The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eberspacher D2L - Thermostat Controller

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eberspacher D2L - Thermostat Controller
    Posted: 08 Jul 10 at 15:24
Hi,

The circular thermostat control has broken (part no 251597801200) on my eber and i'm finding it impossible to get a replacement unit as it is no longer in production.

Does anyone know if a later control will work with B2L/D2L?

Cheers

Jim
SebRogers View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebRogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 10 at 15:41
This should do it. Expensive though.

I had the same problem and eventually stumbled across a replacement on fleabay. They do seem to be like rocking horse poo though...
'85 T3 Doka EJ22
'94 T4 Westy Cali Club ABT 2.4td
Jim Green View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 10 at 15:56
220 euro, Ouch! I've just spoken with a guy at Espar in Plymouth and apparently you cannot use any other controller as the one for the B2l/D2L is actually a volkswagen part and thus later eber controllers are not compatible due to wiring issues. Apparently the heater was built solely for VW/Westafalia.

He said it was a common fault for the dial to drop out due to it drying out in the sun etc. I'm just wondering if it may be possible to fix it. The last thing I want to do is replace the Eber as it's otherwise in great condition.

ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 10 at 17:30
Try Patrik at

He had complete ebers for less!
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

SebRogers View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebRogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 10 at 18:25
Originally posted by Jim Green Jim Green wrote:

He said it was a common fault for the dial to drop out due to it drying out in the sun etc. I'm just wondering if it may be possible to fix it. The last thing I want to do is replace the Eber as it's otherwise in great condition.

It does seem to be a common problem. I suspect if you carefully take the thing apart, it ought to be possible to bodge a replacement twiddly thing (might need some lateral thinking to come up with an alternative knob) in there that'll do the job, even if it doesn't look as neat. I kept my old controller so I can tackle it on a long, dark, wet winter's evening and end up with a spare...
'85 T3 Doka EJ22
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 10 at 19:42
It comes apart quite easily, and if you have the dial still you'll be able to see it can be attached back on - might need gluing etc but should be able to bodge something...
Jim Green View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 10 at 13:50
Ok, thanks all. I'll open it up and have a look.
westy end View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westy end Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 10 at 14:11
exactly the same problem with mine - I just stick a very small screwdriver in there if i want to change it - although i have not noticed a great deal of difference between any setting - 10 mins of warm air in a van is usually enough to allow me to get out of bed!

if anyone takes theirs to pieces or has the dial could they take a picture of it so that i can approximate a replacement - it is not obvious how it sits in the housing as there is a rubbery membrane and then some notches underneath.

still, in the weather it is not a high priorityBig smile
there has been an alarming increase in the number of things i know nothing about
SebRogers View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebRogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 10 at 16:28
Originally posted by westy end westy end wrote:

although i have not noticed a great deal of difference between any setting 

If it's all present and correct and working properly the Eber should spit out heat until it reaches the temp that corresponds to what you set on the dial, at which point it switches to a kind of standby mode until the temp falls again. On standby you can hear the Eber fan, but at a much quieter level than when it's on and pumping heat.

It's worth taking the time to fix, IMHO. When the dial was broken I'd just switch the Eber on manually until the van was warm enough and then switch it off again. Fine, unless (like me) you use the van all year round, in which case when it's below freezing outside you end up waking up several times a night to switch it back on. Now I can just set the thermostat and leave it running all night, knowing that it'll keep the inside of of the van at a comfy temperature Smile
'85 T3 Doka EJ22
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 10 at 19:28
Hi,
I have a D1LC which was originally only fitted with a timed switch, I bought a "modulator" from http://hallselectrical.com for £37.50. Not sure if that would work with your heater but if not they will tell you what will, not all of their stock is shown online as I have just looked to find it but it's not listed.

It works exactly like a thermostat but I think it is a rheostat? Give them a call.

Cheers

Zeb

Edited by Zeb - 10 Jul 10 at 19:31
1990 Westfalia California 1.6TD
Jim Green View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 10 at 11:55
I've now taken the controller face off and it looks reasonably starightforward to fix. I've also taken some photo's as requested.

The only issue I have is a small piece of plastic that I assume was connected to the plastic dial and somehow connected it to the thermostat switch. I can't figure out how this is meant to be located.

I think I will probably araldite the dials plastic spigot into the hole through the rotating thermostat switch as photos demonstrate. I assume my method will not affect temperature reading?

Web link to photo's below (Any idea how you load photo's straight into the messages?)

rubyvan78 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubyvan78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 10 at 22:17
Originally posted by Jim Green Jim Green wrote:

I've now taken the controller face off and it looks reasonably starightforward to fix. I've also taken some photo's as requested.

The only issue I have is a small piece of plastic that I assume was connected to the plastic dial and somehow connected it to the thermostat switch. I can't figure out how this is meant to be located.

I think I will probably araldite the dials plastic spigot into the hole through the rotating thermostat switch as photos demonstrate. I assume my method will not affect temperature reading?

Web link to photo's below (Any idea how you load photo's straight into the messages?)

I have a similar problem but i dont think your idea will work as you have to join the spigot to the  dial and I think it will snap
Stephen Grieve
artisanjewellery.net
rubyvan78@hotmail.com

MartinPrg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinPrg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 24 at 15:46
I have one for sale actually.

From my personal car Club Joker 251597801200

Martin

email: martin.hacecky.cz@outlook.com
VW T3 T3 Club Joker 1988, 1.9 mTdi
 Post Reply Post Reply