The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where do I go from here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tontoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where do I go from here
    Posted: 19 Dec 15 at 19:34
Seems like an age since I have posted, missed all of the gatherings this year. Managed to catch up with a Paulj at a local campsite and Bought myself a nice mk2 caddy tdi to play with.

The single cab has been sold, the multivan is sat looking very sorry for its self, hasn't been used at all this year.we have gone back to using canvas tent due to the hassle of Un hooking the awning etc if we want to go out.

The t3 isn't working for us. Due to work etc
We normally spend upto an hour setting up when we get there, putting the awning up etc.

We are thinking of building our own out of an lt. This would mean park up, throw the chairs out and plug in the hookup

Whats the opinion chaps
LIFE IS JUST A GAME WE PLAY
CAMPERJAM TUG OF WAR TUGGER
Tee4 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'm not indecisive,or am I?You bet I am!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 15 at 20:05
The T4 is the main vehicle we use these days for weekends away. However the doka may get it`s fair share of outings next year. 
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 15 at 21:00
?Was that LT I saw there?

You are in the wrong section. You need 'Wanted Nice LT' LOL
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 15 at 22:23
We use a large tent for longer stays, and an Eriba pan familia for short breaks. T3 has a wind out Fiamma too. The Eriba is an asset so if it didn`t work out we`d get our money back. It gives you the freedom you`re missing, to drive away. If you don`t want to get rid of the Multivan it could work. 
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
tontoe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tontoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 15 at 22:35
We really love the multi, but I think it's more for aesthetics than practically
We need more space but without putting up an awning mk2 lt would give us all this but it doesn't have the aesthetics

Edited by tontoe - 19 Dec 15 at 22:36
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 15 at 10:01
I wanted more space and originally went coachbuilt but it was too big to use in many places.
I bought this westy in Feb.
Its a mwb westfalia james cook and it suits us to a tee.
Only an awning to wind out and it fits in a standard parking space!

Edited by jason k - 20 Dec 15 at 10:30
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 15 at 10:28
If you want to self build a LT these are worth a look
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/lt-35-mwb-camper-build_topic74203.html

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/lt35-lwb-camper-build_topic89681.html
aberdare. south wales

lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 15 at 10:34
you have a james cook?! God im jealous..
16" syncro multivan
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 15 at 10:39
Yeah lloydy! Got it this year after selling our karmann Missouri. Its Got diff lock too!!
We're very happy with it even though its got a very pink bathroom!

Edited by jason k - 20 Dec 15 at 10:42
aberdare. south wales

mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 15 at 10:53
^^  The bathroom is a work of art.  
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
tontoe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tontoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 15 at 16:53
Cheers for the reply and there is a lot to think about
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 15 at 18:37
The multivan will always sell! Its a rare bus!
I like the extra space a bigger van gives!
Or as said get a wobble box to tow and kip in!
aberdare. south wales

Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 15 at 19:28
Here`s the little Eriba. Very light and easily towed(690kg) It does make for a flexible set of options coupled to a Multivan. 

Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 15 at 19:56
I like that!
aberdare. south wales

Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 15 at 21:34
cheers Jase. The van or the Eriba? It looks better hanging off the back of the T3 but the wife wants climate when we go south! 
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 15 at 22:00
Both! nice setup!

I had a similar notion last year and bought a 2.5 sa bus but didn't get on with it!
aberdare. south wales

Nugget View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 15 at 00:16
Personally for our family I don't think there is an ideal solution and there will always be a compromise one of the main reasons for this is that our van is also my wifes daily and our family transport so whatever we have needs to fit in any car park and fit under height barriers this is what led us to sell our Westy high top and buy the Multivan pop top, this was after experimenting with the high top and a micro caravan, and then a T4 caravelle and a huge tent.  Our kids are still young at 6 and 8 but the Multivan is proving to be the best solution to date, its bloody brilliant on day trips, excellent when me and the boy go to Silverstone classic and camp for  the weekend with no awning required but week long holidays with an awning are a challenge, clothes storage is an issue as is dropping the beds every day and uncoupling and coupling the awning (which I've got sussed now), the extra room the multivan has over a full camper is a real bonus but I do think there will be a time when we outgrow it, I just hopes its not too soon as we bloody love our bus even with its compromises.
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 15 at 08:18
Ah yes I remember you buying that SA bus Jason. Not in the same league as that Mercedes you have now! I`m guessing with the progression of vehicles you`ve had it suits you well enough to have a dedicated camper on the drive way. 

Nugget, in France it`s not at all uncommon to see factory pop top Multivans, both T3 and T4 and this might be the ultimate solution for flexibility, coupled with a quick erect cooking tent and/or a wind out awning. I do like to drive away from site so the Eriba is great for a pull up and get on with option. They are a proper little tardis too. Our boys same age as yours, and now love having their own ridge tent to kip in. Just had a third child though so a new evolution must take place! 
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Nugget View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 15 at 13:46
Originally posted by timmythedog timmythedog wrote:

Nugget, in France it`s not at all uncommon to see factory pop top Multivans, both T3 and T4 and this might be the ultimate solution for flexibility, coupled with a quick erect cooking tent and/or a wind out awning. I do like to drive away from site so the Eriba is great for a pull up and get on with option. They are a proper little tardis too. Our boys same age as yours, and now love having their own ridge tent to kip in. Just had a third child though so a new evolution must take place! 

That's food for thought, I had been thinking a wind out awning and a separate tent might be a good progression, don't get me wrong I think the Kyham drive away awning is great in concept but it just doesn't quite work for longer holidays and I can't put my finger on why, perhaps its how it closes off the van or because the awning is also the walkway to the van I'm not sure I've just never really settled into it, however your idea of getting the children their own tent to kip in could possibly free up a bit of space and make it easier to pack up each day,  hmmmm
Nugget View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 15 at 13:53
Having said all that I just had a look at cooking tents, they look like a good idea, it would clear loads of stuff out of the awning and make it a more livable space, the only issue would be how twitchy campsites are about having a van+awning+cooking tent, I know of  a few that probably wouldn't mind but there's also some I know of that I'm sure would not allow one. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>