Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Westfalia Instructions Please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie
turkey drummer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark-Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Westfalia Instructions Please!
    Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 07:19
Greetings Fellow T3 Lovers. 
I'm new in town, but a long dedicated T3 owner. My first bus is a 1980, Westfalia with a 2.0ltr. Air-cooled Engine. She is going strong. 

Yesterday, I became the proud owner of a 1990 California T3. Immaculate & totally original Westfalia. It's all modern, grey & shinny inside, quite a different experience from my 1980, although principally they are identical. 

The California came with a VW instruction manual, but nothing about the Westfalia bit. I'm already scratching my head..... here's a couple of questions for sure all of you will know, but for me, it's rocket science this-morning. 

Firstly, The Van has two batteries. One under the drivers seat (LHD) which (like my other T3) is the Caravan battery, and then one under the passenger seat which is the engine battery. There are no external switches, volt meters or anything else. From the start, I notice that all the interior lights work off the Engine Battery!, so I wonder what the Caravan Battery is actually doing?..

On the cooker front is a set of LED lamps and two micro switches. 
One Switch seems to have something to do with which battery the LED's are reading (I think), the other switch switches off the LED display accept for one red LED....  Any ideas? 

Does anyone have a standard Westfalia wiring diagram? 
Still in the same area, Behind the drivers seat on the bulkhead of the Sink,  is a bank of 4 fuses. I screwed them all out, but nothing happened. Are you 12V or 240v?

From what I can see, the fridge, cooker unit & bedding area seem almost untouched. The LPG Tank that feeds the fridge & cooker is 95% empty & I get the impression that these have not been used for many years. Is there a service sheet for servicing the Electrolux Fridge?.. I imagine it is full of dust!... The 12v & 240V of the fridge I am told works & as said, it all looks brand new, save the dust!... Tips, ideas? 

Lastly, on this 1990 model VW, is there an automatic system to switch over batteries, or dual charge them?, I'd appreciate if someone knows how the system works (in standard format)

That's a lot I know......, but would be very grateful indeed. I've a good technical head, a head for wiring & general engineering, but just want to know a bit before I start delving into sorting this all out.

Thanks a million in advance. 

Mark..Amsterdam
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 08:13
Welcome to the forum Mark.

You may want to take a look in here:

and here:

Most of the information you need is there.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 10:28
and just for fun, enjoy opening your hanging wardrobe without first moving the table out.Smile
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Mark-Hans View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
turkey drummer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark-Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 10:29
THANK YOU Tongue

The Manual tells me everything I need (ed) to know.

Now I can go and sort it all out.

One questions left..... Does the standard Westfalia California (1990) model come with an internal 220v - 12v battery charger. If so, where is it placed in the van...

My plan is to separate the Motor Battery & The Caravan Battery with two master switches so it is impossible to take juice from the Motor Battery (providing you switch it off of course) when Camping..... Both batteries will have a Voltmeter each which is set into the dashboard, so at a glance, you can see exactly how much power is in each unit. This system I have on my Old T3 & it is fail safe. Also, removing both Master Switches renders the van almost impossible to steel Star.......

Thanks again....

Mark..Amsterdam
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 10:51
Should be under the rear seat to the left(if original still intact.
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Mark-Hans View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
turkey drummer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark-Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 11:09
Thank you for your reply!... Under the rear seat is a box which seems to house the rear heater. Haven't looked inside of it yet, but there is a switch in the dash that turns on the blower....., other than that, the whole space is wonderfully clean and 'empty'. Just checked to see if there were drillings etc, nothing!...

So, I don't have one I suppose. Recommendations as to where to get one & install it? 

Great Forum, loads of information........ Thanks 
Mark..Amsterdam
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 11:49
I think one normally sits on top of the other, but can't remember which is on top, so it might be underneath the heater?Smile
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 19:51
Search for westy wiring mod it will tell you all you need to know about seperating the wiring

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

JonnyAtlantic View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyAtlantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 20:44
1990 Westfalia Atlantic 1.6TD - Pop Top
rallyraid View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rallyraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 12 at 21:58
Originally posted by Mark-Hans Mark-Hans wrote:

Thank you for your reply!... Under the rear seat is a box which seems to house the rear heater. Haven't looked inside of it yet, but there is a switch in the dash that turns on the blower....., other than that, the whole space is wonderfully clean and 'empty'. Just checked to see if there were drillings etc, nothing!...

So, I don't have one I suppose. Recommendations as to where to get one & install it? 

Great Forum, loads of information........ Thanks 

In that box should be the the black box which charges the batteries when hooked up on 240v.

The rear heater ( eberspacher ) system is underneath the van by the sliding door.
Mark-Hans View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
turkey drummer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark-Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 12 at 06:37
Thank you all for your kind attention. Great. I assume that the BBB was an optional extra!...I'll indeed have to buy one. Maybe I can find a good second hand one, sure they'll be around. 

Sorted!......... 
Mark..Amsterdam
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 12 at 06:57
Originally posted by Mark-Hans Mark-Hans wrote:

Thank you all for your kind attention. Great. I assume that the BBB was an optional extra!...I'll indeed have to buy one. Maybe I can find a good second hand one, sure they'll be around. 

Sorted!......... 

if you dont have one, i would take the opportunity to fit a more modern, efficient unit.
The original charges were very basic. There is much better available... see above

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

Mark-Hans View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
turkey drummer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark-Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 12 at 07:30
Went Down Again to Miss Saigon. Under the rear seat to the left is a wiring block all nearly tucked way in a cable box. In that box is three sets of connectors. One with a Large Red Wire & Brown Wire. (probably 240v). There was another connector which has three wires in it. Red with a yellow tracer & a couple of others, so I think they go to the Leisure battery. And another connector too. I think the BBB was removed at some time or maybe not fitted at all. Does the BBB charge both batteries or just the Liesure one? Should I fit an original BBB or simplicity of hooking up or other suggestions. I'd like to charge both batteries of course, which is useful when the van is standing for a long time during the winter months.....

MH..... Big smile
Mark..Amsterdam
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyAtlantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 12 at 09:18
The BBB (if fitted!) charges both batteries as Westfalia wired the sink/fridge?eber heated to it and the interior lights to the engine battery.

If you do the wiring modification to run the interior lights, door courtesy lights, stereo and cigarette lighter on the leisure battery as mentioned above.  Then the alternator will always keep the engine battery ok.  The leisure battery can then be charged by the new charger you fit.  
AS described in the link above to replace the charger a toggle switch is also fitted to the new charger, so should you need to charge the engine battery just flick over the switch and change batteries.

Mark-Hans View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
turkey drummer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark-Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 12 at 09:40
Greetings Jonny. You know allot about electrics. OK, I get the drift on all of this. I'm going to switch around the interior lights for sure to start. I appreciate it's essential not to have the batteries linked in any way for sure. Not entirely sure how VW/Westfalia keep these units apart.....yet charge them together with the Alternator...........
I'm going to run Separate Voltmeters for both batteries & two main switches so batteries can be isolated complete or simply switched off. I only need a 2amp permanent feed for the radio memory & clock, so that I will run off the motor battery. On the standard charging system (from the 90amp alternator), I suppose the charge runs through a diode, thus avoiding 'connecting' the batteries?.. I know there are various solutions to this, one which is fitted to my Old VW, which is a big Diode block mounted in the engine bay, directly to the side of the Alternator. One wire in from the Alternator, and two wires out, A, for the Motor Battery & B for the leisure battery.... YOu familiar with this?, or does VW build this in on the later models such as mine...... Thanks again...... 

Is the BBB available to buy new? or good second hand?..
Mark..Amsterdam
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyAtlantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 12 at 11:13
Under the seat next to your leisure battery is a relay which controls feeds from the alternator when engine running and isolates batreries when not. It's a 'twin make and break' 5 terminal relay. This controls what you describe above. These are prone to being melted on 20+ year old westies. If they are they can connect the two batteries and they will bring each other down and discharge themselves. Or it will prevent charge to the leisure battery from the alternator.   

I'm no expert on all this but these are all the things I have had to learn as mine was not working when I bought it.
Good luck and there is loads more info on this forum. Your only just getting started!
 Post Reply Post Reply