The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.9td power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.9td power
    Posted: 29 Jun 10 at 22:24
hey.im looking at getting a t4 and was wanting to know how anyone finds the power on the above engine?also has anybody had any dealings with Trinity,they have t4's n t5's for sale on piston heads???cheers boysSmile
OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

i had a 174 T5 you know..or was it a T4?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 10 at 23:30
Power on a 1.9 ??? make sure you always stop facing down hill or you will burn out the clutch trying to pull away!!
Backing Britain -- Use as much fuel as I can
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 10 at 07:53
Define power ? A quick search around the threads in here will throw up loads of discussions.

If you want something that will drive like a car and can hoon around pulling up motorway hills, prob not the engine for you.

If you want to cruise and get up and down hills as a camper then it's 'okay'

I want a bit more oomph out of mine, but more for lake district type roads and hills.  But I suspect my pump timing might need tweaking. 

Depends on what you want if for.

I have seen they are quite easily tuneable for an extra 15 - 30 Horses...
Vanfest 2011 - Skittles Vodka
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team
Camperjam 2013 - Lost to the Bodybuilders, but delivered in a Syncro
Tough Mudder - Fried Piggy For - Charity

So, Rae is a girl then yeah.
steve padda View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve padda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 10 at 19:30
Hi
Iam running a 1.9td as a daily, it will not set your pants on fire but will keep up with the speed limits, can be noisy.
But it is a honest enough van not trying to be a sports car or owt, however my velle feels way more pwerfull and that is only 88bhp tdi.

I have also heard mention of these tweaks to improve power output, so if anyone has the details to hand please post  Big smile

steve
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 10 at 19:35
I drove a mates 1.9TD T4 California a few hundred miles. My AAZ engined T3 Atlantic was much quicker, but ultimately could not hold the same motorway cruising speed.
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
mken View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 10 at 22:36
Originally posted by traversd traversd wrote:

Define power ? A quick search around the threads in here will throw up loads of discussions.

If you want something that will drive like a car and can hoon around pulling up motorway hills, prob not the engine for you.

If you want to cruise and get up and down hills as a camper then it's 'okay'

I want a bit more oomph out of mine, but more for lake district type roads and hills.  But I suspect my pump timing might need tweaking. 

Depends on what you want if for.

I have seen they are quite easily tuneable for an extra 15 - 30 Horses...

well.ill be using the van as a daily driver so it ll need to be able  to carry a small mixer n a few bit n pieces during the week.and at the weekend a few bodys n surfboards.ill put it this way,if im doing 70mph will the engine be screaming and if i need to over take on some shitty west of ireland back-road will i need a mile of clear road ahead?
OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 10 at 23:36
The difference between a 1.9 and a 2.5tdi is about  2 Grand for a very good reason,  You will wish you bought a TDi 2.5   If all T4s were 1.9s there would not be the following there is !!!
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 10 at 08:22
.ill put it this way,if im doing 70mph will the engine be screaming and if i need to over take on some shitty west of ireland back-road will i need a mile of clear road ahead?

Yes and Yes...70mph will see around 3,300 to 3,600 at 70mph in the 1.9 (Although I am not sure the 2.5 is hugely better in that respect, have to ask someone else on that one) with the redline being around the 4,5 mark it is working. I have been informed those engines do like to be worked though !

That's going on the experience of my van though....with the stereo on motorway cruising isn't unpleasant and she will top out between 85 and 90 depending on conditions. But at that speed she really is revving like fuck.

A 5th gear mod should bring that down..200 quid for bits and then labour if you don't do it yourself.

The general consensus is go for a 2.5Tdi if you have the option. I rushed it and went 1.9td Embarrassed

Although it suits what I use it for really...just a teeny bit more oomph would do me.

Edited by traversd - 01 Jul 10 at 08:22

fraggle View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fraggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 10 at 09:50
if you say so mate
fraggle View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fraggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 10 at 09:52
Originally posted by OOO 2 LOW OOO 2 LOW wrote:

The difference between a 1.9 and a 2.5tdi is about  2 Grand for a very good reason,  You will wish you bought a TDi 2.5   If all T4s were 1.9s there would not be the following there is !!!

if you say so mate
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 10 at 10:05
Originally posted by stevemadbiker stevemadbiker wrote:

I have also heard mention of these tweaks to improve power output, so if anyone has the details to hand please post  Big smile

steve

There is details around on another forum I think, my well be on this one too !

In summary it goes..

Fit Boost Gauge
Tweak Turbo Actuator arm and Fuel Screw to increase boost and fuel delivery..back them back down when it chugs out black smoke

Sir Baxter highly recommends the procedure is done something like:
Fit Oil cooler
Fit InterCooler
Fit Exhaust Temp Gage
Fit Boost Gauge
Then start pissing about with fuel / boost or else you might cook the engine...

I am waiting to get a clean bill of health on the engine before i start Tongue

duffer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 10 at 16:06
being a t4 novice are there any other pro's and cons? I gather there could be a lot more to go wrong with the 2.5tdi? What say can you expect to have to change at 100k and 150k? Fuel economy worth a mention or is there not much difference?
duffer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 10 at 16:14

Edited by duffer - 06 Jul 10 at 16:19
OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 10 at 16:53
Look the 2.5 tdi albiet the 102 or the 88 is a huge milestone away from anything before, better economy, starship miles without problems, 11 years of vehicle evolution has proved itself, expect to pay 2k more for a 2.5 TDi, you will see masses of 1.9 trying to get 2.5 TDi prices but beware ! Find a  2.5 TDi (red i 150 bhp Intercooled bigger injectors available LHD only) (silver i is 102 bhp Intercooled)  (Blue i is 88 hp)  all fantastic and trouble free when accompanied with service history. I even went 174 engined T5 and yes the engine is belt free and impressive but the vehicle has yet to prove itself as they fall apart. Me I went back to the last of the T4s THEY ARE BETTER!!!! Don't buy a pre 96 unless that is all the pennys you can find. Good Hunting.
JB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 10 at 17:39
I had a 1.9td. It was a fine van, fairly economical, didn't break anything while I had it. It did struggle with the hills round here (I'm in the Lakes, I live up one of the hills.) and struggled when loaded. Still, a good vehicle, but I didn't see what the fuss was about.
I now have a 2.5tdi. 88hp blue 'I'. When I got it it was running quite badly, still better than the 1.9 but not by much. After a bit of fiddling, replacing MAF etc.. it was nearly right. Much faster than the 1.9td, much more relaxed. It was still not quite right, and when a decent set of injectors came up I decided to go the rest of the way - intercooler too (mitsubishi - £10, pipes to suit - £10, brackets made by me) and a remap. It's a different animal, nearly as fast in real terms as the golf GTi I had a while ago. I see now why the 2.5 is so desired - for not much cash and faff you have a van that does things vans probably shouldn't be able to! It's a beast!
I know you can tune the 1.9, but the 2.5 has quite a bit more potential. Whether this means anything to you is up to you - I did it mainly due to replacing worn out bits - I wouldn't have done it to a van that was running well - my old injectors were making it run really badly. The result, however is quite pleasing - they can be amazing things!
If it ain't broke - fix it till it is..
Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 10 at 21:45
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

being a t4 novice are there any other pro's and cons? I gather there could be a lot more to go wrong with the 2.5tdi? What say can you expect to have to change at 100k and 150k? Fuel economy worth a mention or is there not much difference?

Fuel economy is around 30 Mpg round Town & Had 40Mpg + on a Steady Non Motorway Run.
(2.5 TDi Remapped to 130BHP)

Changed very little in the 60,000 miles I've nearly done other than Cambelt & Service Consumables.

202,000 on the Clock now & still Pulls like a Fookin Train Big smile Big smile Big smile

Edited by Desp Dan - 06 Jul 10 at 21:47
Pie n' Bacon Meister
Porsche & Classic Car Nut
mken View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 10 at 23:41
Originally posted by JB JB wrote:

I had a 1.9td. It was a fine van, fairly economical, didn't break anything while I had it. It did struggle with the hills round here (I'm in the Lakes, I live up one of the hills.) and struggled when loaded. Still, a good vehicle, but I didn't see what the fuss was about.
I now have a 2.5tdi. 88hp blue 'I'. When I got it it was running quite badly, still better than the 1.9 but not by much. After a bit of fiddling, replacing MAF etc.. it was nearly right. Much faster than the 1.9td, much more relaxed. It was still not quite right, and when a decent set of injectors came up I decided to go the rest of the way - intercooler too (mitsubishi - £10, pipes to suit - £10, brackets made by me) and a remap. It's a different animal, nearly as fast in real terms as the golf GTi I had a while ago. I see now why the 2.5 is so desired - for not much cash and faff you have a van that does things vans probably shouldn't be able to! It's a beast!
I know you can tune the 1.9, but the 2.5 has quite a bit more potential. Whether this means anything to you is up to you - I did it mainly due to replacing worn out bits - I wouldn't have done it to a van that was running well - my old injectors were making it run really badly. The result, however is quite pleasing - they can be amazing things!

oh man,thought i made my decision n was gonna get an early t5 but now im doubting againConfusedwheres the best place to look,apart from piston heads n autotrader?
oops,ment to quote 000 2 low

Edited by mken - 06 Jul 10 at 23:46
OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 10 at 00:03
Trust me I bought a new T5 Kombi 174 it was crap, leaking windows, blows off the turbo boost pipe interior falls apart, mother board gets wet and causes all sorts of problems. If you dont believe me talk to the VW warranty vans that go around repairing them (like the RAC AA but belong to VAG)

Heres the secret !!!! don't by an early T5 that has the central locking button missing off the window switch panel they forgot it on the early ones and it is the early ones that are really bad. VW being VW they will get there -- bit like the T4 it took them 5 years to perfect the T4 with the launch of the post 96 TDi s -- God I could go on and on but I won't. Just do not buy an early T5
 Post Reply Post Reply