FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWheel Clearance on Suspension Leg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel Clearance on Suspension Leg
    Posted: 27 May 07 at 13:13

I'm fitting 7 1/2 x17 audi wheels. I've used 10mm spacers, but on refitting the tyres, the tyre's rim protector is only about 1.5mm clear of the suspension leg (the tyre sticks out further than the rim). I'm planning only to fit additional 3mm spacers to give greater clearance.

I'm fine doing this in terms of the et, which will finish up as 32, but I want to keep the wheels as inboard as possible - hence I want to go for the minimum clearance.

I know that the donor car (Audi A6 Quattro) had minimal wheel clearance, because it can't take snow chains.

Does anyone know what the minimum gap is between the T3's suspension leg and tyre/rim? 4.5 mm sounds adequate but I'd value additional opinions!

Also, if anyone knows where I can get some little resin VW badges for the centre caps, I'd be very grateful. 

Kind regards

Simon

Edited by SimonH
Simon
Schimke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 07 at 20:07
If it were mine, I would run with it like it is. On my Bus, I have right around 2mm of clearance which I feel is plenty. If your really worried about it, add one more millimeters worth of spacer. That would give you 2.5mm of clearance.
SimonH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 07 at 14:05

Thanks - I've had them fitted today and the garage have actually stuck 16mm of spacer in. They say it gives clearance of 3mm. I'm spending more on spacers than I do on beer...

Cheers

Simon

Simon
 Post Reply Post Reply