The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Westy grey paint - interior metal work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Westy grey paint - interior metal work
    Posted: 07 Feb 15 at 22:30
Evening all, does anyone know of a good match to the factory grey colour that all the westfalia metal parts were finished in? Was thinking about juts trying to get if matched at local paint suppliers but I've noticed it's satin and not gloss and they never seem to have any matting agent when I've asked in the past
SebRogers View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebRogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 15 at 06:58
I used Ford Polar Grey. It's a reasonable match, but a bit lighter than the original colour. Doesn't matter if you're doing all the metalwork
'85 T3 Doka EJ22
'94 T4 Westy Cali Club ABT 2.4td
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 15 at 02:27
The colour you need is RAL 7037 'Staubgrau' in satin finish.

Most decent paint suppliers should be able to mix that for you, or google for mail-order places. You can also get 500ml aerosols of it on eBay.
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
mattjarvis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattjarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 15 at 19:28
Speaking from personal experience don't try and rattle can it - mine looked crap. Find a local powder coaters and get them to blast and re-coat it - had all of my interior metalwork done for around £100 from a place in Sheffield and it looks great. 
SebRogers View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebRogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 15 at 20:07
Originally posted by mattjarvis mattjarvis wrote:

Speaking from personal experience don't try and rattle can it - mine looked crap. Find a local powder coaters and get them to blast and re-coat it - had all of my interior metalwork done for around £100 from a place in Sheffield and it looks great. 

I'm sure that's great advice, but I rattle canned the seat bases on my T4 Westy and they're fine Thumbs Up In my experience it's all in the prep. The final couple of coats took no time at all. The endless wet and dry prep nearly did my head in, but it was worth it for the end result.

Powder coaters defo the quicker option though!
'85 T3 Doka EJ22
'94 T4 Westy Cali Club ABT 2.4td
youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 15 at 21:27
Cheers, a very good friend of mine runs his own powder coating business and said it would be cheaper for me to paint rather than buy the box of powder. Il google the Ral code thanks
phelps69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phelps69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 15 at 08:25
If you go on ebay, there is actually an auction for the said grey paint where you can choose a tin of 1/2 or 1 litre paint, not rattle can, which should give you what you want. £8.00 plus postage for the smaller tin. Got to be cheaper and less time consuming than removing all the metal and powder coating if a little less 'pretty'
1990 California - Masala Red
2008 S6
1996 Disco Muncha off roader
 Post Reply Post Reply