The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You're going to really hate me now!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 104T28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You're going to really hate me now!
    Posted: 07 Aug 10 at 09:51
Don't know why, maybe it was my Croyde observations, the VW bling generation, or maybe just a dripping, nagging feeling that I had finally had enough of VW......

Hope you are all sitting down....

I have bought a Hyundai I800s, sold the T5 to a mate and traded-in my wife's Golf for an X-Trail

I just cannot afford VW prices, mega depreciation, spec rip-offs, and extended warranty costs anymore and to be honest I want more fun and security from what little funds I have!

I am so impressed with the Hyundai which in VW guise would be a high spec Shuttle or low spec 'Velle, all for £14k (no vat) on a '59 plate with just 1k miles on the clock and over 4 years warranty remaining. Belive me, it drives really really well.....
A similar VW would no doubt be £25k or thereabouts with less warranty and heavier depreciation from such a high starting point.

The Golf has not been the paragon of reliability they're supposed to be and I am glad to see the back of it! The long hard winter got me thinking of small 4WD's (thanks studio for your input - what you say make alot of sense!) and when I saw a very clean dark blue X-Trail in my local nissan dealer I decided to do the full sweep!

Very pleased with everything and very pleased to have a change.
I will miss the VW badge and I will miss visiting the forum.

Wishing all of you the very best!

picture of car from the rear

picture of car from the front

Edited by 104T28 - 07 Aug 10 at 10:01
kawolsky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kawolsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 10 at 10:54
will you be joining the  Hyundai I800s forums?Wink
Hope it gives you the trouble free motoring you want and expect. i'm sure it'll be totally reliable and is a really "sensible" purchase....in fact owning that would cure my O.C.D..
Best of luck mate and if i see you parked in the Croyde beach carpark with boards on the roof i'll be stopping to get some surfing tips!!!!Smile

Edited by kawolsky - 07 Aug 10 at 10:54
104T28 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 104T28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 10 at 11:00
Originally posted by kawolsky kawolsky wrote:

will you be joining the  Hyundai I800s forums?Wink
Hope it gives you the trouble free motoring you want and expect. i'm sure it'll be totally reliable and is a really "sensible" purchase....in fact owning that would cure my O.C.D..
Best of luck mate and if i see you parked in the Croyde beach carpark with boards on the roof i'll be stopping to get some surfing tips!!!!Smile

Many thanks.
Yep I'm planning an autumn trip to north devon with the gang of nephews again so if you see a dark grey i800 with a smug looking bloke in it that'll be me! maybe I'll start another trend!
Seriously, really looking forward to a vehicle that just has everything as standard and absolutely no warranty worries for over four years....it's been a tough time with business and I this vehicle is just about perfect for where I am now...

And the X-Trail is pretty good as well, great fun & a happy wife!...but that's another story for another forum maybe!
Tony M View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Whine Merchant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 10 at 11:01
Good luck with that. If I had any sense, I wouldn't buy another T5, but i'm afraid I have always been a VW user and need my fix, at whatever cost. I'm off to pawn my wife's wedding & engagement rings now.

Edited by Tony M - 07 Aug 10 at 11:02
Poo IS funny.
104T28 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 104T28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 10 at 11:10
Originally posted by Tony M Tony M wrote:

Good luck with that. If I had any sense, I wouldn't buy another T5, but i'm afraid I have always been a VW user and need my fix, at whatever cost. I'm off to pawn my wife's wedding & engagement rings now.

I know what you mean, I too have been a huge fan of VW for many years and if funds permitted I'd probably remain in the fold. But at the moment I feel a sense of relief and expectation at the decision.

Good luck with your search, I'm sure the next fix is just round the corner....
Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studioman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 10 at 11:34
we are down to just one T5 in our little fleet and that's on borrowed time and it's really difficult knowing what to replace it with. our 4WD's (jeep GC & nissan) are all going strong and holding value extremely well and you'll find the X-trail a very good choice.

the i800 is remarkable value and actually (in fully glazed form) very similar to the T5, can't be a bad thing! and the AA road test seems to say that it drives better than the T5!

best of luck 104 with both your choices, sounds like you'll be getting much use, and most of all much fun out of them!

Smile

kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 00:15
good luck I really hope it lives up to your expectations , genuinely . 
The hyundai looks very much like the newer merc vito to me , its certainly nothing like a t5 .  Its the styling of the arches that make it so different to the T5 from the side , from the rear maybe , and the front just a little . 
I would certainly choose the Huyundai over anything french
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 00:35
I don't hate you, I just feel sorry for you and the fact that you will spend your Hyundia ownership trying to convince yourself that you made the right choice to own a mediocre vehicle

Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
Jack Clark View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 09:26
I rented one of those, it was truly awful, sorry.
Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studioman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 16:42
Originally posted by Mr Hedgehog Mr Hedgehog wrote:

I don't hate you, I just feel sorry for you and the fact that you will spend your Hyundia ownership trying to convince yourself that you made the right choice to own a mediocre vehicle

bit harsh, hope 104 doesn't visit again.
he seems very happy and it's a good decision for him on a restricted budget

good luck to him

Smile
Tony M View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Whine Merchant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 16:49
I've seen three whilst out and about today. Not the prettiest vans on the road
Poo IS funny.
Petehelmet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petehelmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 17:23
They are the younger interbred brother of the LDV Maxus can't see the T5 at all
God dam ugly
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 17:30
Originally posted by Petehelmet Petehelmet wrote:

They are the younger interbred brother of the LDV Maxus can't see the T5 at all
God dam ugly
Ha you saw it too , i tried to make people guess in another post , i thought i was the only one .check the wheels
 In fact if you look at the whole range its possible to see what they were . Iam sure one of the cars is an older Astra but i don't take much notice TBH .
Ahh hang on I can see the bit that looks like a T5 its got black tyres , made from similar rubber I don't doub't .
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studioman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 17:32
sorry but i thought 104 had bought an i800, not the panel van which we're all agreed is rather ugly

think the i800 is a good looking vehicle for it's type...let's face it we're not talking aston with anything in this category are we?

Smile
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 17:46
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder , it must be, just look at some the ugly cars out there , mostly French but not all . 
Those windows certainly improve it as will some alloy wheels , but its never going to win prizes or become an icon that people will want because its cool Sleepy 
It will be like all the other vans out there , worth a grand when its 10 years old and rust away slowly making the owner look like a Pikey

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 17:49
Originally posted by Studioman Studioman wrote:

bit harsh, hope 104 doesn't visit again.
he seems very happy and it's a good decision for him on a restricted budget

good luck to him

Smile

MaybeErmm, but I find Hyundai owners just seem to spend all their time justifying their purchase to you. I get fed with listening to the never ending “It’s built quite well, it doesn’t look to bad really” ETCSleepy

If you figure out where they save the money to be able to sell a van so cheap it’s a bit worrying as it can only be on parts and lack of R&D   

It’s not wages as an average Hyundai production line associate gets around $20,400 PA salary plus a bonus which is around $13,000 including the shares @ $3,700 that’s not dissimilar to a European wage

No one aspires to own a Hyundai (Unless you live in the third world) we should really be wishing this guy all the best and hoping that his business/job picks up. not saying its not so bad to own a Hyundai, because the truth is that it is bad really bad

Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
Jack Clark View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 17:50
The one I rented was only a year old, about 30,000 miles and falling apart inside and out. Admittedly it was a rental but everyone else on event got similar age VW's and spent a week laughing at me. 
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 17:53
Originally posted by kernow kernow wrote:

its never going to win prizes or become an icon that people will want because its cool Sleepy 

Very true, I just feel sorry for his nephews as that cool uncle with the VW van has now got a Hyundai EmbarrassedI bet they won’t be badgering for a lift to school in it

Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studioman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 18:00

Originally posted by kernow kernow wrote:

its never going to win prizes or become an icon that people will want because its cool Sleepy 

Very true, I just feel sorry for his nephews as that cool uncle with the VW van has now got a Hyundai EmbarrassedI bet they won’t be badgering for a lift to school in it

unbecoming of you spikey..really hope 104 doesn't visit here again

in any case he could be the coolest bloke on the planet for all we know, T5 or not LOL

Smile
dazoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 18:25
My neighbour talked me through how his 2005 Kia fiesta-alike was a better purchase than my Special Edition 2007 ML. It ranged from fuel economy to user satisfaction polls to diesel v petrol and finally to 'Mercedes are not what they used to be' (based on his recent experience driving a 2002 CL180 coupe base spec).

I didn't even attempt to argue back because either we have vastly different priorities or he was trying to justify himself. Either way, what is the point in arguing about it? He tells me he is happy, I'm happy too.

The same could be said here - the Hyundai is not a VW, but maybe it isn't trying to be. It is doing the same job but at a lower cost. Lose the 'status' (isn't this a van we're talking about?) and buy something that does the same job but cheaper, with less cudos (really?) and a few more rattles.

I can't see where anyone suggested the Hyundai was as good or better than the VW, it was just cited as an alternative that someone has decided to explore.
05 T5 LWB Panel van
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>