The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

blue smoke very uneven lumpy vibration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 174 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: blue smoke very uneven lumpy vibration
    Posted: 26 Oct 21 at 09:53
Hi.to you all.my 2008 t5 1.9 pd low ps one since owning has never wanted to pull below 2000 rpm.and drifted black smoke without power below 2000 and pulling ok after 2000.now the bad bit.i have just had a stage 1 remap installed and it pulled really well but i noticed at the low rpm it was still not pulling.next day my wife went out and eml light came on blue smoke running rough vibration woudnt rev properly.just started looking.i have took off n75 connection and maf connection neither made any difference.your thoughts please.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 21 at 10:28
Black smoke is unburnt diesel (too much fuel/not enough air).  Possibly the turbo wasn't making enough boost at low revs.  Variable vanes stuck in the high speed position maybe ?

Blue smoke is usually oil, often from a fail/ing/ed turbo.  Check for excessive play on the turbo shaft.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 21 at 20:29
You really need to get a scan with VCDS or similar as a basic start.  Expect to see codes for the wires you pulled off!  Blue smoke is a bit more worrying than black smoke but start with the scan.  Vibrations on diesels often turn out to be misfires often caused by injector problems but a split intercooler can cause similar symptoms.  Remappers shouldn't be remapping engines with obvious other faults.  

Simple things you can check yourself start with the air filter and pipework for restrictions and the intercooler for any swelling, missing or loose vertical braces or oil staining.  Any splits in the big hoses from the turbo to the intercooler also can cause power loss and black smoke.  

Neither I.9's or 2.5's have much boost below 2000 rpm but there shouldn't be much black or blue smoke or 'shaking'.  
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply