The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2.8 TDI glow plugs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.8 TDI glow plugs
    Posted: 21 Jan 15 at 08:03
A word of warning when ordering glow plugs from euro car or others.
My set that arrived were 3cms too short yet that's "what was on their system" so it was refund only. I was in a hurry so had to order direct from VW, can't say I'm particularly happy with £126 for four Beru plugs!!! I thought £73 from Euro was steep enough!!!

wheresthatgonenow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 15 at 15:23
to be honest your better off with the vw gen ones and i say you have made the right call, they should last  longer, besides the quality should be there along with the warranty for the parts, the last thing you want is a cheapo plug breaking up and mixing with the pistons and valves, anything that has protential to do lots of damage inside the engine go with vw parts
T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 15 at 21:35
Oky, so the new plugs seemed initially to start the van quicker than the old ones, but never brilliantly, (I'd usually give it 3 or 4 "glows" before cranking and it would spin a fair bit before coaxing into life.
After this last bout of snow, it had sat for a week, so proper cold conditions and I nearly gave up on it before the battery did, then it finally spluttered into life.

So this clearly ain't right, and I'm struggling to find much info on the 2.8, theres a relay under the battery, a blue one with Durite stamped on the side, (I think they make glow plugs?) I should probably start there and also check volts and amps at each plug. 
Slightly paranoid now that from the cab I could hear a  dull click as the glow plug light went out....which I dont hear anymore. (Relay?)

I've read a few things about pulling the coolant sensor wire to see if it gives it a longer glow time.
Also pump timing? All is fine when its warmer weather though and it runs great.
Guy I bought it off had a mechanic mate that works at VW, said he was told the cold start issue was most likely to do with injectors as its done 190thou miles. Surely if an injector is bad enough to prevent starting I'd notice it not running great (and it does and pulls trainlike).

Got a day off tomorrow and its forecast perfect freeeezing testing conditions Approve

Post Reply Post Reply