The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CLUNK!... bus won't start (Auto)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CLUNK!... bus won't start (Auto)
    Posted: 11 Mar 23 at 14:58
Some months ago I finally got around to having my transmission fluid leak resolved, but now I have an unrelated, non-starting issue...

After a recent period of little/no use I decided to use my bus to keep everything working (ironically).
On starting up, the starter would spin up strong and free, and the engine would fire accompanied by a loud, solid clunk from the engine.
I'd wanted to post on here for advice, but insrtead, after about half-a-dozen short trips, the bus won't start.
At first it sounded like a week battery (despite being fairly new and fully charged) as it whirred and slowed down, but now I just get the solonoid click and the interior lights switch off until i release the key.

Now it feels like something physical, rather than elctrical or fuel related, 'locking' the engine; I've tried turning over the engine by hand with a 30mm spanner on the crank pulley but it won't budge and feels solid...

Starter was rebuilt a few years ago, electrical connections are new, ignition and inhibitor switches are new, battery is recent and fully charged, 'hot-start' relay is new and working.

Bus is an '89 2.1L MV Auto.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply