The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I dont have a Syncro but...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuelvincentvella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I dont have a Syncro but...
    Posted: 01 Dec 10 at 17:50
...I have read on The Samba about you chaps using the Peloquin/GoWesty LSD? I have an Auto RWD but apparently the manual one is transferable between Syncro and RWD? Just looking for feedback on performance/quality...
RHD Caravelle EJ25
RHD Caravelle Twin Slider DIY Syncro Westy EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 10 at 19:42
Depends what you want from your van. LSD will not be as effective offroad as a locker but will save you the hardshape of pulling the dogtooth job out.
samuelvincentvella View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuelvincentvella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 10 at 20:39
Just want it for loose terrain; snow, mud etc. I may be able to trade something for a new one, just curious if it's the best one to go for...
RHD Caravelle EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 10 at 21:02
lsd would probally suit you better and less hassle to fit. oe ones come up for sale now and again but are pretty rare. quaife do one new but pricey. may be worth speeking to aiden he may know of something and will be able to advise.

did not type dog tooth job out.

typed d i f f  l o c k   k n o b  o u t .
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuelvincentvella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 10 at 21:14
Spoke the Ken at GTA in the US today. He rates the Peloquin over the Quaife as better value. Plus apparently one can fit it without dropping the transaxle. Just keen to know if anyone has one...
RHD Caravelle EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 10 at 08:03
afaik noone over this side of the pond has one because all uk spec syncros came with twin diff locks as standard, the americans didn't get that hence the development of the peloquin, there isn't a quaife one for our box, it's the smaller bay diff only that also fits beetles
Daryl at AA transmissions in USA is a good person to contact, he's a memeber on 80-90, he worked with peloquin on the development
original zf/vw lsd now obsolete from vw but is available from classic parts for the price of a cheap van

oh and to fit it is box out, remove the diff, change the ring gear over and then set up the backlash again, best time to fit it would be when changing to your new c and p set

Edited by Beaker - 02 Dec 10 at 08:05
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuelvincentvella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 10 at 08:11
Hang on; Ken rebuilds these all day long; he rekons its possible to do it in situ... which one is it!! Makes a big difference! I'd like to get the LSD in now, in case the prototypes on the R&P take longer than expected, at least I can be getting use out of the LSD.
RHD Caravelle EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 10 at 08:35
ok, i've never worked on an auto box, as I don't have the tools for these; just extrapolating from the manual box, which would be box out in the workstand in order to set up the backlash; if the auto is a side plate case then it probably can be done in situ, but I don't know how you'd set the backlash I'd have to read Bentley to suss it out - but your man obviously knows what he's doing so no need for my input
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuelvincentvella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 10 at 08:38
there is a pretty large sump pan abouT3cm x 15cm - I'll have to glean a little more before tackling it. Thanks for the info though...
RHD Caravelle EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
 Post Reply Post Reply