The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New LT35 owner baffled by footwell puddles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reptile Smile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New LT35 owner baffled by footwell puddles
    Posted: 06 Jun 14 at 18:15
Hi all,

Have recently bought an E reg 1988 LT35. Will post some pics soone - am really pleased with it.

It's all MOT'd and appears to be running fine, though I do have some issues and questions.

There's a small red flashing LED that blinks above the speedo. I gather this is to do with the coolant level, though the coolant level appears to be fine?

Secondly, the foam-backed foot matting/pads in the cab are soaked, with visible puddles underneath. I can't work out where it's coming from. It doesn't appear to be coming from the coolant tank, even though that looks like it has a small crack in the top of it, and, in any event, if it was coming from there, I can't really see how it would make it say into the cab - I think it would just drop to the road.

I've only done two journeys in it - the guy who I bought it from drove me for about twenty five minutes over about ten miles, and then I drove it home - about ten miles. I then drove it on a round trip if about 15 miles. It didn't overheat, and the coolant level looks normal.

I'm a bit baffled. I guess I'll take the matting out and see what I can see, but just thought I'd check on here and see if anyone has any ideas..?

Cheers
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 14 at 18:43
the flashing light could be the sender in the bottle , Brickwerk sells them ( same as a T3) or a break in the wire
The water in the foot well/under the matt is likely to be the windscreen leaking ..
crack in the coolant bottle will need more exploration to see if its leaking

Edited by t'onion - 06 Jun 14 at 18:44
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

PhilJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 14 at 18:46
Hi and welcome.

Nearly all LTs have a wet footwell - don't worry it's not a coolant leak or anything like that. The water tends to come in from one of 2 places.

1. the bottom corners of the screen which are very prone to rot - most likely

2. the water can come in from around the indicator lenses - undo them and seal with silicone and this should fix the leak - it did on mine.

The red flashing light is for coolant level if the reservoir is full up to the top and it still flashes it could be the sensor in the cap. They always flash when you first start up but it should go out after about 30 seconds.
Phil J - VW LT 35 2.4 D 1989 Camper
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 14 at 21:47
Welcome Reptile Smile.

The chaps have covered it, but you will not regret your new toy.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Reptile Smile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reptile Smile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 14 at 07:10
Brilliant - thanks guys. That's really reassuring. If it is the windscreen, what can be done? I presume that's a job for a third party? I'm just anxious about its effect on the integrity of the footwell floors over time?

Also - the heater matrix apparently has a split in it, and either needs to be re-'bonded' or replaced. Is this a bug or tough job? How hard is it to get out?

Cheers - your help is much appreciated
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 14 at 11:58
The bottom corners trap water and then they rust through allowing the internal water feature which wrecks the fusebox below. Temporary methods will seal the leak, but rebuilding the corners is the only lasting solution. It comes down to your own abilities, facilities, time and inclination.

Have a look through previous posts using the search facility, top right. There is also plenty to be read on the web on other sites.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

PhilJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 14 at 12:26
If the internal heater matrix is leaking this could explain your coolant loss and hence the flashing red light. This would leak internally and could collect in the footwells. The easiest way to check whether the water is rain water or coolant water is to dip your finger in it and taste it. If it's rain water it will taste like water. If it's coolant it will taste sweet (presuming you have anti-freeze in it). Don't swallow as anti-freeze is toxic.
Phil J - VW LT 35 2.4 D 1989 Camper
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 14 at 13:39

^^what Phil said^^

I assumed in your post that you meant the heater matrix box was split, but if you meant the actual heater matrix is split, it will certainly leak!!

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
TZoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TZoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 14 at 11:32
also i had a flashing light for a while and so i took out the sensor from the bottle and it was all covered in gunk cleaned it and everything was fine. but like you i have the water feature. i fixed the heater fan a little while back and think i have knocked one of the pipes and so it is leaking into the footwell so i will be sorting that this weekend with a circlip but if it is not that the guys have covered the rest
1984 VW LT31 Camper Taffy
The Heights of your technology.
are the pits of my doom
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 14 at 15:18
Need a matrix? oh and welcome of courseEmbarrassed
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
sid 63 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid 63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 14 at 07:20
Thats the same problems as i have,wet foot well and flashing red lights.welcome
slovenia the hidden jewel
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 00:00
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

There is also plenty to be read on the web on other sites.

What is this web and where are these other sites you speak of?!
-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 17:57
Originally posted by timaldiss timaldiss wrote:

Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

There is also plenty to be read on the web on other sites.

What is this web and where are these other sites you speak of?!

When I get onto a proper 'puter I will rake out some links.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 19:50
Now you have asked Tim, I have not got that many links related to rust, but here they are anyway.

Bibblybobs' video of his restoration. Valuable contributor.

My favourite German site, and one of the 'restoration' threads, showing how much metal can disappear in twenty to thirty years or so, and how to put it back.

A man with some interesting ideas, and Lidl is involved too. http://alcasabricos-alcasa.blogspot.de/

We Brickies have our own through the 'search' facility too.

Last but by no means least is the best thread on metal bashing ever, but you will be inspired.

?The net? Full of bouncy boobies and other distractions. Honest, nothing else.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

vicvan View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vicvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 14 at 12:35
My 1st LT had the flashing light on the temp gauge for two yrs.No prob i just got used to it.My wet footwell came from the top of the windscreen where the guttering runs down,the seal there barely touches the metal.This took a bit of finding.Also the top of both doors leaked slightly as the doors had dropped a mil or two and the water came in,this i sorted with double sided tape on the door frame and this works a treat.Nice dry camper now.Hope u enjoy ur LT and get it dry.
Vicvan
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 14 at 15:46
Originally posted by vicvan vicvan wrote:

Also the top of both doors leaked slightly as the doors had dropped a mil or two and the water came in

Same happening with me at the moment, and since I have no headlining I can diddle my fingers in the river that runs around the gully above the doors.

Somewhere else to look for leaks.Thumbs Up

VW LT Camper not Cramper

timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 14 at 20:33
Originally posted by vicvan vicvan wrote:

the top of both doors leaked slightly as the doors had dropped a mil or two and the water came in,this i sorted with double sided tape on the door frame and this works a treat.

I imagine taping the doors shut would do the job!

Wonder if anyone has tried grommeting a drain hole...

Love that video Chris, and that's a really useful bunch of links, ta. 

-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
vicvan View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vicvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 14 at 07:53
Ha.Taping the door shut will stop the leaks.I put some tape on the door frame on top of the door as the water was coming in by capillary action.As soon as the gap was smaller the water just ran down the door as it is supposed to.Hope this explains it better.Love my LT and hope someone sorts some meets out soon.Am a follower not a leader so not me guys but i will support anyone who organises a meet.
Vicvan
Bobbylost View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbylost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 22 at 12:44
Hey all I am also trying to get to the bottom of a wet footwell that's been plaguing me forever. Had all the bodywork done recently and confident it isn't the windscreen seal. I do seem to have water getting into one headlight. Could that be an entry point for water?

Rob
-
Lt35 2.4 Diesel 1996 Camper.
 Post Reply Post Reply