The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > The Coachbuilt forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New VW T3 owner - help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbitpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New VW T3 owner - help!
    Posted: 20 Jul 13 at 12:06
hello I have just bought a beautiful VW T3 1987 - autohome.

The previous owner said I need to get a leisure battery to run some of the electric from if we have not got mains supply. Any suggestions of what will fit into the tiny space made for it?

Secondly the van is a high top and has a sleeping space but no mattress - where do I get a mattress. I need to get once quite soon as we are going to a festival and the children really want to sleep up above.

Any ideas gratefully received!
fragilecolin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fragilecolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 13 at 13:10
Where is the tiny space? Mine sits behind the passenger seat.
Do you have dimensions of the area?
As for mattress try just a camping roll for now, with a couple of blankest it will be lovely for the kids up there.
On bended knee is no way to be free.
Rabbitpatch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbitpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 13 at 19:22
18cm height
34 cm length
16 cm width

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbitpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 13 at 19:25
it is behind the passenger seat
Thank yo for the top bunk idea
fragilecolin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fragilecolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 13 at 20:12
I use a VL679 battery, it's taller but then the back of the passenger seat is fine for clearance.
I would go to your local motorfactor, independent type, not your Halfords nobbers. They can look in the battery book and see dimensions. See if you have extra room in height for example for clearance.
Also, note that a leisure battery isn't used the same way as the main van battery. I think (stand to be corrected) that it's about the amps, so it will last longer.
Do you have a captain seat? You will have to look out for shorting if the seat swivels too.
On bended knee is no way to be free.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbitpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 13 at 21:14
Thank you so much that's really helpful - we have had such a great day sorting things out. We need to put seat belts in but have sorted that. Now we just need to do the bed for the children - who are so excited that I have just read them their bedtime story in the the campervan and work out how to put a canoe on the roof- it's a high top!

Lots and lots of fun!

Post Reply Post Reply