The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT35 ANJ P1248 issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 22 at 00:05
After running a full copy of vcds lite i got way more info that the expansive garage machine we first tried,  tomorrow we are doing a full swaps of all the belts and pulleys inc water pump with a gates kit as i am now convinced the timing has slipped, lets see if that cures it :)

5 Faults Found:
17656 -  Start of Injection Timing Regulation: Control Deviation
            P1248 - 35-10 -   - - Intermittent
17552 -  Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Open or Short to Ground
            P1144 - 35-00 -   -
17957 -  Boost Pressure Regulation Valve (N75): Open or Short to Ground
            P1549 - 35-10 -   - - Intermittent
17849 -  EGR Valve (N18): Open Circuit or Short to Ground
            P1441 - 35-10 -   - - Intermittent
17946 -  Fuel Shutoff Solenoid (N109): Open or Short to Ground
            P1538 - 35-10 -   - - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A

"after  clearing it still shows"
VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Friday, 08 April 2022, 14:13:56:0

1 Fault Found:
17656 -  Start of Injection Timing Regulation: Control Deviation
        P1248 - 35-10 -   - - Intermittent
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 22 at 09:46
Manufacturer specific software is always better as you've found.
Looking at those codes I'd be leaning towards electrical problem, best thing to do is give it a couple runs and rescan, they can take a couple of driving cycles before actually registering an error code.

If you go into measuring blocks group 004 - section 2 shows requested injection timing - section 3 shows actual timing. It's normal for it to bounce around a couple points.
Can't remember on the light version but if you can get into basic settings, display group 000 section 2 shows the pump timing point......with the engine temp around 80 celcius it should be around 055 (.55mm).
Also in basic settings display group 004 tests the timing control by switching between early and late.
ANJ specs:  
Early 7....9 BTDC   
Late 3....5 BTDC
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Olderisbetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 22 at 00:42
We have started today by changing the timing belts for a gates full kit as they are over 5 years old now and the bottom front pulley was very cracked so while it was easy to access it seemed a good move, tomorrow we are going to double check everything before a start up, while the front is completely off we can get to pretty much all the connections so maybe something else will be noticed, thanks for your input and patience Thumbs Up
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 22 at 00:50
The good part with the LT is easy access, so much better than my T4 LOL

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 22 at 15:10
Well good news it starts and runs but not yet timed it dynamically with the ross tech software, tried it round the block and it pulled great but a bit of white smoke was going on, the intermittent issue is still there as it pulls fine sometimes, i am starting to think the N75 boost valve is dodgy but as you have pointed out that could be electrical so more wiring checks will happen.
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 22 at 19:24
Have you give it a rescan to see what codes have come back?
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 22 at 00:53
The rescan showed up all the same faults, but since then it has been timed dynamically and the yellow dot is pretty close to the line which is ok for now, it starts very easy no smoke and revs smooth and no odd noises, i cleared the faults after the re time and it was run up again for about 20 minutes then scanned gain and no codes have shown up, tomorrow afternoon it is going to get road tested and see if it still has no boost/power.
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 22 at 08:10
Just as a quick 'rule it out' might be worth changing the ecu relay under the drivers seat, should be the grey relay on the right with two red, a black/yellow and a thinner black/white wire. It serves all the components that have registered errors. If there's no joy with that then you're gonna have to break out the multimeter and check for shorts. If all is good there then you'd have to suspect the ecu.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 22 at 00:29
It went on a quick road test today but a few minutes in it threw a wobble, no power no boost and it limped home, out first thought was the timing had slipped but it was checked with the VCDS and it gave us a spot on reading, after a scan it was showing all the same faults which i cleared and after starting it seemed ok so i did another scan and the N75 was back saying  "17957 -  Boost Pressure Regulation Valve (N75): Open or Short to Ground P1549 - 35-10 -   - - Intermittent" so i think i need to find a working spare and try it just to see, the relay is a good call and well worth a look Thumbs Up
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 22 at 01:28
I have sent the ECU for testing and they have said it needs "a full rebuild" as it is kaput, i am in their hands as i have to trust they are honest, but if it still has the same faults after i get it back i will give them ear ache LOL
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 22 at 20:59
Ok for anyone following this we have a result, the ECU was faulty and after a repair the van started and ran like a dream, there was 2 codes still one saying "engine start blocked by immobilizer " P1570 and another saying "Quantity adjuster lower limit reached " P 1563 but that was before it had a run around, i will retest tomorrow, thanks @mojo for your help.
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 22 at 21:34
Happy days, glad it's sorted and thanks for the update.Thumbs Up
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12