenoid and cleaned connector - all good and power is fine (confirmed by RAC).  Earth looks ok to gearbox...He added a lead from + on battery to solenoid and it was still the same, no click and not turning over...He also created his own earth from battery to engine....nothing at all..wipers stopped working for a minute on way home, now working again...

Any ideas would be gratefully received....I'm semi-literate on things but not overly knowledgeable...
Cheers
Matt
danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 20 at 19:01
Damp and freezing weather is often the time when the starter solenoid gets sticky or finally gives up.
No solenoid clicking even with direct power applied to it points to that being the issue.
You could try touching a direct 12v supply wire from battery +ve to solenoid start terminal, and tapping the solenoid to see if that helps it click and engage starter.
matt10000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt10000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 20 at 18:16
Many thanks, I'll give that suggestion a whirl....
Cheers
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply