The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine recon advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkoshra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine recon advice
    Posted: 18 Apr 23 at 17:50
Hello. I cooked the engine in my T3 due to:
  1. Faulty temp gauge, which worked but only went half way up it turns out
  2. It only being a weird 1.6(?) naturally aspirated diesel engine and being too full of people
Anyway, it was bodged by an overworked mechanic in France after the water pump went kaput and it lasted long enough to get us home. It's sat in a garage for a long time waiting for an engine upgrade that I can't afford. Now I want it going again and think the cheapest option might be to just get the engine reconditioned so at least I can drive it again. 

Any experience, advice, recommendations? I am in the midlands if that helps?!

Cheers!
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 23 at 10:29
I'd go looking for a decent used 1Y to replace it with. The 1Y a 1.9L N/A engine which should you give you decent lift in power, and the bonus is that most of the ancilliaries should be a straight bolt-on.

Edited by clift_d - 19 Apr 23 at 10:30
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
gkoshra View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkoshra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 23 at 09:42
Thanks for the reply. Will have a look for one of them whilst I'm searching around.
colinthefox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 23 at 18:38
I have a 1.6 NA CS engine here surplus to requirements.
PM me if interested.
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

All sorts of other oil burners too.

gkoshra View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkoshra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 23 at 18:34
Thanks for the replies. I've had someone who _actually_ knows what they are on about look at it and it doesn't look like it's warped anything, piston rings all intact etc. The culprit was most likely an air lock somewhere that ended up boiling the water and knackering the water pump. That's all been sorted now so it just needs running and maybe a new set of injectors. 
 Post Reply Post Reply