The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on Buying an LT2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on Buying an LT2
    Posted: 08 Feb 13 at 18:24
I'm toying with the idea of buying an xlwb van and converting it to a motorhome. From what I can see my choices are;
1) an iveco-big but small payload
2) a merc-nice but expensive
3) a Citroën relay-small but cheap
4) an lt-don't know a lot about them
It's got to be an xlwb because I'm into my mtbing and I need storage/garage.

I'm guessing the LT is the best choice but what year and engine etc and what faults should I be looking for?I've got 5-8k to spend.

Edited by volition82 - 11 Feb 13 at 10:54
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 13 at 20:31
Lt2 s are a revelation compared to early lt s. A 2500 tdi 109 bhp one will shock you in terms of performance economy and space.
A mid or lwb one should do all you need. Your budget should get a nice low miler !
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 13 at 09:18
^WHS^

Ben found a beauty, unmolested vans are out there if you look hard enough. Good luck
Carthago 32.1 T4 LWB
BY Golden Nut Winner
Chug & Tug Team Member
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 13 at 11:03

Finding a good tidy one will be a bit of a job i'm guessing.  I've just come back from Exmoor in mine and the constant up and down was a bit of a nightmare.  Crawling up the hills and then getting brake fade on any long descents.  Lt1's are good vans in their own way but being my only vehicle (and home) they do get a bit trying at times.

Does anybody know the difference in length bewteen the lwb and the xlwb?  Being a lanky sod the extra length does come in handy.
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 13 at 12:27

didn't know they did a xlwb but if you mean between the MWB and the LWB then the overall length is 5585mm (approx18'4") MWB, and 6535mm (approx 21'5") LWB, and actual load area lengths are 3265mm (approx 10'8") and 4215mm (approx 13'9") respectively HTH.
p.s. the one in my sig is a MWB, more pics on  the show us your bus thread if you're interested.

Edited by BeJay - 11 Feb 13 at 12:45
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 13 at 16:20
5-8 k is crafter money the sprinters have cracking engines(far moer refined than the vw 2.5 and light years beter that the vm 2.8 vw use) but can be very costly if the go wrong but they are reliable , if you do go down the sprinter route make sure its a low mileage one as a lot of the problems they suffer form is injector related 

volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 13 at 09:53
I do like the mercs but like you said they are costly when they go wrong.  I know somebody whos older type engine went 7-8 years ago and it cost 4.5K, sod that! Theres a really nice one on ebay at the moment but iirc it's 8.5K plus the vat.  Expensive but it would be ideal. 

The xlwb LT seems to be a rare one but they are available.  I'd rather buy one already done especially after already doing it once and knowing the work and cost involved.  But I can't find exactly what i'm looking for because what i'm after is quite specific.  Large fixed bed over a garage, winterized insulation, non blown air heating etc.  When your living in the van seemingly little details can really start to grate.

The only real option is to do it myself.  I'll have to do some detailed drawings to get a better idea of the exact length then I can see if I can get away with a shorter van but I doubt it.

I've already been drooling over your van and the others in the show us your bus thread.  It's played a large part in starting the ideal of doing another!
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 13 at 16:05
I've only ever seen the XLWB (two sizes bigger than Bejay's) once, and that was the Sprinter version. It didn't appear in the Merc brochure of the time (I was thinking of buying one once) so I wondered whether it was special order only. Judging from the body panels it was the same size increase as the MWB over the SWB.

It had an extra panel inserted compared with the one below:

For insulation, how about buying a fridge van? I don't know if the premium you'd pay for one would outweigh the time and money spent on insulating it though. You'd have one hell of an AC system though!
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 13 at 21:35
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 13 at 00:02
Is the 2.5tdi the same as in the T5?
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 13 at 15:36
Same as the T4 except it is fitted long ways & mounted to a Merc gearbox, prop & diff
Carthago 32.1 T4 LWB
BY Golden Nut Winner
Chug & Tug Team Member
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 13 at 15:46
And a bigger intercooler!
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

flowervanman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flowervanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 13 at 11:15
Sprinters are great, I sold fruit and veg for 20yrs and we always had sprinters, they were a revelation after the 308! Seriously overloaded every day for years and hardly any problems mechanically. They love to rust though !
Founder Member of the One Man Brazilian Bay Club within a non club forum based chat thingy
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 13 at 12:43
Considering a 98-99 doka but would rather not have to buy merc parts here. Very expensive. Nothing sold here by VW has the 2.5tdi so any parts would have to come from across the pond if it made sense.

The option is a T4 doka with the same engine. Front drive is way better in the snow.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
 Post Reply Post Reply