The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whirring sound from front of engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whirring sound from front of engine
    Posted: 07 Jul 19 at 22:08
Hey Brickies

Ive had a whirring sound coming from the front of my engine for a while. Sounds like a shitty bearing, and comes from the front of the engine, but very hard to tell where its coming from exactly.

Only hear it once the engine heats up, and it gets louder the more the engine is used. Mostly you only hear it when engine is idle as the revs drown it out.

It started not long after i got my distribution belt, water pump & injection pump belt done in a garage. Might be a coincidence, but might not. Not long after that the injection pump belt broke whilst driving so they obviously did a crap job.

The plastic tensioner wheel for the distribution belt is a little lumpy and corroded looking on top, which leads me to believe they didnt bother changing it when they did the rest. I will change it and let you know if it stops the sound.

Anyone else experienced this sound?

1995 LT 35 TD

Junk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 19 at 18:12
Forgot to update this... I changed the timing belt tension roller and idler roller... the tension roller was definitely not changed when i had my timing belt done 2000km ago, the surface was very bumpy.

Have only driven around town since the change, no big trips, but the sound appears to be gone now so I guess that was it.

Leaving for travel tomorrow so it will get its real test now.
 Post Reply Post Reply