Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Clacking" Noise ? Any Pointers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Clacking" Noise ? Any Pointers
    Posted: 24 May 10 at 13:28
Howdy All...

Noticed a noise coming from the engine bay when I'm driving. Really hard to describe...sounds almost like a clack...or a castinet being closed.....or possibly even similar to an electric arc.

It's intermittent, and there doesn't seem to be anything particular that sets it off, thought it was braking but then not all the time, same with clutch.

The only thing that has changed recently is the starter motor...

Had a look in said engine bay, but can't see anything obvious floating around...anyone any ideas ?

Cheers
Daz
Vanfest 2011 - Skittles Vodka
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team
Camperjam 2013 - Lost to the Bodybuilders, but delivered in a Syncro
Tough Mudder - Fried Piggy For - Charity

So, Rae is a girl then yeah.
T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 10 at 14:27
Is it a diesel 5cyl?
Could be the beginnings of the vacuum pump clack-- theres a rod (I think) that gets some play in it and clacks, usually noticeably quieter if you pump the brakes when it clacks.

Edited by T3di - 24 May 10 at 14:28

traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 10 at 14:50
Doh...Sorry it's a 1.9TD if that makes a difference ?

johnboy View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 10 at 16:24
My 1996 2.4 d non turbo is doing the same, Went to the trouble of changing all the buckets/things tappets you know, but made no differance, Does any soul know what is involved in this vacume thingy and cost of having it done?? thanks a lot,
T3 auto/sleeper trouper now T4 leisure drive 1994 1.9.diesel (More mpg thank God!)
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 10 at 16:29
Mine doesn't Clack all the time. It's every now and again...and just once....is that what yours was doing ? 

T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 10 at 18:02

solarboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 10 at 22:11
I can't think of anything like that except maybe the starter as it's just been changed.
T4 2.5TDI builder wagon remapped to 117BHP.
also
T4 1.9TDI AHU Kombi

Bristol VRT double decker conversion.Donkey cart.
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 10 at 22:43
Hi the1.9td had a problem with the crankshaft sprocket wearing on the keyway to the crank this can cause a clacking noise every now and then but certainly worth checking as if the keyway lets go it will let the cambelt spin without turning the cam but turning the crank and you have an expensive meeting of minds.
benbev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benbev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 10 at 23:38
Bottom pulley?
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 10 at 23:49
Not the bottom pulley when the pulley is removed there is a sprocket which drives the cam belt the locating key is part of the sprocket and sits in the keyway on the crank i have seen the key break away from the pulley allowing the belt to spin and damaging the crank in the process
benbev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benbev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 10 at 09:03
what i meant was - could the clacking noise be the bottom pulley disintergrating. Mine diagnosed as fooked and makes clacking sound.
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 10 at 09:18
Originally posted by VW master-tech VW master-tech wrote:

Hi the1.9td had a problem with the crankshaft sprocket wearing on the keyway to the crank this can cause a clacking noise every now and then but certainly worth checking as if the keyway lets go it will let the cambelt spin without turning the cam but turning the crank and you have an expensive meeting of minds.

HI VW Master-Tech....thanks for the head up there....it's chinese to me but a garage should be able to check no ? 

I can't afford another expensive meeting of minds given the engine is new as of December...what bugs the shit out of me is the mechanic that fitted it threw all the old ancillaries back on and didn't tell me some of them might be in need of attention....alternator belt & Starter motor as examples...

Any idea how much I'd get my trousers dropped just to check ? 

Post Reply Post Reply