The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wheel spacers, big ones!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 11:45
I thought 'dicking around' with VW's was supposed to be part of the fun? Big smile

I just wondered if anyone else had come across the situation where they have had to bolt adapters and spacers together.

I'm pretty determined to get the wheels on (safely) as I don't reckon theres many other (if at all) T3's around wearing this combination of wheels. It will just make mine more individual.
Drop in late but show up early
shapey View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shapey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 10 at 17:05
why not phone your insurance and see what they have to say about it.
after all, it's them that'll be paying out (or not) if a wheel does come off...

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 10 at 20:15
so.... if ive got this right...

your wheels are ET65?

You have 25mm adaptors, and 20mm spacers?

Thats 45mm so your currently at ET20. And you want to space out even more?

Seriously... get some different wheels

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 10 at 20:22
alternatively... if you really want to do it... and youre aware that at ET20 and below youre waaaaaaaay out of the recommended ET for a T3, and accept that things like replacing tyres and rear bearings may well become a regular thing...

http://cgi.ebay.de/Adapterplatten-Spurverbreiterung-RH-35mm-5x112-/180342166562?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item29fd3b1422

Edited by Tee3 - 09 Jun 10 at 20:22

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 02:32
ive got 10x18 et 20 on the back of my crewcab
with 285 35 tyres.

10 inch wide  rea wheels are a hard one to get just right in 18"

i would not go any lower than an effective et of 20 because your goung to be close to the arch lip as it is.

thats how mine sit..
will do a side on shot fi need be..
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
Aspo13 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 08:31
Thanks for the responses, but wheel arch clearance isn't the problem for me as they're going on a Gipsy so I've got loads of room at the back.

I know that I'm going to put the wheel bearings under extra strain, but just how much I don't know how to calculate.

However at the moment I've just got a T4 Caravelle to replace our passat and the wife thinks I went slightly over budget so I've been told that some of my spare wheels/parts have got to go including the GT3 rims. I think the easiest option is maybe to just get another pair of 7.5" fronts to make up a set but the wife will almost certainly kill me if I did this at the moment.

To be fair I have built her a kitchen extension and then forgot to actually buy a new kitchen so I think she has a fair point! LOL

I will post up a for sale thread with all of my wheels and my T3 sgl cab pickup as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 22:45
Seriously, for all the dicking about you are going to do why not get a machine shop just to make you some adapters in the right size.
it will probably be cheaper, lighter, stronger and safer.
But, just remember, or think of the extra load you are putting on the wheel fittings as you have now increased the leverage on them massivley.
If it;s lowered what about spacing the rear hub away from the trailling arm? you will have a small amount of "grace" as the shaft that was used to being at an angle towards the gearbox is now almost parallel with the road.
Aspo13 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 23:18
Thanks for all the opinions.
Wife wins - wheels are going.

Looks like the gipsy will be on a set of RS4 rims for the forseeable future!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12