The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1980 VW T3 DoKa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surf dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 12 at 09:17
Originally posted by Gtavalanche Gtavalanche wrote:

Where abouts? I'm at wattisham. If you ever need a hand.

Hi there, well I was there too, until I left in March,but live in Shotley Gate. We probably already know each other Wink don't drive a twin turbo'd panel van do you?

Too many projects..... Not enough time!
Gtavalanche View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 12 at 10:31
Nah. Thats james. Mines a gti'd carravelle. Jame's van is fookin fast! You reme then?
I taste Hurty!
surf dude View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surf dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 12 at 10:37
No, ex AAC. Was the GSM Wink Now I'm a civi!!
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 12 at 11:10
Ah. I remember. Pete isnt it. You'll probly not remember me. Been at wallop for two years.
I taste Hurty!
surf dude View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surf dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 12 at 12:42
Try me Smile was in Wallop on Monday catching up with a few peeps. Yep, Pete. 

Anyway, in other news, I now have a shiny dashboard in the garage courtesy of nick1973. Much much better than mine, which is full of holes. Off to the garage now to start on it's transformation Wink
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 12 at 12:58
Sounds good. Im leroy glover. Was 663 then troop then wallop now 653.

Got plenty of bits and bobs in the spares pile if you need anything.
I taste Hurty!
surf dude View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surf dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 12 at 13:14
Name rings a bell (but I do have a shit memory Embarrassed ) I'll let you know if I need anything. Patch still there? Might need a hand with my Scooby conversion!!
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 12 at 14:12
Patch is still about. But he's 6 regt now. What engine you going for.
I taste Hurty!
surf dude View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surf dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 12 at 14:15
Got a 2 litre lump on Megasquirt and if that doesn't work I've got the 2.5 from my old Legacy Outback!!
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 12 at 14:34
Sounds good. 2.5 would be nice. You doing it all yourself.
I taste Hurty!
surf dude View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surf dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 12 at 20:02
Originally posted by Gtavalanche Gtavalanche wrote:

Sounds good. 2.5 would be nice. You doing it all yourself.

Yep Confused Til I run out of talent Embarrassed
surf dude View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surf dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 12 at 21:30
Well, I'm expecting the van back tomorrow from the welders. It's cost a few quid, but it's now solid on the bottom 2 feet or so, so it should last a few years!!

So, I had a bit of a tidy and then got stuck into a few jobs. First up, I got a new dashboard as mine is full of holes and dents.

It had this little grille fitted over the centre speaker bit which I actually quite like

Might keep it and mount a central speaker under there. Anyway, I've attacked it with the stripper and it's looking smooth now. It'll get a coat of satin black I'm thinking and maybe a filler piece on the inset bit on top. I'm also looking for different windscreen vents as the fitted ones are a bit pants. Thinking Mini or something similar.

Then I got on with the new door panels as mine were shagged. Picked up some 6mm hardboard and had it cut roughly to size, then, using the old one as a template, i Marked up, drilled and cut out 2 new ones.

Pretty pleased with the way they came out actually. I fitted the old vinyl over one to see how it fits, They're slightly to big, but I'd rather they were that way round TBH. I'll try them on the van and see what they're like when it's back.

Finally, I decided to fit a clock in the new instrument pod in my usual ham fisted way ::) I now have some repair work to do with some filler and imagination!! Sure it'll look good when it's done though ;)

Hopefully, there'll be some pics of the van tomorrow.

Pete
surf dude View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surf dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 12 at 20:15
Well it rained ::) So, the body shop have kindly kept hold of the van until Monday (Fingers crossed it'll be dry) I've had a pretty productive day though. Finished stripping the dash with a variety of electric paint removal tools and finished off with a dose of Nitromors which did nothing at all apart from mean that I had to spend time getting rid of it all before painting.

Before paint though I filled a couple of holes. This one is the additional fan for the back which mine doesn't have.

And the lighter hole as I'll be fitting a 3 way jobber in the ashtray. Used a ground down washer, and then flattened copper pipe behind to fill in the hole ;)

Came out OK and with a bit of filler I'm sure they'll disappear nicely (Well, maybe!!)

Primer and matt black. Hasn't gone on too badly for a first coat but need to get some satin to finish it off. Filled holes don't look too bad, but I think they'll need another skim before it's right.

Then moved onto the bumpers. I'd wet sanded the rear one after a bit of a gash job, so this time I mixed the paint and thinner properly and applied it with a better roller. Looking pretty good so I bashed some of the dents out of the front one and did that too. They're drying in the garage now, although that may take a while as it's pretty nippy out there and I threw the last bit of paint on the top of the new fuel tank to give it a bit of extra protection.

Finally I spent a bit of time filling in the chop job I did on the clocks. Needs more, but getting there now. Bit of black on to show up how I'm getting on.

More tomorrow.

Pete
bananaman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 12 at 21:03
awesome thread pete-keep up the good work!
T5 T32 SWB Kombi 130ps
donecan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donecan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 12 at 10:44
Cracking job! Keep it coming :)
surf dude View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surf dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 12 at 11:23
Thanks guys, appreciate the support. I'll check on the bumpers in a bit (after obligatory Saturday shopping LOL )
surf dude View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surf dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 12 at 17:21
Bumpers are looking good, bit of a wet sand and polish and I think they'll look pretty damn good!

So, on Monday, as it was fairly dry, we decided to risk it and have the van delivered home. The driver bought a mate as we knew we'd have to try and get it up the slope into the garage! Good job too as the engine wouldn't start (no fuel tank, remember) but luckily the battery had enough juice to spin over and "drive" the bus up on each turn! Typically we had unloaded too close so had to do it in two goes ::) They deserved a cup of tea and a biscuit after that.

None of us getting it in the garage obviously!!

As soon as they left I had a good look around and so far it looks very good, although I still have plenty to do.......

Pics ;)

New front right wheelarch with fuel cap blanked over! I do have a plan for that......

New rear passenger floor, and there's a new chassis rail under that.

New locker floor and locker door catches

and a new rear right wheelarch

New front panel (there was a newish one on there. The only problem was that it had been welded straight on top of the rusty old one ::) )

And onto the other side! New rear wheel arch, closing panel and bottom bumper panel

And a new front right wheelarch

There's also repairs to the locker floor, bottoms of the B and C pillars on both sides, both jacking points front and rear, new sills under the locker doors, repairs to the front battery boxes and floors.......

Still to do welding wise is windscreen repairs and rear screen repairs, a couple of rust patches in the engine bay and a couple of other small holes around the rest of the body! And that's what I'll be cracking on with when I get back home!

There's a lot to do, but this has been a major mojo boost and now I just need to get stuck in  :P

Merry Xmas.

Pete

surf dude View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surf dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 12 at 17:27
One more, under the left hand locker door.

And just in case you've forgotten what it was like a couple of months ago........

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 12 at 20:23
looks smart fella! Thumbs Up
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 12 at 21:42
Looks nice and solid now. Its an awesome feeling when they roll off the truck all sorted isn't it.
I taste Hurty!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>