The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heater fan replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater fan replacement
    Posted: 01 Dec 12 at 17:02
About to replace the cab blower motor, I've seen some people seal the flap box back together I thought it was possible to get clips but can't find any through google.

Whilst we are on it what do people replace the shear bolts with and where can I get them?
1989 1.9DG Devon/homebrew Waterboxer
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 12 at 17:40
You don't need clips, don't think they are available anyway. Just glue it or seal it back together. I glued it and put a couple of small self tappers through the original plastic clips to hold it together.

With the shear bolts, I replaced with stainless hex head bolts. First time I took them out though, I used a 1mm grinder disk and cut a slot in the too of the shear bolts and used a big screwdriver to undo then do them back up.
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
1.8T Conversion sat on an engine stand waiting for spare time.
BobbyH View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 12 at 17:50
Cheers, managed to get the old bolts out with mole grips.

Haven't tried the heater box yet.
BobbyH View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 12 at 16:13
Can anyone tell me the size of the bolts needed to replace the shear bolts? Forgot to take one out with me today so would like to order online.
BobbyH View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 12 at 13:40
Couldn't budge the screws in the heater box at all so think I'm going to have to let a garage sort it out. Cry

Seems a waste to pay the garage to take all the dash out if I can do that myself, can I just put it back together without the dash and drive it that way? Question steering column to braces, switches back on connectors, no instrument binacle.
Gtavalanche View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 12 at 15:54
All screws will come un done eventually. Use penetrating fluid on the back. Remove the front grill to see the captive nuts. You might snap them off. But you can then drill the remains out once the heater box is out of way.
I taste Hurty!
BobbyH View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 12 at 20:26
Tried that, still not budging.

Is it actually driveable without a dash? If I bolt the steering rack back up.
Put the switches back on, just to limp round to a garage?
wheeliepete View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheeliepete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 12 at 09:34
I did my blower motor last year and drove my diesel truck with no dash home about 7 miles with lights on-had flat battery in the morning-so no charge to battery without clocks connected. If you are not traveling far in the daylight you should be ok.
BobbyH View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 12 at 09:59
Might give it one more go when I've got some time after chrimbo, anyone got any details on how/ where the heater box actually comes apart?
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 12 at 19:03
Also on some of the later vans there are a couple of self tapping screws that hold the heater box in. these can be found when you remove the front grill.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
BobbyH View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 12 at 19:17
Yeah think I've got those and the two lower ones inside came out OK, but the top ones were not budging, need to see where they come out and spray some penetrating fluid on them.
Gtavalanche View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 12 at 19:20
Try using a ratchet with a scew driver bit. That way you can get much more twist on it.
I taste Hurty!
BobbyH View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 12 at 19:31
Yeah that's the plan had to wait for the reducer so that my bit holder will fit on the extension bars I have, just hope there is still enough head on the screw to get purchase.
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 12 at 19:39
Have a google for irwin power grip screw extractors...should either undo or snap off the most rounded of round screw heads.
BobbyH View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 12 at 18:12
Anyone know where the screws come out taken the grill off but can't see anything obvious.
Also the self tappers should they be ovbious behind the grill?
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 12 at 18:22
they are just above the top corners of the radiator- get in there with a torch. not the most obvious but the only two screw heads there (one each side)
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 12 at 18:28
Not sure whether they are fitted to all models and years but check any way.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 12 at 18:30
have done 2 late vans in last year and they both had them.

BobbyH View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 12 at 18:56
Thanks, there are 2 above the radiator, wasn't sure if they were holding brackers holding the radiator.

What about the captive nuts for the upper inside screws, want to get some penetrant on them before trying to undo again.
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 12 at 20:06
they are mutha fuckas. have never been lucky enough to do one where at least one isnt seized. penetrant and as max said , use screw bit on ratchet and extension and put all your weight on it. they do shear so be ready to drill and retap captives.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>