The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new member - no lights on dashboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new member - no lights on dashboard
    Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 11:54
Hi thank god i found this site

i have a D reg LT35 horsebox and love it - ok its slow when i hit any kind of incline lol but other than that its perfect ish

Ive found the tthread on leaking seals as I have water on both foot wells so of to investigate that and check seals etc

BUT my main issue is that I have no lights on the dashboad - when i put key in ignition i get the battery light and glow plug light thats it - no oil light etc but if i put my high beam on that comes on the dash - but no lights on the cloks etc - so can you advise what i need to do - also my washers when i go to use them to spray the windscreen its stopped working cant even hear the motor of it trying to pump the screen wash through - any ideas?
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 12:59
If your headlights and sidelights work OK then that proves the switch - if so the problem may be with the rheostat built into the switch, and may start working if you move it backwards and forwards a few times. If not let us know.

Oil light power supply is the same as the battery light and brake warning light so if either of them work that proves one side of the wiring. May just be a blown bulb so that would be my first check. Do your gauges/clock work OK? If they don't then I'd suspect the earth for the dashboard, as both the glowplug light and battery warning light are earthed separately and don't use the shared earth.

Washer pump may be seized - have you got a meter or test light you could use to see if a voltage is present at the motor? Not sure what else shares the fuse with it so a simple check would be to see if any fuses are visually blown.

Edited by mat_the_cat - 05 Aug 13 at 14:03
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 13:39
Like Mat says check the rheostat first, maybe give it a good squirt with switch cleaner and rotate it forwards and backwards a few times. Leave to dry.

I know of at least one owner who took their whole dash apart, and when I looked the rheostat was turned all the way down.

If the washer motor is seized or faulty, a new one is only £3.50 from Beal Uk for example, just fitted one on my RR.

Let us know when you have had chance to check things out, see if we can help further.

Welcome to the Forum btwSmile
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

townsk View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 20:20
thanks much appreciated now as a woman i dont pretend to know anything that is electrical or mechanical - i just drive it lol

what is the rheostat and were do i find it lol - and if you have a photo that would be even better Smile
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 20:37
Right it's a black plastic wheel on the right of where the speedo etc is.
Rotates up and down, makes dash lights dimmer or brighter.
Don't have one on my old bus so no photo sorry.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 21:07
Come on TownsK, must not let the Toon doon.Wink

Mine goes left/right not up/down.

You should be able to lift a side with a thin screwdriver, and ease the whole switch out. It is possible to get behind it from under the dash, to help it out. 

The big connector block can be very tight on the switch spades, but it does mean that you cannot lose it.

Edited by LTCamper89 - 05 Aug 13 at 21:12
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 21:09
You needn't have taken your whole dash out to show her Chris! LOL
townsk View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 21:11
ahahahahah i knew what you were talking about really - right ive played with this quite a bit makes no difference at all i have to keep checking when i get out that my headlights are off etc

i have a few things to put right on it but i have to say i love it just wish it had a bit more umph when hitting the slightest of incline - sometimes it can be embarrasing lol
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 21:18
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

You needn't have taken your whole dash out to show her Chris! LOL

Just showing off.

I fixed the clock and temperature guage by soldering a wire across the burnt out track. The three-legged black thing, the name of which escapes me, was working fine. Put it all back together to have the oil light and buzzer going off at me for ten miles, until I took it all apart again, and found nothing.Angry Back together again an all is well. Almost.Confused

Just the glowplug light has gone walkabout now. Just as well I can hear the relay switching.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 21:36
Townsk, do your sidelights work? And how about your clock & gauges? That might help pinpoint the problem...

Chris, you can change the bulbs (just) by removing the vent which blows onto the windscreen. In case it's just the glowplug lamp bulb which has failed (fingers crossed!)
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 21:42
Mat, You have the hands of a girl, and a small one at that.

I could reach them fine, but could not get sufficient purchase to turn them.

A tool will be made.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

townsk View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 21:45
erm side lights i will check tomorrow - my fuel and temp gauge work ok- mine slides left to right also and ive tried it several times makes no difference and it slides witheasy so doesnt feel like its sticking at all - will update tomorrow

thanks guys for the feedback
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 13 at 23:49
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

Mat, You have the hands of a girl, and a small one at that.

Ah, so you must have big manly hands then, and you know what they say about men with big hands...?

...big gloves!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 13 at 05:24
Wink

VW LT Camper not Cramper

townsk View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 13 at 16:48

finally got someone to check it out - my circuit board on the dashboard has gone arghhhhhhhhhhhh - where do i get one from and how much are they - my wagon is VW LT35 - D Reg

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 13 at 17:21
?If you mean the floppy foil and plastic connection sheet? You will only get one from a breaker now.

?If you mean gone, as in gone!!? Thieving toadsWink

All is not lost though. I discovered that the reason my clock was not working was one of the tracks had melted, do not know when or how, but soldering a wire into the gap sorted it nicely. Just realised I have already told you that earlier.Embarrassed

Get the sheet out and have a look, it may be a simple fix. 

VW LT Camper not Cramper

townsk View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 13 at 19:22
yeah that what i meant the floppy foil etc - apparently it looks like it hasnt worked for a while as the clocks are soldiored on  - i'll have a look around as i would like it replaced at some point if i ever find one

i dont understand though as my clocks work fine my problem was i have no lights on the dashboard except my battery light and glow plugs but i cant see my clocks in the dark - isnt really a problem i just like things to be working the way they should

and my headlights are crap lol i drive where possible with high beam on
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 13 at 19:39
I cannot remember if the instrument lights were out on mine too. There are different circuits for the clock, instrument lighting etc etc, it does sound like you have the same problem that I did, one malfunctioning track on the sheet.

As for your headlights, check the connectors on the bulbs for corrosion, it is probably limiting the current available.

My foglight telltale was down to 4v, a dodgy earth, and thus MOT fail.

BrickWerks do these but you still need good earth and current for them to work, but may be worth considering if you do a lot of night driving through the countryside.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 13 at 19:46
Originally posted by townsk townsk wrote:

and my headlights are crap lol i drive where possible with high beam on

Running them via a relay will cure that.  Cheap fix as well, which is always good.
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
townsk View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 13 at 20:15
thanks guys much appreciated Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>