The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You're going to really hate me now!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 16:00
Originally posted by The Transporter The Transporter wrote:

Since when was a fucking van an aspirational vehicle

I owned 2 Hyundai vans and trust me a T5 is something very aspirational indeed.

The 2 I owned from new over 8 years where (1998-2001 H100 STD non Turbo) (2001- 2006 H100 DLX with a turbo) this was before I could afford  to buy into the VW T5

So I know just how bad a Hyundai is and bits drop off and break loads. To start with it was a nice surprise to find that when you own a T5 unlike a Hyundai the door handle can be used in cold weather without breaking off in your hand and you don’t need to change the radiator every 10-12 months due to it falling to bits

Sure some VW dealers are piss poor but all the Hyundai dealers I dealt with where cowboys and getting warrantee work done was unbelievably hard

I even had to speak to the importer to get recall work done on the front hubs as the dealer didn’t want to do it

The grass is not always greener

Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
dazoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 16:12
If we were all really after reliability, wouldn't we be driving Toyotas? If you consider just how widely they are used across the globe for the hardest of duties, you'd be pretty assured of how well they performed as workhorses. Go to the Carribean and every 'taxi/bus' thing is a Toyota. On Dominica they fill them to the brim with people - and I mean people on laps, people in the gaps between seats - and drive up volcanoes where the skill is to keep momentum to prevent the bus spinning up and sliding back down. They just never seem to go wrong.

But the Toyota is purely a workhorse, very little in the way of aesthetic appeal and few driver comforts. So I think the thing is we are buying into a mixture of fair reliability with probably better than average dealer support along with market-leading aesthetics, high levels of driver comfort and some brand image. A bit of a compromise really - the Toyota would probably be the better bet for sole traders who can't afford downtime and just need it to work with no suprise costs. 

But none of us wants to drive a basic van any more and we will accept more hassle just to have our comforts and our street cred. So everything is a compromise at the end of the day. I just think that a lot of us view the Hyundai as just too much of a compromise on quality set against cost.

Buy cheap, buy twice...(I know, I bought a cheap VW and now I've had to buy another much more expensive one to get what I wanted in the first place, losing a fortune in the process) 
05 T5 LWB Panel van
Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 16:21
I was going to buy a Toyota power van for the reliability after the Hyundai

But when I had my first test drive in a T5 back in 2004 it was just so much better. I'm on my second T5 now and it's been a great van for me Smile 
Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studioman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 17:37
Originally posted by Mr Hedgehog Mr Hedgehog wrote:

The 2 I owned from new over 8 years where (1998-2001 H100 STD non Turbo) (2001- 2006 H100 DLX with a turbo) this was before I could afford  to buy into the VW T5

So I know just how bad a Hyundai is and bits drop off and break loads. To start with it was a nice surprise to find that when you own a T5 unlike a Hyundai the door handle can be used in cold weather without breaking off in your hand and you don’t need to change the radiator every 10-12 months due to it falling to bits

Sure some VW dealers are piss poor but all the Hyundai dealers I dealt with where cowboys and getting warrantee work done was unbelievably hard

I even had to speak to the importer to get recall work done on the front hubs as the dealer didn’t want to do it

our local VW dealer is also the local Hyundai dealer...maybe they know a good thing when they see it!

Smile
Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 17:59
Originally posted by Studioman Studioman wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Hedgehog Mr Hedgehog wrote:

our local VW dealer is also the local Hyundai dealer...maybe they know a good thing when they see it!

Smile
How would you rate your local VW dealer?
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 19:34
Originally posted by dazoo dazoo wrote:

My experience of VW vans has been dire, my 85k example is shot to shit. Don't get me wrong, I bought a lemon, but it shows that even with a solid service history these vans can be destroyed in well under 100k. Turbo, clutch, DMF, heater, fuel pump, brake disks, crank sensors, etc etc all needing replaced within 5k miles of each other. It is in the garage at the minute with an undiagnosed starting problem that only happens when the vehicle has been left for a few hours.

My new (to me) van is going to be my car. Most of the time I will ponse about in it with little more than dive kit in it. Worst case it will do a few hundred miles every couple of weeks with a motorbike in the back. I'm hoping that that should not be too taxing. However it seems to me that people like me have created a demand for 'nice' vans. And 'nice' vans don't stand up to ritual punishment as a work van very well. 

Everyone on here hates slow agricultural diesel vans, we all like the VW image and the refinement. But I think they achieve that by using car-like components that just are not up to the job in the same way old vans used to be.

And let's not be naive about warranties - it will be a very involved calculation based on risk/reward. Hyundai are having to support a 5 year warranty to differentiate themselves and to break the stereotyping. That's easy to do when the engines etc that you use are simply revamps of engines with track records going back 8 years. Not so easy when you try to innovate, then it is very easy to get stung. And at the end of the day, if a manufacturer has a major cost on his hands re. warranty, well they just reject it. 
Was the mileage warranted ,  I think one of the major problems is that vans do high miles and are easy to clock
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 21:14
And cars always do less miles and are almost impossible to clockWacko
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 21:22

And cars always do less miles and are almost impossible to clockWacko
No some cars do high miles and can get clocked , but we are talkin about vans , whats the relavance .
Sorry should have said vehicle Dead
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
dazoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 21:30
The mileage appears to be genuine, I have a good history with the vehicle including all the MOTs and a VW service history until 50k-odd with independent services after that. I'm pretty sure there has been no opportunity for clocking.

05 T5 LWB Panel van
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 22:30
Sadly I know of one guy who leases his vehicles who routinely has them clocked, he has a maximum mileage agreement and so has them wound back before sending them for services.... IE runs them for 20k, has them wound back and then sends them for service so on the face of it the mileage is genuine... I'm told that it is just as easy to clock a car as it is to clock a van and there are plenty of 54 plate cars with higher mileage than my van.

Just about every panel on my van has a dent or a scratch, it will be run 'till it is scrap so the issue of resale value to tradesmen is not so great, If I wanted to maximise my resale value, then I would lovingly wash, wax and cosset the damned thing but I wouldn't be able to get any work done. Get yourself down to the auctions and see what the true value of T5s are, the trade knows that they are a wheeled money pit, it is just the badge snobs who believe that the T5 can do no wrong. Yep I'll be happy to replace my van with a new Toyota when the time comes, sure they are a little utilitarian and bland but I know plenty of tradesmen who run toyotas and to them my T5 is a bit of a joke. They are fine for light work and occasional use provided that you wax them every other day  but that is about it.
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 23:30
It strange how stories vary , I think there is a lot to this clocking thing especially on the contract hire vehicles , and I wonder just how many owners of medium miles used vans who complain of major wear problems have been caut with a van that clocked .

VW's were often a favourite for clocking because they were tough and didn't show the wear so it was easier to disguise the miles .

As for work vans I visited a customer the other evening . he had a brand new T5 breakdown/recovery van in the drive . It was fully kitted out with sortimo toolboxes and a car towing rig in the rear just like the AA use .
 He is the controller for a large independant breakdown / recovery company that covers the south west doing contract work for all the major companies AA RAC , green flag etc .
I chatted for a while and had a good look at the new Van. They run a huge fleet of vans and small lorries and find the T5 the best  . I asked which vehicles got the least calls for breakdown .   Answer was honda , his wife also did very high miles for her work and they had just bought a car to cope with that , a new golf Diesel , the old focus diesel she had was using lots of oil at 135k .
I got on the things i read on here about breakdown's on T5's he said they get less t5 call outs than other vans hence the reason they use them , however the modern ore complicated vehicles seem to break down more often due to the amount of electical control
dazoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 00:12
There may be something to the contract theory above. My van was previously a contract vehicle, so perhaps the 'clock before service' routine was being carried out?

That said, the rest of the van looks good. The cab is in good shape, wear on the wheel and gear lever look about right. Nothing stands out as looking like it is significantly higher mileage than quoted. 

At 85k since 2005, and it doing virtually no miles in the last year, the miles seem reasonable at over 17k per year. Who knows?!
05 T5 LWB Panel van
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 00:13
Originally posted by dazoo dazoo wrote:

The mileage appears to be genuine, I have a good history with the vehicle including all the MOTs and a VW service history until 50k-odd with independent services after that. I'm pretty sure there has been no opportunity for clocking.

VAG COM/VCDS can determine if the ECU has similar mileage (within 5%) to the dash cluster

Did you not get this checked already or did I imagine that?

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
John K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 05:38

Since when was a fucking van an aspirational vehicle......

Got to say, my van is an aspirational vehicle and pretty much all i want to do in it is swan about and look cool LOL.  I do office or fly in / fly out work and my van is purely for moving my bikes around or camping.   Not disagreeing that they might not be the best tool for tradies but clearly there are lots of buyers who have different priorities.
2006 T5 174 TDI 4motion LWB
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 16:02
Ha it suits some tradies , my van is like my work tidy clean and well organised . I dread other trades who turn up in heapes of dented crap with thier tools rusting in the back , because thier standard of work and finish is usually reflected in the state of the van they drive .
 And thats what customers think  for sure .
its doesn't have to be a new van or a VW my old 97 transit was still tidy and undented when i sold it in 2007 . 
Tony M View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Whine Merchant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 16:38
Originally posted by kernow kernow wrote:

Ha it suits some tradies , my van is like my work tidy clean and well organised . I dread other trades who turn up in heapes of dented crap with thier tools rusting in the back , because thier standard of work and finish is usually reflected in the state of the van they drive .
its doesn't have to be a new van or a VW my old 97 transit was still tidy and undented when i sold it in 2007 . 

Here here.
Poo IS funny.
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 18:27

I couldnt agree more Kernow

If someone cant be assed to look after their own gear how are they gonna go the extra mile with their work?

I purchased a used T5, which, oweing to it being coming off a private plate and being reregistered along with it the fact I`m ultra fussy regulary passes for a new van (even a dealer who was trying to sell me a new Vito made that mistake)

Even my old Vito which was constantly trying to shed its skin was always clean and organised, its not that hard and it looks so much better.

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Petehelmet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petehelmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 20:46

With you guys 100% this seem to be true with my fellow sparks anyway.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 20:58

Ha! my tools are too busy working to go rusty.. I agree that a wreck on wheels is not a good sign but a van without battle scars isn't eaning it's keep..... Bit quiet at the mo?LOL
Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studioman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 21:28

Ha! my tools are too busy working to go rusty.. I agree that a wreck on wheels is not a good sign but a van without battle scars isn't eaning it's keep..... Bit quiet at the mo?LOL

good point
chap who looks after our gear's fighting a losing battle
don't get me wrong, everything's clean and presentable but not anally so...

the image has to be right for us....too blingy, shiny and pampered can have the wrong effect if your trade isn't automotive

having said that if a bird craps on my car Angry that's a totally different matter!

Smile
VW T5 104 x1, Navara x2, Jeep GC 3.0CRD x1, BMW M3, Qashqai x1, ancient Sprinter x1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>