The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the best oil for a 1.6TD T3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbmkk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the best oil for a 1.6TD T3
    Posted: 29 Nov 11 at 21:16
Which oil is best, for a 1989 1.6 TD Westfailia California campervan please ?

A mechanic friend suggested 10 40 semi synthetic, but another mechanic suggested 15 50.

I didn't know what the two numbers meant, but after a little bit of googling, found out.

Which would folk recommend please ?

Does the fact that winter is almost here have any influence on the choice ?

Also, is it worth paying extra for a well known branded oil, or are they all pretty much the same. I don't mind paying extra for a branded product, but only if it is worth the extra. I see the likes of Morrisons and Wilkinsons have oil, but maybe I shouldn't risk damaging a 22 year old van with cheap oil

thanks

Brian
www.urbanhives.co.uk (linking beekeepers looking for hive space, with landowners who have space)
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 11 at 21:20
Click.

And for future reference.
Click again.
Red Westie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Westie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 11 at 09:46
VW main dealer service on this vehicle would have used Quantum Red....15W40 'Diesel specific' enginge oil.
I haven't checked in the last year but I think this might be discontinued now but any quality 15w 40 'Diesel' oil will do.
Note* if you are changing your oil twice a year then 10W40 would be another option during the autumn/winter months but again preferably diesel specific.

To explain....nearly all oils state 'also' suitable for diesel enginges blah blah! and I'm sure they would also be fine but...'specific' diesel engine oil (one's that have been formulated primarily for diesel engines) have different ratio's of additives. One example of this would be additional detergents to cope with the increased levels of particulates (soot) produced by diesel engines. They also have formula's with more 'film strength additives' to cope with higher surface pressures in high compression CI (diesel) engines.

My advice.....the most important point is to change you oil often, the oil doesn't have to be the most expensive but look for one that is primarily for 'diesels'.

Martin

Edited by Red Westie - 30 Nov 11 at 09:51
shelly
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Baxters Chocolate Star Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 11 at 13:18
I use Halford semi for diesel's (gold container) and change it every 3 - 4 K, looking at my service book it looks like it's been changed this offten from new, it even had an extra oil filter / oil clean in-line when I got the westy.

As Martin said it's all about changing it often

wbmkk View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbmkk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 11 at 20:12
Thank you for all the repliesSmile
ZsZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ZsZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 11 at 20:12
My opinion isCastrol magnatec diesel 10W40
if the engine is in good shape, I think you should use some good oil.

http://vwt3.hu/
on the road
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 11 at 20:24
Quantum 15W40 has been obsolete for about a year. VW bullied us into buying the last 50 or so 5l bottles of it last year . We sold it all off cheap. We actually have one left that we found on a shelf. NOS genuine VW Oil innit.

Fuchs make the oil that VW put in in the factory, and they also make the 15W40 we sell now.

Bonkers, but the price of quality 15W40 has risen so much over the last 12months that Synta 10W40 is now cheaper!

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
niko View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nice fella.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 11 at 21:09
fuchs...good Stoke on Trent oil....cant go wrongWink
1989 westy Joker now with TDi

Horns View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
No1 Mass Debater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 11 at 21:33
I use Valvoline Turbo V 15w50. Going up a grade has helped reduce oil consumption noticeably, but then our engine has been around the block a few times.
1986 Joker 1.6TD
bootie3367 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bootie3367 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 11 at 19:09
Tried 10/40 semi synth but had problems over here with thinning oil, least I presume that was causing the oil pressure warning to come up, since then, changed to Repsol (not too bad) 20/50.
It never gets that cold over here and the 50 helps at higher temps, so far (touch wood) I have not had a repeat of the buzzer of doom. As for oil consumption, I have not even started to take note yet.
niander View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 11 at 10:43
Would this be the same for a 1Y?
and are the supermarket diesel oils total rubbish then?
cheers
T3 1.9 D
wbmkk View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbmkk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 11 at 10:53
I am only on this forum as I got an email message about the latest reply.

I ended up going with Morrison's 15 40 oil, at £11.99 for 4 litres, as it was easy to get.

My van seems to be using a lot of of oil, but there isn't an oil leak (the driveway has no marks) meaning I am topping up every 2 - 3 weeks.

I don't know where the oil is going .. but if I'm paying a fiver every couple of weeks, I can live with that. Also, with fresh oil, I am sure it is more efficient too.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL
www.urbanhives.co.uk (linking beekeepers looking for hive space, with landowners who have space)
niander View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 11 at 14:29
Your engine must be burning it then ether past the rings or the valve seals
You see smoke behind?
Is 1Y also 15/40 oil?
T3 1.9 D
 Post Reply Post Reply