Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.6CS to AEF Engine Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 17 at 22:06
just thought i'd put this up here....
my aef's been in for possibly three months now and ive always had a rattle not long after fitting sometimes at tick over sometimes at full chat and sometimes all the time even with clutch depressed! i read somewhere that the newer engines vibrate a bit in the t3 because there now not harmonized  along with there old gearbox and engine mounts? i thought that was kindof bollox as ive put a fair few un-t3 engines in these buses! so i was having difficulty locating the noise i thought the worse and whipped off sump to check crank and con rods. all fine there..... so took of upper and lower cambelt covers off to have a mooch there. again looked fine but lots of metal filings? so a bit more messing turned up a spacer that had dropped down behind the oil pump pulley and was sat there rattling around! once i got that out i figured out where it had come from......to take the engine out the caddy (skoda) one of the engine mounts is just below the crankshaft pulley. when i took this off unbeknown to me theres a spacer that sits under that mount. it must of dropped out when i undid the bolts! so there you go just a heads up! i did think the engine was fucked hence taking the sump back off!
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
colinthefox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 17 at 22:42
Oooh!

Lucky it didn't jam the oil pump pulley then. That would have been terminal!
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

All sorts of other oil burners too.

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 10:46
oh yes made me tut i can tell you! i really thought it was main bearings or clutch problems....
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
skipperdiego View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipperdiego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 20 at 14:05
I'm waiting the AEF to arrive from the scrapeyard, I hope it's a no-ECU version
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 20 at 21:51
they are all non-ecu (kind of) some do have immob though
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
skipperdiego View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipperdiego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 20 at 00:23
I think it has immobilizer on injection pump

mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 20 at 00:53
That’s easily done. Post a photo of what you have.
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
roonster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 20 at 15:28
great write up this just installed an aef into our van but it's originally a petrol so I need to sort out wiring? Don't know if different 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 20 at 20:15
Originally posted by roonster roonster wrote:

great write up this just installed an aef into our van but it's originally a petrol so I need to sort out wiring? Don't know if different 

There will be a load of differences between the old Petrol wiring and the AEF. You'll need glow plug wiring and relay, and a light on the dash. If you have a tacho, that will operate differently, taking its signal from the W terminal on the alternator, as does the buzzer of doom. I can't really help with that as I've never converted from petrol to diesel, but others have, and may be able to help.
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 20 at 21:09
...........Oh, and of course the battery will need to be bigger. Diesel batteries are normally in the engine compartment. If leaving the battery in the front of the van, the size of the main cable to the starter motor will have to be increased substantially, and I'm not sure you can get a diesel starter battery shallow enough to fit under the seat.
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

roonster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 21 at 17:03
colin you were correct the battery I have is rather big for the diesel won't fit under seat so will move it to enige Bay, only managed to get this fores up briefly other day after waiting nearly a year lol
It fire so that a bonus still need to sort out wiring and exhaust but slowly does it lol sounded good tho 
ANY pointers with wiring guys would be appreciated as I say petrol to iesel conversion 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 21 at 22:49
Originally posted by roonster roonster wrote:

colin you were correct the battery I have is rather big for the diesel won't fit under seat so will move it to enige Bay, only managed to get this fores up briefly other day after waiting nearly a year lol
It fire so that a bonus still need to sort out wiring and exhaust but slowly does it lol sounded good tho 
ANY pointers with wiring guys would be appreciated as I say petrol to iesel conversion 

Well done for getting it running. Clap Sorry, I can't help you any more with the wiring.
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

roonster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 21 at 06:07
van past mot running fine then it all went shit !!!
Started to splutter and stutter s bit like lack of fuel ? Found a little leak so hopefully just that 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234