The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1G engine service intervals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1G engine service intervals
    Posted: 19 Jan 24 at 12:21
Hi folks.  Not posted for many years on here, but still have my Florida (1990 - I've had since 2007).

Can anyone help me out with service intervals for valve clearances and the timing belts for cam and fuel pump?

I've got the engine manual from VW and the Volvo one also but none of them seem to have service intervals.

I'm not an experienced mechanic but over the years have been doing more and more on my motorcycles so building up some confidence, and now as there 's a couple of things on the van that need attention i'm trying to take these on.  Have smoke coming out of the exhaust manifold and also some oil leaks around the cylinder head cover so starting with these, but wanting to check clearances while I go in there.

Thanks all.
Andrew
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 24 at 22:12
Hi

Service intervals for belts are:

Check - 20,000 miles or 2 years
Replace - 75,000 miles or 4 years
Valves - have hydraulic lifters so no adjustment is possible or necessary

Belt change requires a few special tools:
injection pump sprocket locking pin - VAG TOOL No.2064
Tension gauge - VAG TOOL No.210
Camshaft setting bar - VAG TOOL No.2065A
Sprocket holding tool - VAG TOOL No.3036

I'm not familiar with the 1G but the smoke from the manifold will either be a crack in the manifold or a failed  manifold gasket. Do they have an EGR?
Cylinder head leaks could be the cam cover gasket or the camshaft oil seals, also worth checking/cleaning breather system valves and hoses.
If you're going to have a go at changing the belts yourself I'll see if I can post the procedure for you.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
AndrewG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 24 at 10:01
Hi mojo thanks for coming back.

Is it same interval for can belt and the injection pump belt?

For the valves, i'd checked in the service manuals for this engine and was indicating shim procedure, are you sure about the hydraulic lifters?  I've not had the cover off just yet.

The special tools I've seen brickwerks has something for most of those, not sure about the tension gauge.  I've seen some advice on forums about checking belt tension by twisting the belt by hand .. like you should be able to twist 45deg or 90 deg depending on the belt.

I'm taking all the exhaust manifold studs out just now .. carefully as I can with heat, gentle hammer , wd40 want to make sure I don't crack a stud but its ok so far.  Will check for cracks when i'm further along.  I'll put a few photos also to show what i'm trying to fix.

Also want to work out how the fan comes off to help turn the crankshaft easily .. details a bit sparse in the manual.

Would appreciate the timing belt procedure, I've seen some versions posted on D24T.com which is very active forum but happy to get as much advice as I can.

Cheers for advice.
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 24 at 20:36
Yes for both belts.
My VW electronic workshop doesn't cover the 1G but another data source I use states hydraulic lifters.
Sometimes a search on the likes of ebay will throw up cheaper aftermarket tools.
Yes pics are good, if you can post some of the fan I might be able to help.

2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
AndrewG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 24 at 20:53
Hi mojo thank you for posting this it looks very detailed, have scanned through for now - I've not done this kind of procedure before but hope to give it a try once I get my leaks fixed.  I dropped a few videos onto youtube below, I have photo of exhaust manifold also after working on it but having difficulty uploading the picture, will try again.

mainfold leak, from cylinder no 6.

inlet manifold

I've spent some time on the exhaust manifold bolts.  10 out with no issues.  One I snapped the stud, but its snapped where the bolt comes past the manifold, so I'm hoping that will come out later.  One I'm having difficulty getting a tool onto just under the no 3 cylinder port, will come back to that one.

Thanks!!

Post Reply Post Reply