The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Westfalia Florida control panel winter switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTNinick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Westfalia Florida control panel winter switch
    Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 08:47
Does anybody know what exactly this switch does? (switch with a star on it) From my experience I guess that it should turn on some heat trace somewhere but I've had the waste tank off and there is nothing there that would suggest this, the fresh water is inside and can't see anything like this.
Any ideas?

Nick
1990 Westy Florida
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 08:58
pre heater for the gas 
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

LTNinick View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTNinick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 09:00
Thanks t'onion, how cold does it have to be to start using this?
1990 Westy Florida
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 09:19
I was camping the other month ,-5 outside and I didn't use it , the manual that I have says -15 but my german is shitunhousun

miserable fooker

LTNinick View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTNinick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 09:28
Thanks for the info t'onion, my german is also shitesunhousen hence the original question.
Cheers
1990 Westy Florida
F***OWL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F***OWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 10:36
according to the translated manual from Matthew and from somewhere else the * is the frost protection for the water heater in the roof, it is only a few watts (I think 5W). I switch it on if the van is going to be below freezing for any length of time,
'89 LT28 2.4TD Westfalia Florida
'89 BMW K75 Flying Brick
'89 Yamaha YFU1W Pro-hauler Quad

LTNinick View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTNinick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 10:42
Translated manual !?! How do I get a copy of this?
1990 Westy Florida
Dedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 10:43
the manual says to turn it on starting from +5 degree and to turn it on about 15 minutes before starting to use anything on gas.
'86 LT28 Diesel Sven Hedin
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 10:46
Well thats got me puzzled, because when i first got the Florida I tested the Gas preheater to see if it was working , I turn on the * switch as per manual and touched the heating block on the tank and it was warm ?
Didnt know there was a anti ice thing in the water heater ,the manual says to drain the tank if theres a chance of a deep freeze ..
I was going to get the translated manual off ebay but the seller isnt trading anymore
Ermm

miserable fooker

t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 10:52
Originally posted by Dedo Dedo wrote:

the manual says to turn it on starting from +5 degree and to turn it on about 15 minutes before starting to use anything on gas.

yup just babeled the german and the EIS-EX and it is +5 for 15mins Thumbs Up

miserable fooker

F***OWL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F***OWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 14:22
I may have it completely wrong, I thought I had read that the water heater had a frost protection element, I'll revisit the water heater's manual

shame the translated Florida manual is not around anymore, 
'89 BMW K75 Flying Brick

F***OWL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F***OWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 14:47
yep I had it completely wrong, this winter I must have had the most heated gas regulator in the world,
'89 BMW K75 Flying Brick

Dedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 20:52
Originally posted by F***OWL F***OWL wrote:

I may have it completely wrong, I thought I had read that the water heater had a frost protection element, I'll revisit the water heater's manual

shame the translated Florida manual is not around anymore, 

It should have a frost protection element infact, but it is not a defrost element like the eis-ex (when LPG passes from liquid to gas it subtract heat from ambient and it can frost so it is necessary to apply heat). The frost protection of the water heater simply consists of a valve which will open under certain temperatures to empty the system.
'86 LT28 Diesel Sven Hedin
clownspicy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clownspicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 10:19

Hi, I am still selling the Florida manuals on eBay + other translations I have done e.g Sven Hedin repair manual.  I'm just listing them one by one as I can only spare the time to create them one at a time.

Just search for 'VW Florida' or items being sold by 'clownspicy' and you'll find it.

I can confirm that the * button heats up the gas regulator on the tank and is to be used when the temperature drops below 5 degrees C.  It should be turned on 15 minutes before using any gas appliance.

1990 VW LT Florida 2.4td

1968 Citro-en DS

1998 Vespa ET4
 Post Reply Post Reply