The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Westie Pop Top Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Westie Pop Top Conversion
    Posted: 10 Sep 08 at 21:01
I got busy with the jig saw todayWacko and started my mosaik conversion.

Got the roof, luggage tray and mosaik bits back from the paint shop last week,  I've been at the the metal work with a wire brush on the end of a drill,  it all came up lovely. Painted up the luggage strap brackets, replaced all the nuts and bolts with shiny new ones, stuck on a new set of rubbers and some Brickwerks Westfalia stickers and it looks brand spankersSmile

When I picked up the frame and bed from Lance,  he and I marked the roof with his jig.

I cust small hole first so I could remove 3 headling brace poles and then cut a hole on the headling so I could work from inside the van

Shit me self at this point!

Then cut the full size hole, I did it a bit at a time as didn't want to cut it to big, offering up the frame to get it spot.

I'm going fit the luggage rack and roof hinges before I rivet the frame in place, so I can sort the headling when fitting the frame.

Should be interesting trying to bolt up the hingesConfused I've Pulled the headling down at the rear but theres a lot of metal in the way.   If you've done this before how did you get on ?

VeeDunk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeeDunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 08 at 21:58
Mate,

Looks like you have been working hard...me and my brother-in-law fitted a Westy roof to his Caravelle earlier this year. We didn't use bolts and nuts for the hinges, we used great big self-cutting/drilling hex head bolts, I think they are made by Hilti. Anyway, they are great and work really well, saved us taking the headlining down, just drilled a pilot hole and then screwed them in, there is plenty of steel for them to grip.

Also, it may be worth screwing the ali frame down, as you will need to lift it back up again to fit the canvas...just a thought??

Good luck with the rest of it.

Duncan

Edited by VeeDunk - 10 Sep 08 at 22:00
vw venom View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vw venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 08 at 22:03
hi dude looks fantastic,ive made my bed in blue,will post pics of bluestar /weststar when ive got everything done,but that looks great,
as for hinges we pulled down a small section with pliers ,just enough to slot the metal bars in and loctite them in place giz a call if you need info lance 01985851232
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 08 at 22:23
Duncan

Those Hilti bolts sound interesting certainly would make it alot easier,  as you say there is plently of metal for them to grip into.

Thats not the frame that holds the canvas down mate, thats much bigger and sits on the roof fixed down with self tappers.
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 08 at 22:24
Originally posted by vw venom vw venom wrote:

hi dude looks fantastic,ive made my bed in blue,will post pics of bluestar /weststar when ive got everything done,but that looks great,
as for hinges we pulled down a small section with pliers ,just enough to slot the metal bars in and loctite them in place giz a call if you need info lance 01985851232

Alright  Lance,  get on and finish it thenSmile
vw venom View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vw venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 08 at 23:18
old pic but roofs on now
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/lcoldwe/DSCF0335.jpg
www.vwelevation.com

Edited by vw venom - 10 Sep 08 at 23:20
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 08 at 17:39

I've got the roof on now,  I decided to make up some brackets that I could slide into the gap below the hinges using the waist steel from the roof, they aint pretty and my welding is frankly shiteEmbarrassed but the worked well. It was fiddley as feck lining them but managed it in the end.  The headlining is back up and all is goodSmile

Edited by Minivtec - 15 Sep 08 at 09:14
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 08 at 10:14
Nearly finshedSmile just got to trim up the headlining and fit the new canvasConfused

vw venom View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vw venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 08 at 11:34
awesome fella 
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 08 at 13:32
Finished it Smile just need to swap the beige rubber trim for some black stuff and get a mattress for the front section of the bed. 

Lance's mosaik repro works really well.  I'm well happy with the end result. 

VeeDunk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeeDunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 08 at 16:59
Looks a great job mate, well doneWink
plonker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plonker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 08 at 22:53
nice. can you come round and fit my canvas now. thanks for advice on various different roof bunks
jj-joker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jj-joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 08 at 23:08
Great thread - some nice work there (like the colour too). Mind if I ask which canvas you've used? Seems to be varying price levels out there and interested in quality diffs. etc.
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 08 at 23:47
Canvas is a from gowesty it's the Acrylic one. I can't compare it to any others as it's the only one I've had,  but I'm very impressed with it, superb quality. I went for based on some other positive comments on here, with £69 import duty, it's a fair bit more than the JK one, but  I'd read some negative comments about the JK canvas. 

jj-joker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jj-joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 08 at 20:10
Originally posted by Minivtec Minivtec wrote:

Canvas is a from gowesty it's the Acrylic one. I can't compare it to any others as it's the only one I've had,  but I'm very impressed with it, superb quality. I went for based on some other positive comments on here, with £69 import duty, it's a fair bit more than the JK one, but  I'd read some negative comments about the JK canvas. 

Thanks. Like they always say, quality costs.

Cheers, JJ  
Robw_z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robw_z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 08 at 09:28
Where did you get the kit to raise the bed?  I've never seen something like that here in the US.

-Rob
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 08 at 17:18
Originally posted by Robw_z Robw_z wrote:

Where did you get the kit to raise the bed?  I've never seen something like that here in the US.

-Rob

Rob,  I got it from "VW venom"  his name is Lance,  he's reproduced VW's orignal conversion parts,  he's posted on this thread so you can contact him if your interested

Edited by Minivtec - 19 Sep 08 at 17:19
briansr1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briansr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 08 at 19:17
I own an 85 Vanagon.  Where do you order the pop up conversion??

Thanks,
Briansr1
briansr1
vw venom View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vw venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 08 at 19:50
hi brian www.vwelevation.com
briansr1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briansr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 08 at 20:03
Thanks,

I will try to contact them.
Appreeciate your help.

Brian
briansr1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>