Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 Caravelle GTi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 Caravelle GTi
    Posted: 16 Feb 12 at 23:40

I thought it was about time that I created a build thread. I've done quite a bit over the passed year that I'll have to catch up on but I'll try and put it in the correct order.

I brought it from Ebay around March 2011. Got it delivered on the back of a truck. Didn't have a clue about T3's, Kind of been paying the price ever since. And still don't have a bloody clue!

Original Advert

Stripped everything off

It started off as an 1985(B) 1.9 DG Auto Caravelle. The Waterboxer was a mess that someone had bodged in with a fubared Carb. The Autobox bell housing was smashed.

So I whipped the lot out with the intention of fitting a GTi Lump. As I then needed all the bits and bobs for a manual conversion I found a T3 panel on ebay to transplant the 5 speed box, Drive shafts, Pedal Box,Linkage Etc.

It also had a half finished GTi conversion fitted. So it all went straight in my Van. (With a little help from my mate Jeff).

The Swing arms were rotten on top, so some Brickwerks repair plates were fitted, and given a coat of paint.

The alloys are on the back burner for now, so I stuck some steelies on untill I can afford to fit the Alloys Properly (Read not gashed on by some shitheawk previous owner).

The Tailgate was rusty and had been damaged in the corner, Found a new tailgate with ladder fitted

Old one

New one

As I've said earlier I didn't have a clue about T3's so I stripped out the Captains Seats and matching Rear seats. I wrecked the rear 3 seater for the frame, then eventually sold the rest. But I binned all the door cards and clips (mong).

However I have got some Alfa Romeo GTV seats to go in with a bit of pearler of an idea for the rear bench but ill wait until its done to show you all that.

Managed to pick up a full set of door cards for £35 quid.

Pic to follow.

This month I've decided to Overhaul the Front Suspension as it was in shit state.

Ive gone for -70 AVO's, Bilstein B4s, Lemforder lower Ball joints and wish bones. Polybushed Anti-roll bar Mounts and Drop link Bushes. Febi Radius Rod Bushes with Stainless sleeves, Track Control Arm Bushes and lower anti roll bar bushes with new sleeves. Im also going to try and replace all the nuts and bolts. The top ball joint are Ebay Cheepies but I only fitted them a few months ago and theyve not even seen a mile yet.

Im planning to get all the components Sandblasted then painted or Powder coated, trim the bump stops, then waxoyl under the tubs while its all out. Ill take some pictures of this as I'm going along.

That's just about up to date for now. Need to pull my finger out with the engine conversion but the weather's been killing my motivation. Some words of encouragement would help right about now as would donations of parts/skills/hard cash. Lol.

Edited by Gtavalanche - 18 Feb 12 at 22:57
I taste Hurty!
tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 12 at 00:01
You could sell the Boleros to finance the project further. Nice project.

'97 A4 AFN | '60 T1 ratlook | '57 Oval | Dec '82 T3 Westfalia 1Y+DK+215/60x16
Gtavalanche View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 12 at 00:11
Cheers mate, Is that the ronals? I do wanna keep them, I think they'll look nice when refurbed with some fresh rubber.
I taste Hurty!
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 12 at 00:19
at last!!!  

well done mate..  you'll be pleased with the GTi
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 12 at 22:07
Cheers mate, its not running yet. Ive had to get a new ECU, Key and imobiliser as its cheaper than getting a key coded. 
I taste Hurty!
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 12 at 17:12
Looking good mate
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
1.8T Conversion sat on an engine stand waiting for spare time.
Mickyfin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickyfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 12 at 05:52
Your doing quite well considering you are new to the game of T3's Thumbs Up
2011 VW Crafter 170 LWB HighT op 2.0TDi
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 12 at 20:06
Cheers guys. I need to pull my finger out and get this thing Running!
I taste Hurty!
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 12 at 22:07

My new doors cards, Theyre for electric windows/mirrors, I dont have either! Anyone want to swap?

Theyre all in reasonbale condition but for £35, they'll do until I can afford some mint ones!

New bits ready to go on! Mostly Brickwerks, some Just Pumpers, but they came in the Donor van for free, and are Febi anyway. Im Just stuck on the track rod ends at the moment. PLus ive been doing a tough guy event today and im baggage!
I taste Hurty!
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 12 at 11:36
Track rod ends removed, I split one of the gators though. Burnt out the old control arm bush's. Brake plates/Discs/Bearings removed. Its all ready to go to the blasters now. Then the build up can start!

Edited by Gtavalanche - 23 Feb 12 at 11:39
I taste Hurty!
tim View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 12 at 21:23
i feel for you mate but remember everything you do now is a little bit less to do later mate.
lambretta lover but there is room for the t3
1981 2lt aircooled passion wagon
MAY YOU RUST IN PIECES.

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/j424/timwatson1/
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 12 at 23:46
Originally posted by Gtavalanche Gtavalanche wrote:

Snap! I've got a box of bits just like that. Haven't stripped the front suspension on mine yet. Who is going to be back on the road first? Place your bets now!
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 12 at 07:32
My money's on you! lol. I'm starting to think it will never be sorted!

Edited by Gtavalanche - 26 Feb 12 at 21:01
I taste Hurty!
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 12 at 09:22
Something looks different between the passenger side back plate (top) and the drivers side (Bottom). I just cant quite put my finger on what it is!Shocked

Edited by Gtavalanche - 24 Feb 12 at 09:22
I taste Hurty!
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 12 at 18:44

Something looks different between the passenger side back plate (top) and the drivers side (Bottom). I just cant quite put my finger on what it is

stainless ones on order from the werks yet?

Looking at your box of goodies has just made me realise I forget to order track rod ends
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 12 at 19:23
That silver van used to live locally.
Just trying to remember what we did with it, it was a while ago, fairly sure the GTI lump was in it then.
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 12 at 19:27
Night Train1974
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/lets-get-together_topic986_post177323.html?KW=#177323
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 12 at 20:20
Originally posted by T3Panel T3Panel wrote:

Looking at your box of goodies has just made me realise I forget to order track rod ends

The Brickwerks ones are for the later 2 piston Calipers, Mine are the older girling single piston ones. So Im shit out of luck!
I taste Hurty!
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 12 at 20:34
Originally posted by Baxter Baxter wrote:

Night Train1974
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/lets-get-together_topic986_post177323.html?KW=#177323

The Pictures are gone now, Im not sure if the GTi Lump ever got Finished. There was'nt much hisory except a few reciepts for Odd n Sods, Including one for 2x JX Rubber Engine Mounts From Brickwerks. I bought it from Nottingham way.

Edited by Gtavalanche - 04 Jan 13 at 09:15
I taste Hurty!
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 12 at 14:37

Originally posted by T3Panel T3Panel wrote:

The Brickwerks ones are for the later 2 piston Calipers, Mine are the older girling single piston ones. So Im shit out of luck!

Have another look
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>