Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

interior light an indicator faults!!??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: interior light an indicator faults!!??
    Posted: 25 Feb 09 at 13:57
OK heres a weird one for ya all

Interior light is flickering on an off very rapidly including the dash "door open" light
heres what happens

ignition off an shut the doors lights dim and stay off, even when I latch the locks manually with the doors open

as soon as i start the van it begins to flickerConfused
when i open the sliding doors it keeps flickering open or shut (same with rear door)
If I open either front door the light stops flickering
but the ign off test shows the micro switches work

any ideas??
im thinkin loose connection maybe but where on earth could it beConfusedConfused

other prob is the indicators
they all work fine but the dash indicator clicks really fast as if a bulb is blown but none have
the rears look a bit dimmer than id have thought but they work

Edited by Onefut - 25 Feb 09 at 13:57
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 09 at 14:23
just had a thought LOL
wonder if its the dimmer module?

anyone know where that is?
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 09 at 19:58
just been out in the van and realised the rear indicators are quiet dim
so could poss be a bad earth
dunno how the hell im gonna find itConfused cud spend all day looking

anyone think the 2 probs could be related?
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 09 at 20:25
Or a short?

I hate modern auto electrics. Angry

Edited by Berisford - 25 Feb 09 at 20:27
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 09 at 20:47
me too everything is linked into everythin else
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 10:09

I'd hazard  a guess that the different problems are related - possibly a faulty earth or a power supply problem ?  How bright are your brake lights ?

IIRC the T5 will use the tail lights as brake lights (by putting more power through the tail light filament) if it thinks there is a problem with a brake light globe (eg blown globe), so that may mask a more general wiring problem.  But I thought it would display a warning liight or message to tell you about it.

Edited by gregozedobe - 26 Feb 09 at 10:10
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 14:20
All other lights are fine
just rear indicators are dim
and interior lights stay on all the time when the engine is running and the doors shut
but they go off when the engine is stopped and go on and off as normal when the doors are opened and closed with the engine off
they stop flickering when you open the front doors
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 22:13

Sorry onefut I did reply before but I'm on a flakey mobile connection at the moment and it doesn't always work.

The interior light problem does sound like it could be a separate issue.  I think the ecu uses the door locks (as in open or closed rather than locked or unlocked) to to operate the interior lights instead of the old fashioned switch in the door shut.   So I think it could be that one of the door locks is faulty.  However all that sort of stuff is monitored by a controller that is under the driver's seat so if that is faulty that is another possibility.

Re the dim rear indicators etc- if you are certain that only the rear indicators are dim it could be a fault with the multiplexed wiring system as Greg mentions.  I'm just a humble nuts and bolts chap really bumping along (the bottom!) and I wish someone would explain multiplexed wiring to me in a way I could actually understand! Embarrassed 

Edited by T5 TDI - 27 Feb 09 at 22:15
2004 2.5 174
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 13:07
Well had another look at it last night an the brake lights are very bright

but side lights an indicators are deffo dimmed
didnt check reverse lights tho guess i shudda

gonna try an have a proper look today or tomoz

oping its just some loose connector
will check out the unit under the drivers seat that ou mentioned T5

thanx for the replies guysWink
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 09 at 18:51
ok sorted the rear light problem
have narrowed it down to the towbar electrics
have removed them from the equation and the indicators etc are all working fine
so it must be the relay box supplied by tow equipe and ive emailed them for another one

but the interioir light still baffles me
they work fine on and off when the engine isnt running
with the key in or out of the ignition
ignition on or off

but when you start the van the lights are off for 2 to 3 secs then they come on flickering as does the dash warning lightConfused

surely theres a whizz kid auto elctrickery person on here somewhere with a miracle cureLOL

oh i disconnected the connectors to the module under the seat but they made no difference
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 09 at 01:03
Sounds like it could be a fault with the box that controls the lights to me.  They flicker when they are switching themselves off after a while or when I switch the ignition on.

Another possibility is a worn ignition switch.  Do you have a collection of keys attached to the van key ?  These can drag the contacts away from each other at the back of the ignition switch.  Try jiggling the key around (with the engine running - so don't switch it off) and see if that does anything.  If it does, then you might need a new ignition switch (the electrical contacts stuff, not the actual lock with cylinders etc).
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 09 at 16:18
is the control box the one under the drivers seat as mentioned earlier in the thread?

I did wonder about the ign switch i did try wiggling the switch an it did seem to affect it but i was difficult too tell with it already flickering

i might have a look at the ign switch an see if i can take it off an repair it

anyone know the part no. for the ign switch?
and the control box?

contacted the guy about he relay module for the towing electrics so im hoping he can supply one cheaply enough

Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 09 at 17:00
Got at the ignition today an stripped it down (will post pics in mods when i got the chance)
pulled the switch apart an cleaned the connectors, nowt to dirty but there is no grease/lubrication inside these at allConfused
Put it all back together an its still flashinConfused

just in process of trying to get the inner door panel off the drivers door to get at the locking mechanism to check out the micro switch
Wot a feckin jobCryAngry
They dont like makin thing easy do they no wonder garage bills are so highLOL
how the hell i  disconnect the macanism from the outer lock ive no idea
im about to try a big hamme and cold chiselLOL
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 09 at 20:38
Hi onefut,  You could save yourself a fair bit of time by getting a diagnostic check.  If you can find someone with vag-com (VCDS these days) your flickering interior lights should have been enough to trip a fault code.  As far as I remember the door locks come under the conveniance module.  This should tell you which particular lock is at fault if that's all the problem is.

If it's the module/controller itself it will need coding for the options you have on you van.  I can help you with the correct coding for your van.  If they are using VDCS I can tell them how to code it if they are stuck. 

You have checked every door by manually operating it with the door open making sure to get two 'clicks' from each lock (safety and fully closed) haven't you? Smile                   

2004 2.5 174
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 09 at 21:00
yep did the manual check - 2 clicks
its gotta be the fronts or the module

no access to vag-comCry

did have etka and elsawin but died with the old PCCry

got drivers side lock infront of me now
stripped it an resoldered the joints on the micro switches as i read on other vw forums that some other vw's had trouble with them.
all together now an ready to go back on

Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 09 at 10:59
what a job an a half to suss out strippin down the door an lock Confused
Sussed it eventually an am now quiet good at itLOL
will post pics n stuff asap
still not sorted the problem wi the interior lights tho

just to check again the module that controls the lights is under the driver seat yeah!?

did notice another thing yesterday when i click the close button on the key fob all doors close
then when i click it again the dead locks are supposed to click yeah??!!

well they do on all doors except the passenger front which actually unlocksConfused
any ideas?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 09 at 12:51
Originally posted by Onefut Onefut wrote:

did notice another thing yesterday when i click the close button on the key fob all doors close
then when i click it again the dead locks are supposed to click yeah??!!

well they do on all doors except the passenger front which actually unlocksConfused
any ideas?

The locking functions are programmable (either with the Full height MFD if you are lucky, otherwise you need VCDS or the dealer tool), so what it is supposed to do depends on how it has been programmed.

For example, I've got my T5 set up so :

1 press of the Lock button on the key fob locks and deadlocks all doors
2 presses of the Lock button on the key fob locks all doors (no deadlocking)
1 press of the Unlock button on the key fob unlocks the drivers door only
2 presses of the Unlock button on the key fob unlocks all doors

There are other options (eg all doors unlock with 1 press of the Unlock button), and you can set all doors to lock above 10mph (anti hi-jack), drivers door to unlock when you remove the ignition key etc.

But I don't think there is supposed to be any option that actually unlocks a door when you press the lock button on your remote. 

There was a similar sounding problem with the rear tailgate that was caused by a faulty locking mechanism in the tailgate.  A lot of these were replaced under warranty.  Maybe there is a fault with the locking mechanism in your passenger door ?  (but I would still suspect a wiring or controller problem given the other symptoms you have described).  Sorry, I don't know where the controller for the locks is located.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 09 at 18:12
I have never had to change a T5 one but I think the controller is under driver's seat.  And as I mentioned if you replace it it will need to be coded by someone with diagnostic equipment.

Normally when you press the close button once all the doors should deadlock.  No need to press it twice.  However when you are unlocking the doors, one press of the open button opens the driver's door only, two presses opens all of the doors.  This is how all UK vans are set up from new but you can get various locking options set up via the diagnostic connection by the dealer or someone with VCDS.

Since you seem to have the fault pegged to both front doors now the only comon link I can think of is the module.  The daft auto relocking feature (which can't be got rid of and believe me I've tried!) is cancelled by opening either front door so that could be the fault but I think this will all be worked by the controller anyway.  But it's likely to be expensive to just change it blind without a diagnostic check when it could still be a wiring problem. 

If you decide to change the controller I'll give you the code from mine which should allow it to work basically until we can sort out the right code for the exact options your van has. 

Good luck anyway Smile         

Edited by T5 TDI - 16 Mar 09 at 18:16
2004 2.5 174
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 09 at 21:01
cheers guys

its a royal pain not havin access to vag-com

if i new the ebay ones were any good id get one just to sort this problemAngry

once ive got a clear run at it im gonna remove the passenger door lock an just see if the switches are ok

if not then i might see if i can get the module from a breakers either that or just cheat for a while an leave the fuse out an run a switch with inline fuse for the interior lights for now anyway

that way i dont have to keep puttin the fuse back inLOL
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 09 at 02:49
I noticed something else today
i have electric side loading doors, altho the cable have rusted and snappedAngry

the lights on the buttons for the doors dont work
they shud illuminate when the doors are open and and the override button is pressed but theres nowtConfused

im thinkin it must deffo be the convenience module

anyone know the part no or know how much?

can i fit one out of any transporter/shuttle/caravelle

Post Reply Post Reply