The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT35 ANJ P1248 issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT35 ANJ P1248 issues
    Posted: 08 Mar 22 at 14:15
The LT35 ANJ 2.5 tdi threw a wobble a few nights ago as i was driving, it suddenly sounded like the engine was not timed properly and lost power, after plugging it in we got a P1248 code and cleared it but the issue is still there and the code returned, The physical timing looks fine as in no jumped belts so a quick google seems to point to "Start of Injection Timing Regulation not OK" which in my head means the pump timing or some king of electrical timing being the issue, is there any common fault or issue that this could be, the vehicle is  a well maintained 150,000 2004 plate but i did drive over a rubble road 2 days before this happened that shook the daylights out of it Wacko
Olderisbetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 22 at 17:31
Maybe an update, I checked the resistance on the N108 solenoid and got about 7 ohms could that be it?
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 22 at 19:39
Specs for the commencemnet of injection valve (N108) are 12...20 ohms, so looks like that could be your problem. The other thing to check with that code is the needle lift sender injector (G80) specs 80...120 ohms.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 22 at 00:08
Thanks that will give me a job to do tomorrow, i think i need to work out which N108 replacement part i need as there seems to be a version A B and C listed,
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 22 at 19:34
They'll all be the same part, just the part number changes when a new version comes into production 074906283C being the latest.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 22 at 23:24
Thanks mojo, i managed to get one today and fitted it today but won't get a test drive with it tomorrow, I think it might be time to invest in a VAGcom as i have picked up a T4 recently.
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 22 at 11:15
VCDS and Elsawin are what you'll need to keep on top of them. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 22 at 22:33
I have seen VCDS before if that is the ross tech software but Elsawin is new to me, We put it all back together today and it does feel a lot better but it lacks power sometimes as you accelerate, plugging it in tomorrow so it might tell me more, i will keep on it till it is sorted and report back in case it helps another user.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 22 at 19:39
Well today the LT was scanned and the same code is back P1248, both the N108 AND G80 are within specs, i have now got a new N108 on the pump but as i drive it seems to have no power then suddenly burst into life and pulls like a train again, but that issue is not always there but has only started since it threw a wobble while driving.
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 22 at 19:43
Maybe looking at a bad connection if it's intermittent, I'd check continuity on the wiring to the ecu and make sure connections are clean and secure. Another thing to consider is what condition the fuel filter is in, as the timing is adjusted by fuel pressure in the pump which needs a good clean flow.
What are you using to scan it?
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 22 at 22:28
Good idea with the wiring i think most of tomorrow will be spent looking for issues like bad earthing or broken wires, when this happened the fuel filter was swapped but if i get set up early tomorrow i may drain the fuel and check the tank for crud, I did checks all the pipes and wiring to anything i could see under the bonnet, The scanner is at a mates local garage it is a snap on looking thing that covers all cars, i will look at the name when i am back there, Thanks for responding again.
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 22 at 20:33
It's situations like this were VCDS is ideal as it has test functions for the commencement of injection valve, and gives you live data. It can also check the pump timing. The elsawin I mentioned is the vag electronic workshop which tells you what your live data should be, plus testing and repair procedures. Well worth the investment, can save time, money and head scratching.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 22 at 00:13
I have looked at the Elsawin and see they do a fault code reader and workshop manual type thing, live data would definitely be useful to try and see what is happening, so i think it is all a good investment.
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 22 at 18:48
Just had another thought, 'the wiggle test' try wiggling the the wiring to see if creates/fixes the problem. Especially where the wiring meets the needle lift sensor injector.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 22 at 19:41
I will give that a try tomorrow, i swapped the MAF today for a known to be working one but the issue was still there, if i unplug the MAF it is creating the issue so i will wiggle and check all the wires, pipes and sensors and see if i get a result, a guy in the garage wondered today if it could be related to the vacuum plunger thing on the side of the turbo?
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 22 at 09:38
Given the fact that the P1248 came straight back means the ecu is seeing a fuel timing problem. The G80 see's the start of injection (fuel timing) and the N108 in the pump adjusts it, if both of these are good then it could be the physical timing of the pump is out. Does the van start ok when cold?
I'd personally start with the wiggle test and also check the pump and it's bracket are secure especially after the rubble road. After that I'd be looking at the physical timing of the pump.

Regarding the variable vane actuator on the turbo, any problems with that would not throw the code you're getting. The engine would run ok but just be down on power. You can test the actuator with a vacuum gun or eyeball it while revving the engine and watch if it moves.    

2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 22 at 00:27
The van starts fine hot and cold and pulls great when this problem is not there, i get the idea of timing being out but would be curious how it moved, but that is still worth looking at as you are right it could be timing, I am going to buy a ross tech device do you have any recommendations on which one? i could do with something that works on multiple VAG vehicles not just limited to a few VIN numbers.
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 22 at 14:25
The pump timing happens in two stages.... it's set statically to .55mm in the ANJ and then adjusted dynamically when the engine is upto temp and running. Dynamic adjustment is done by turning the guide pulley on the pump belt while watching the timing specs on say vcds timing checker. If any pulley became loose or the pump bracket became loose (which has happened to me) the timing will bounce all over the place causing it to be sometimes in spec and sometimes not. The timing control will try to adjust it but if it's to far out to adjust you'll get problems and error codes. Any movement at all on the pump, belts or pulleys will affect timing. On the other hand an intermittent electrical problem could cause the same issues.

I managed to get hold of a not so official version software and lead after a lot of tinternet trawling, all the official stuff has very eye watering prices unfortunately.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 22 at 00:39
At the moment all my time is taken up working but the weekend i am going to do the timing test before anything else as it seems a good start point, but i think checking all the wiring as i am working under the bonnet is worth it.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olderisbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 22 at 23:52
Everything that can be plugged in has been checked and nothing looks bad, had a look for bad wires and taken out the ECU and checked the connections, one thing i did wonder is about the tensioner on the diesel pump, if that was knackered could it be affecting the timing by bouncing around?
I am ordering a Bosch VE pump timing kit this week with a Dti gauge to check the pump timing, If anyone can direct me to a way to use ross tech economically Wink please let me know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>