The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this normal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this normal?
    Posted: 07 Jun 22 at 15:02
Hi, can anyone tell me if this noise I'm getting from the front wheels  is normal? I had jacked up the van to check the bearings as it was getting noisy above 60mph. Couldn't detect anything bearing wise but was amazed at the amount of play in the driveshaft, and how noisy it sounded.

Any ideas anyone?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w9RN8D1zZ58yPe498

Cheers

Dave

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 22 at 08:57
There will be slack in the gearbox/diff. The clonking sound could be just the pads slightly slack in the caliper.  You should be able to see if they are moving at all as it makes the noise  Might have to take the wheel off to see the inner one.

However the shafts can strip where they enter the gearbox, usually you start to hear odd noises and feel slack as you accelerate and decelerate before they fail.  You have to replace the whole shaft and also the stub shaft in the gearbox which is held in by an allen bolt down the centre.  If you don't know the history of a T5 or it has more than 60k on it it's worth taking the shafts out to check and grease because the splines dry out.  If you can do your own work it's a no brainer because when they fail, all drive is suddenly lost which might be a tad inconvenient!!  If you google for it you will find plenty of pictures of what happens. 

Edited by T5 TDI - 08 Jun 22 at 08:58
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply