The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coolant Capacity Query

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coolant Capacity Query
    Posted: 06 May 09 at 18:04
General advice sought here from those in the know.

My LT31 2L. Petrol runs sweet as a nut and I love it..... The question is this... The rad' thermostat gave out on me the other day... starting overheating etc No big deal. Took it out and got her home safe and sound without a hitch.
Anyway decided to change the coolant as it's time and flush the system out.... During this process I've realized that my coolant capacity to the line is around 7 litres (ish)... The BOOK says it should be 9 Litres. .

I've ran the fresh water through the system and it's settled down and aint' taking no more so I'm vexed.
Temperature wise the old girl runs great somewhere between 1/4 and a 1/2 on the gauge.. never no more even on the steepest climbs.

So before I pull the Rad' off and give it a right good seeing to, is anyone out there gonna tell me that It's happened to them and there's nothing wrong. Or are you all thinking get it sorted before you drive the thing all the way down to the South of France and back which we're going to in July.

It's a 1976 LT31.

Edited by Butternut boy - 06 May 09 at 18:05
You nod yer ed n I'll it' it     
Butternut boy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 09 at 16:15
Update... Took the rad' off today and gave it a major clean until the water I put in came out looking totally clear. I'm sure the rads' ok as it seems it pretty good nick all round.
Checked all the hoses while underneath for kinks etc... nothing wrong anywhere.
Filled it up with fresh water to do another flush and ran the engine for 5 mins' or so, still she's only taking about 7 Litres of water tops.
I know the heads fine as it's been of recently and had new gaskets etc so what else can I do??? Has mine got a smaller rad' or expansion tank or something else than the book says... it is one of the early ones....
Or when the book says 9 Litres capacity does it mean right to the top of the expansion chamber? Surely not.......
As mentioned before the coolant temp when running is fine, maybe I just put it down to another of my vans weird quirks...

Any thoughts anyone......
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 09 at 20:42
Is the heater control set to hot? Wondering if 2 litres is sitting in the heater matrix and might not be draining.

Another thought. Does the block totally drain of water? I'm sure I've seen a block drain valve on some cars because of this.
LT35 camper 1987 2.4 litre 6 pot diesel, DW engine, no turbo, no PAS.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 09 at 21:03
Cheers RR. Yep, the heaters on hot... can't say for sure though wether that's where the prob is.
I can't see anything in either of my manuals about the block drain plug you mentioned, and have never spotted one.
I did have a little prob a while back with the temp' control cable.... Since you mention it maybe that's where I'll start prodding around next...
Any tips for finding out, in fact any tips at all gratefully received. Not sure I should drive to Montpellier with 7 litres of coolantWacko 
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 09 at 17:47
Okay I give up..... No matter what I do I cant find a problem with my coolant system.
I've had the rad' off, I've checked pipes I didn't know I had, flushed more times than a bog in Deli.
I've blown so hard into the expansion tank that I thought me ears were gonna fall off.
I've ran the engine briefly with the pipe off at the water pump to make sure it's pumping.. it is.
I've pulled the pipes off at the Matrix and it's empty and all the fresh water I'm putting in comes out looking just as fresh.
My coolant capacity is no more than 7 and a half litres... GAME OVER.
I conclude my expansion tank is smaller than everybody else's and now I'm gonna get Pished.
Dedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 09 at 18:31
Maybe the heater clogged?
'86 LT28 Diesel Sven Hedin
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 09 at 18:49
Had the heater pipes off both sides... Nothing stuck in there.
petergeeky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petergeeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 09 at 03:17
Hi Butternut,

I'm not familiar with the 2ltr petrol engine, but I have the Haynes manual, and as already said, there's no mention of dtraining the block. In my experience/understanding there must be some coolant left in the block and my guess is that's where the missing 2 litres are sitting.

Rgds
Peter.
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 09 at 10:53
Thinking back to when I drained my old antifreeze last October about 8 litres came out. I don't know why I measured it now but must have been a reason. I think my capacity is 12 litres (2.4 diesel). I stuck in a full 5 litre can of antifreeze which if it is 12 litres should have given it approx 40% solution. 
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 09 at 12:04
I think your both prob' right about the it being in the block... but no matter how long I stare at it with a puzzled look it won't come out. I remember the last time I pulled the head a load of coolant spilled out and I had already drained the system.
I was hoping that by running the engine with the drain plug out it would dump the coolant in the block.... Nope.
There must be a way of clearing the block without taking the head off surely
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petergeeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 09 at 14:55
Hi Butternut,

Why do you need/want to empty the block? As long as its been thoroughly flushed, there will just be clean water in there. If you have further concerns about cleanliness of the water galleries in the block, it may be worth getting some radflush and run the engine for a while, and then draining again and flushing through with a hosepipe. Its then a simple matter of topping up with enough neat antifreeze to ensure the required strenght of solution.

Rgds,
Peter.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 09 at 15:39
Cheers Peter.... My prob' is that I've had a different type of coolant in before and I didn't want to risk mixing two different types..... If your saying that the old coolant will be flushed out with the fresh water I'm running through it... well I didn't realize that, and I thank you for the info.
Maybe you could confirm thats what you mean for me fella'.

Just tagging this on..... What happens if I take this plate off that's marked with white paint(just above the cylinder 1 ???. I thought it was something used on the Porker 924, I've just realized it's not used there either.
Will it dump the coolant in the block?????

Edited by Butternut boy - 10 May 09 at 20:01
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petergeeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 09 at 20:02
Hi Butternut,

yes, that's usually the case. If you disconnect the top & bottom radiator hoses at the radiator end, put a hosepipe into one of them, and turn up the tap on the hosepipe fully to get a good flow. The water will circulate right around the engine and back out of the other hose - the only thing you have to think about is the thermostat will be closed so could restrict flow, so to get a good flow it may be necessary  to remove the thermostat.  As I said, I'm not familiar with the 2 ltr petrol engine, but from the Haynes manual, I can see there looks to be one main hose connected to the water pump, and the other to the top of the thermostat housing. Looking at the thermostat housing, there is another outlet (heater hose?) underneath, which looks lower than the thermostat, so this outlet should allow the flushing water to flow freely through the block without removing the thermostat. Its usual to flush both ways, first put the hosepipe down the water pump hose, then into the lower outlet of the thermostat housing, until the water runs through the other end cleanly.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petergeeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 09 at 20:08
Originally posted by Butternut boy Butternut boy wrote:

Just tagging this on..... What happens if I take this plate off that's marked with white paint(just above the cylinder 1 ???. I thought it was something used on the Porker 924, I've just realized it's not used there either.
Will it dump the coolant in the block?????

Hi again, no idea what the plate is for, could be used on some versions for a mechanical fuel pump (looks close to the camshaft) so could be oil rather than water - I wouldn't risk it!

Rgds
Peter.

Edited by petergeeky - 10 May 09 at 20:09
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petergeeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 09 at 20:13
Hi Butternut (me again!)

have you got a copy of the Haynes manual? - if so look on p30, bottom right photo (7.25b) you can see the plate next to the thermostat housing - definitely is a blanking into the "oily bit" of the head.

Rgds
Peter.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 09 at 20:44
Cheers Peter..., I'll get that done tomorrow and let you know how I get on....
BTW... The thermostats already out as it failed on me last week and I've not replaced it yet.

Oh and thanks for stopping me covering myself and everything else in sight in engine oil.
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 09 at 11:53
If you just drain and refill with water a few times you will get almost every last bit of old antifreeze out. What's left will be so diluted that it won't make a sod of difference. I did this last Oct as I had the usual ethylene/glycol antifreeze in there and wanted it all out before putting in some G12. I must have given it about 8 flushes in the end with a couple of runs up to temperature. Diluting what's in there with every drain/refill is the easiest way to get all the old stuff out. I've not tried the hose flush yet, might do that next time. I drained mine through he drain plug in the rad. Not best way and should have taken the bottom hose off, but it was cold and nasty and was taking the easy route. 
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 09 at 12:26
Cheers RR.....
You know the only thing that bothers me about not being able to get the system completely empty of fluid is that I'm dull and anal enough to only use distilled water with the G12.... Pain in the arse that there will still be some tap water in there no matter what we do..... Deposits on the alloy and all that.
I wonder if you could blow it out with an air line instead of a hose.
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 09 at 14:07
Originally posted by Butternut boy Butternut boy wrote:

Cheers RR.....
You know the only thing that bothers me about not being able to get the system completely empty of fluid is that I'm dull and anal enough to only use distilled water with the G12

That is exactly what I did so you are not the only one. Only difference is I saved my water from the dehumidifier I have running in the camper over winter. It produces about 3 litres of water every week and guess it must be as good as battery distilled water by the process of collecting the water from the atmosphere. Certainly more pure than tap and won't leave calcium deposits. I know some cars recommend tap water with their antifreeze. Not sure what VW say for the LT, by have a feeling I read distilled/deionised water. All this fuss. In the old days we just stuck tap water in the car and only put in antifreeze for the winter. That was about 30 years ago though when engines only lasted 60,000 miles and had a cast iron head.

I didn't know about G12 when I got my van in 2002 and stuck ordinary Ethylene Glycol in there. Stayed in until last year when I finally decided to put in the right stuff. As far as I know G12 is ethylene/glycol, with the addition of the BASF G48 anti corrosion additive. Having a tiny amount of the old Eth/Gly in there surely won't matter one jot, but no harm draining, flushing and refilling for as many times as you can before you get really fed up with it.

Must admit, when I warmed up the van after a few refills, the bottom rad hose didn't get hot, even though the temp gauge was reading normal. I think the temp gauge is looking at the head temp as that's where the temp sended is, but I would have thought the thermostat was open and letting water circulate around rad when it was reading normal. Perhaps not. I couldn't take it for a run at the time to really warm it up as didn't have tax on it.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 09 at 21:22
Originally posted by rockradio rockradio wrote:

I saved my water from the dehumidifier I have running in the camper over winter. It produces about 3 litres of water every week and guess it must be as good as battery distilled water by the process of collecting the water from the atmosphere. Certainly more pure than tap and won't leave calcium deposits.

Great idea mate, proper recycling. I've read you can use rain water as well... but Living in pretty much the centre of Manchester I think I'll give this one a miss. Great if you live in a more picturesque and unpolluted part of the world though I guess.

BTW I've noticed that 'cooler bottom rad hose thing' as well... I just figured it was because it's lined with something(plastic type tubing or something like it.)... Well the one in mine is any way.

Anyway, good to know I'm not on my own with the old coolant mix... Hands up who changes their engine oil every 5000 miles The old motoring enthusiasts habits eh....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>