The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

coolant/bleeding system building up pressure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vag_glen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: coolant/bleeding system building up pressure
    Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 20:47
Hi guys,

for the last year I've had trouble with my 2.1 dj building up pressure in the cooling system, the vans had new genuine radiator, waterpump, teromstat housing.
If i run at 2k with the rad plug out a lorry load of air comes out, then a good flow of coolant, no bubbles visable in the plastic tube that runs around the engine bay, Fan cuts in and out lovely.
After an hour of running with the header tank cap on etc it builds up shite loads of pressure again, and it always gets stuck at the thermostat housing, all the pipes go rock hard with air, And this in turn makes the van run fast due to no coolant passing the cold start sender, Bubbles are also visable running through the plastic tubing towards the header tank. Once the pressure is released from header tank the van runs spot on again.
When i changed the Thermo housing i did have probs with the new jk stat i bought not fitting, So i checked the old stat in a jug of boiling water and re fitted it, Would it be worth fitting a new genuine stat anyway? Also sometimes we get a niff of hot coolant coming through the van heater, only for a few seconds and then it clears.
Any help would be much appreciated guy's

Cheers Glen.

Edited by vag_glen - 03 Mar 09 at 20:47
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 20:52
glen try a genuine vw thermostat they make all the difference, we had very similar problems on piledrivers bus and  it was the gsf stat, it may also be worth you putting a new rad cap on as the pressure valve can get stuck

worst case scenario get the coolant sniffed and see if theres any combustion gasses getting in
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

vag_glen View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vag_glen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 21:04
When i first started having these probs i done a compression test which was bang on on all 4 pots, so i then had my mot guy do a coolant sniff, this stayed nice and blue, I did fit a new header cap last week, fitted a genuine cap and since then its mega hard to remove the cap under pressure, the jk one was very easy to remove, the difference i noticed between the 2 caps was the jk cap you could blow or suck, valve open all the time, the genuine cap you have to blow like fook and it makes a little sort of whoopee cushion soundLOL, should it be difficult to blow through the outlet pipe of the cap? Gonna order a genuine stat first thing in the morning.....Fingers Crossed!

Edited by vag_glen - 03 Mar 09 at 21:08
Rubbadub View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubbadub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 21:08
Glen i have exactly the same thing going on with my van.
Gen Vw rad
Gen VW stat
Gen Vw blue exp bottle cap........the lot

Admittedly it used to be a 1.9i with the old type cooling system, but now it has a complete later type 2.1i set up. Its a recon 2.1 from WEGE that was fitted about 3yrs ago. Since then it has been tested for CO and other exhaust gases in the water....Nothing!

Like you, pressure build up and water loss through the burp tank, this is not nessecarily when the engine is running hotter through sitting in traffic, for example. Also get the occasional wiff from the heaterConfused

Will be watching this oneStern Smile
Paul, Sarah, Cleo n Erin - Bristol

85 Poptop Westy Jkr
vag_glen View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vag_glen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 21:12
Originally posted by Rubbadub Rubbadub wrote:

Glen i have exactly the same thing going on with my van.

Maybe we need to get Derek Acorah to work his stuff and see whats going on............Marry loves Dick.....Marry loves DickLOL
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 21:33
if your getting a whiff thru your heaters could the matrix be slightly holed allowing air in??

could you try keeping the matrix set on cold...?
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 21:36
Does the tank inside the engine bay stay full up to the top with coolant or do you find that the level of the tank behind the flap rises after a while and you end up with half coolant and half air in the header tank?
vag_glen View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vag_glen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 21:46
Originally posted by Baxter Baxter wrote:

Does the tank inside the engine bay stay full up to the top with coolant or do you find that the level of the tank behind the flap rises after a while and you end up with half coolant and half air in the header tank?

main header tank goes down enough for coolant light to come on, open cap and level comes back up, if i fill tank behind numberplate to max mark it'll drain away somewhere with'in a week!
Rubbadub View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubbadub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 21:57
Same as that.

85 Poptop Westy Jkr
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 22:01
head gasket leak.
vag_glen View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vag_glen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 22:05

head gasket leak.

Cry Guess its gonna be the first attempt at taking the heads off! what gasket makes are to avoid? will i need to replace the waterjacket gaskets as well?
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 22:10
Reinz were the problematic ones I believe.
I've no idea who else they manufacture for either.
Price of Elring ones just almost doubled recently too, which is nice, not!
But, Elring work, and come with the tubes of sealer etc.
Red Westie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Westie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 09 at 00:31
Wiffy out of the heater vents.....heater matrix leaking perhaps?
Hoses should go rigid when system is fully pressurised, that is normal, obviously loosing coolant from the main header isn't good but could be the matrix......
Martin
shelly
T3_JIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3_JIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 09 at 09:42
Originally posted by vag_glen vag_glen wrote:

head gasket leak.

Cry Guess its gonna be the first attempt at taking the heads off! what gasket makes are to avoid? will i need to replace the waterjacket gaskets as well?

Hey buddy, sorry to here your still getting trouble with it, thought you'd sorted it Angry, i'll give you hand doing the gaskets, as long as it's a nice day with a constant flow of coffee and a bacon butty LOL
vag_glen View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vag_glen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 09 at 18:27

Reinz were the problematic ones I believe.
I've no idea who else they manufacture for either.
Price of Elring ones just almost doubled recently too, which is nice, not!
But, Elring work, and come with the tubes of sealer etc.

Ok gonna change the head gaskets this weekend, anyone know who stocks the Elring gaskets sets? VW heritage? gsf?
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 09 at 18:28
me you clown.
vag_glen View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vag_glen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 09 at 18:48
ah ok i'll go stand in the cornerClown dont suppose you can get them to Littlehampton by Saturday though?

I did replace the stat today but still the same! defo head gasket

Edited by vag_glen - 05 Mar 09 at 21:22
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 09 at 20:16
I bet he can.  Ordered my stuff Tues night, came today.Big smile
Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Rubbadub View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubbadub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 09 at 20:32

The red light on the temp gauge came on yesterday so i topped up the coolant, when i did i checked the the tank behind the flap and it was dry tooConfused

85 Poptop Westy Jkr
vag_glen View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vag_glen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 09 at 16:19
Ok fitted a new stat, no change, done another compression test today and got the following readings, 160-150 and 170 160. the 150 was on the left hand rear cylinder, does that look low enough to be a slight headgasket leak?
Is it normal for the van to chuck the coolant out the header when on tick over and header cap off, done this todayConfused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>