FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich one

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which one
    Posted: 20 May 07 at 14:04

Looking at buying a T5 (2nd hand)which engine would be best.I want to keep this van for some time.

Seems to be a few issues with faults.What do  I need to look for or do I go merc vito instead.

Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 14:27

Every vehicle has issues apart from a MX5

If I was buying a new van for reliability it would be a Toyota Hiace followed by VW T5 104 or 85

I have the 104 and have had no reliability issues at all and it not pampered and my friend has a 85 and his has been fine to he didn’t even get any teething problems

Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
sinbad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 15:04
 I have a t5 85 roadmark and apart from the clonk (which has come back ) it has`nt caused me any trouble althought it has only covered 22000 miles , the trouble seems to come from the bigger engine models . As i only carry decorating materials and golf clubs the 85 engine suits me fine and could`nt be described as underpowered at all , i have found that the service and "care" of my vehicle when at the van centre to be somewhat " industrial " but you could say that about any manufacturer i suppose . One bit of advice i was given not just on here but from work colleagues was DONT BUY A VITO !!!!!!
roadmark69 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 15:27
Is this clonk covered under warranty and what year is yours.Iam looking at buying a 2005 and having after market windows fitted to avoid the leaking vw ones which vw made.
sinbad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 16:00
The clonk is covered and i think it`s on about it`s 6th or 7th fix , mine was registered dec 2004  .
Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 17:35
Go for a 104/102 - they're more reliable by far.....
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 17:58

The general rule on this thread/forum is not unlike 'global warming', mention it often enough and people will fall for it!

The poll we had recently indicates only 2 people with engine trouble but loads with electrical and trim trouble!

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13503& amp;PN=10

But there must be loads of us out there more than happy with both 4 & 5 pots.

Fifty pence View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 18:52

Hi 69, my advice would be a 4 pot engine.

Try to go for a late 05 if you can.

If your buying from a dealer, insist on them letting you have a look at the vehicles " history " on their computer. The less work it has had done the better.

If from an independent or private, take the Reg. to the a VW dealer instead.

Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 20:25

Thanks for the advice I will take reg number to dealer before making any purchase.

I just need to find one first thats not white(hopefully)and within 150miles of Leeds and has rear tailgate or wing doors with glass.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 20:29

Whats your budget 69 ?.

Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 20:43

The poll we had recently indicates only 2 people with engine trouble but loads with electrical and trim trouble!

An interesting point but I remember several different people mentioning turbo, flywheel and gearbox problems only on the 5 pot engines. I thought that generally it had been established that the four pots (& there five speed gearbox's) gave less trouble? I don't think anyone's trying to score points here but just trying to give the best advice. It'd be good to get some inside knowledge on this from VW, on warranty claims: 'what's most reliable? four pot or five pot?'

Hulkiebear View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 20:52

I've got a 174 kombi, no engine probs at all, usual clonk and window leakeyness, and a few other minor moans! but hey ho! Then I give it a good ranting and forget all about the bad stuff!

I saw a white T5 at the Heritage service dept in Bristol a few weeks ago, all colour coded bumpers and maybe spoilers too! A nice set of Alloys and it look really good! But then any T5 with coded bumpers do, I s'pose!

Kombi 174. Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 20:54

When speaking to the technician after my last big T5 repair, I asked him this exact question.

He said that faults had developed in more or less equal amounts across the 4 and 5 pot's , but it was the 5 cylinder models that had the " big " failures. ( engines/box's and turbo,s )

Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 21:11

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12692& amp;KW=business

an interesting [reminder] thread from a while ago with some alarming stuff from Martin, a fleet user with all five pot engines but sadly no four pots on his fleet to compare with....

Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 22:32

After reading all the faults it makes me wonder how good these vans are.

I want something that is reliable and not been sold on to me because its had problems.Even with a warranty it does not mean its reliable it just means VW pick up the tab.

I was looking for 2005 or 2006 model 1.9 102/104 but its got me thinking T4 might be a better choice.Might even consider toyota.

Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 07 at 07:10

I was looking for 2005 or 2006 model 1.9 102/104 but its got me thinking T4 might be a better choice.Might even consider toyota.

T5 you suggest would be a great choice and [in my opinion] give you the least problems; in fact it should be quite reliable at that age. The T4's are excellent but now feel abit old, abit tired... And the Toyota, whilst very reliable is also very very boring!

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 07 at 09:09

Originally posted by Studioman Studioman wrote:

... And the Toyota, whilst very reliable is also very very boring!

The Toyota Hiace diesel I test drove before buying my T5 didn't handle very well on the highway and was very very very noisy (I would need to wear ear-plugs to stave off industrial deafness on a trip).  But based on my past experiences with several toyotas I would expect it to be as reliable as a stone axe, something that cannot be said about all T5s.

Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 07 at 11:16
Originally posted by roadmark69 roadmark69 wrote:

Might even consider toyota.

My mates HiAce is thirsty as hell on the motorway, less than 20mpg at 70-80.

....and that cab might be OK for 3 little guys but no good for 3 roofers!

Edited by Berisford
Freeley View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 07 at 21:24

Yes i used to have one and on the rare occasions we had 3 in the front it must've looked hilarious, all squashed in like sardines!

Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 07 at 20:37

Decided to stick with getting a T5 just have to find one,and a I am not looking at 2.5 model but  it will be a case of what comes up at the right price and which has not spent to much time being fixed.I will also be looking for something with waranty just in case.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>