The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.9TD ABL engine to...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.9TD ABL engine to...
    Posted: 23 Sep 09 at 13:50

Hi everyone - sorry if this has been covered somewhere sure it has but...

My van is great , excellent condition etc etc been looked after all its life , however as you know the 1.9TD ABL engine has to work for its supper and does'nt have a lot of spare steam especially on the motorway on a slight incline?

I intend to keep it until the thing dissolves into the ground so was thinking about options?

Is the later 1.9TDI engine for example a lot better or not much in it?

I am sure everyone will say the 2.5 but is that a substancial change in engine mounts and stuff in the engine bay?

Is the 1.9TDI a straight swop for the ABL??

Thanks in advance folks?
Stan

T4 1998 SWB Panel van 1.9TD ABL engine
paul ss View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 09 at 14:02
am presuming you have turned the boost and fuel up on your abl 1.9td if not do so will make a big diffrence.

as for 2.5tdi i persnoaly dont like them all feel sluggish compared to a tweaked 1.9td i pull away from 2.5tdi 88bhp in mine .

there is the option of ahu/1z tdi engines from early golfs /passats etc 90bhp standard but can quite easyly be tuned to 130bhp+ and still have cruise control as the 2.5tdi has .

the convershion aint a lot of work depending on how good you are with the spanners would take between 3-5days most of the work is wiring tbh
stanski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 09 at 15:13
Cool thanks for the advice mate.

Turning the boost and fuel up? No I hav'nt this modern diesel lark is still new to me ?
Is there an idiot guide on how to do those please?  I thought the ABL engine could'nt be tuned?

The Golf etc engines you mentioned would they need new mounts etc or are VW lazy and use the same - I presume I would have to change gearboxes etc also?

I've done work on cars etc for years all types but never on diesels?  Begining to sound like a bit of a big job?
Stan

stanski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 09:34
Ok decided to ditch the idea of an engine swop and focus on my ABL job.

Thanks to your advice I have found this thread on a foum led from another forum etc etc.

http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2770

Is this the kind of work thats required to give the old fella a bit of a chilli up its turbo!
Stan

solarboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 21:51
I'm also looking into swapping my ABL for a 2.5 preferably tuned up to about 130 HP. I'm wondering what would be needed too.
paul ss View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 05:39
its not worth the hassle and also not financialy feesable .

sell the 1.9td and buy a 2.5tdi failing that fit 1.9tdi convershion with a remap and you will see the 130bhp

as for upping the boost and fuel on the link posted .

pretty much the same apart from the abl dont have a boost pin so just case of adjusting the wastegate and turn the fuel up a little .

where abouts in uk are you ?
stanski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 08:52
Thanks Mate - will stick with safe mods for now - still has to be reliable and reasonable on fuel
Stan

Post Reply Post Reply