The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fixing a autohome kamper roof

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annemarieke80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixing a autohome kamper roof
    Posted: 28 Jun 08 at 14:58
we have just bought a T3 autohomes kamper which needs it's roof fixing. my husband is a roofer by trade (not for kampers) and is thinking of using fibreglass that is used on boats. Has anyone else ever done this job and what advise could you give us? thanks.
Annemarieke
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 08 at 15:16
What's the problem with the roof?
My van is better known in these parts than I am
annemarieke80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annemarieke80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 08 at 15:36
the top capping needs replacing.
Annemarieke
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 08 at 18:41
i replied to this on 80-90. there are no roof caps available anymore.
i had to fit a different roof to mine.
you may be able to strip it and reboard it and then put a grp covering on, or if your luck find a second hand one off a breaker......

no easy answer im afraid.

good luck with your hunt.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

badger View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 08 at 21:58
Ripped mine off completely and fitted a S/H leisuredrive side hinged pop-top instead (first van i had). If you're still intent on replacing it, make sure the timber is in good where the struts attach.
1989 Westy California 1.9 AAZ
Tradesize View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tradesize Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 08 at 22:26
you may wish to consider the possibility of a new roof, i understand there is a guy on the 80-90 forums called timbertech who can supply and fit a new fibrgalss roof. do not quote me on this but i think someone who had a roof installed here in bristol by him said it was about £600 not to westfalia standard but for that price a very good job i thought.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annemarieke80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 08 at 13:19
he's still intent on fixing it himself..... will let you know if it works and take some pics etc.
Annemarieke
Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 08 at 23:02
Loads of cold emulsion and then grit it.Tongue

Stu Dapples View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Ebenezer Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu Dapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 08 at 06:41
Roofing felt? Confused

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annemarieke80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 08 at 07:37
no, we have a freind who will help us who has made some cars out of fibreglass, so still going with that idea. not being over technical myself I don't understand what the complete idea is but am sure it will work as hubby is a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to his work.
Annemarieke
mike the van man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike the van man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 08 at 17:06
Smile It is possible to have a new elevating roof cap fitted that is made from fibreglass and looks the same as your original roof cap
Contact Autovan Services Ltd on 01202848414 .
These guys used to work for the original Kamper manufacturers in Poole so they should know what they are doing

I know a couple of owners that have had this done and they are very pleased with the result- both price and work quality.
I believe that the job costs just over £ 1000.00 but it is better that having a hightop fitted as it has retained the original look of the van.
clive883 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Moaner Lisa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive883 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 08 at 21:04
yeh you can fix most things with fibre glass kits  and  polyurathia sealer like U_POL tiger seal or sikaflx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annemarieke80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 08 at 12:09
we do live in suffolk so dorset might be a little far to go. we will be fixing it once the weather is a little better. I've just spent the last 2 nights sleeping in her with my 3 year old so she's not too bad, she dosn't leak. we did have a bit of ice on the insides of the window though!
Annemarieke
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 22 at 15:52
I'm also in Suffolk and have a T3 Kamper i know this is a old post but did you do the roof and have you any pictures as i am about to start repairing mine.
Thank You
 Post Reply Post Reply