The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Center rings on rear disc conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveo9007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Center rings on rear disc conversion
    Posted: 23 Mar 21 at 09:27
I am doing a rear disc conversion, i am using Sharan discs for it, do i need to use centre rings when the disc is placed on the hub, or will i will ok not using them as i am having difficulty in sourcing a set for each hub.
1985 Autosleeper T3, 1.7D KY Engine
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 21 at 17:40
I never used them on my conversion although did sort of center it when i drilled hub for new disc securing bolt.
Ive not had a problem as yet-surely one for the purist!
steveo9007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveo9007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 21 at 18:26
ok cheers,Clap there isn't much movement on the disc to the hub to be fair, so might not bother like you. Did you drill all the way through the hub for the retaining bolt, i was going to do this but its quite a chunk of metal to drill through Shocked
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 21 at 20:37
Yes Drilled straight through and used the sharan retaining bolt if memory serves me correct. i have a substantial pillar drill and the hub is easy to machine any how!
used golf calipers and have  fairly decent hand brake cable arrangement so it was a nice improvement.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveo9007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 21 at 09:40
can I ask what handbrake cable you used. I have one from a golfmk4 and a Jetta so will be trialing them, but if you have a working solution would like to know. Smile
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 21 at 12:41
I used a Borg and Beck BKB 1273 from ebay at £11 ish a couple of years ago.
I had to make a modification at the balance bar which was basically a short section of stainless thick wall tube/pipe which the cable past through.
Hand brake works great even on steep slopes, dose'nt hang down excessively  and im very happy with it.
i cant remember the length of 'spacer' tube i used but can send a piccy/measure it if you want.

I did spend a while trying to find a good alternative and have to thank FRANKLINSTOWER on the Samba for his recommendation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveo9007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 21 at 15:40
cheers for the pic, just looked at that thread I have ordered a Jetta cable all ready so will try that one first and see where it sits, got new p clips aswell so will hold it up under the trailing arm better. I’m using the Epytec mounts and Girling 38calipers. Looks like it going to be the dogs bollocks when it’s done. Thanks for your help Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveo9007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 21 at 21:31
got centre rings made up by epytec free as they didn't state this on the page when ordering adapters, and i have an unmodified handbrake cable that works aswell.Tongue
Italjohn View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 21 at 09:14
Originally posted by steveo9007 steveo9007 wrote:

got centre rings made up by epytec free as they didn't state this on the page when ordering adapters, and i have an unmodified handbrake cable that works aswell.Tongue

Any more info regarding the handbrake cables?
Pictures?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveo9007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 21 at 14:17

Post Reply Post Reply